Eye of Minds Review | Teen Ink

Eye of Minds Review

By 3armiger SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3armiger SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

James Dashner, the author of The Maze Runner, has indulged in a new storyline that is once again in a futuristic setting — a compact city where the population is overflowing, and they get in coffins to play video games. This is the book The Eye of Minds. 

Michael, the main character, is a high school kid with a rich family that he never sees because he is always playing in his video game reality while his parents are taking trips all around the world. He has friends but he has never met them before because the only time they talk is when they are in the game. 

The book starts by introducing our main character in a very scary situation. This part was more or less likely used to show what type of person our main character was. It also set the stage that the video game was his life when it shows how much he cares about his points in his games. This start completely captured me and it got me to stay and read the rest of it because I felt like it would be full of scary and intense actions and in the end a good book to read. 

The first thing that stood out to me was the great images the book paints as well as the book allows us to see the world through Michaels eyes. The book shows a little bit of dystopian when it goes into what the world around looks like being that the world is a big city that is jam packed full of people and people don’t talk in real life because they find there to be no reason to. 

But the storyline is a bit too cheesy and predictable. This happens all of the time in movies or stories. Where things don’t completely add up is when he finds himself getting kidnapped in the real world by a spy. Either he has information they want from them, or they need their help fighting some criminal. The book turns into a normal fight against a bad guy who is trying to end the world's story. After this point, the book is filled with a lot of filler. Michael and his friends end up meeting the enemy and they get chased around while they are trying to fight back.     

I think that this book is for someone who needs a good hook into the book and also for people who like to read about science fiction. I would say that the book is for a middle to high school level reader because the book itself doesn’t show a lot of underlying meanings and things to decipher. And if you like plot twists this book isn’t for you there are very few. If you need a lot of action and descriptive writing and like to read a book that shows you what the character is seeing this book would be a good one. The way James Dashner creates a movie of the actions and hoops the characters have to jump through to complete their mission.  

This book is a fun read. The author does a good job at making it, so you are looking through the book as the main character and experiencing things like Michael. So, for fun I would read the book again. If I wanted to read something with meaning—I would go and find something else.