To the Girl with a Broken Heart | Teen Ink

To the Girl with a Broken Heart

By Blooper195 PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas
Blooper195 PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

This life ain't that bad.

When he tells you, "things just aren't the same anymore"- do not cry and beg. You do not want a second chance with someone who believes love can fade like the colors on an old worn t-shirt. Do not try to make him love you again by using your body as an influence. He will only use you until he has used you up. When he tells you he's in love with another woman - do not break. Smile, say "I'm happy for you", raise a middle finger and stride away from the life you were sure was yours to keep. Go home, and cleanse your house of him. Rid yourself of the virus of love that had taken over your things. Change what you can, accept what you must. And sleeping alone is hard, I know. But wrap all that newly found, extra blanket around you like a cocoon - and now you're a butterfly undergoing metamorphosis because in the end you'll come out more beautiful than before. And, when he calls you months later once he is single again and he has the nerve to say "I love you" through the telephone and into your ear - do not say it back. No matter how much you feel you do. Laugh, wish him a goodnight, and hang up. Because you know better now. You know that love is not an uproarious cry held back by jealousy and envy, but rather it's a gentle whisper in the wind saying "I'll always want you". And it's true. You'll always want him. But with the quiet, steady beat of your heart you have to remember - he's gone. I'm strong. I am. He's gone. I'm strong. I am.

This was inspired from a few spoken word performances I've heard throughout the years, and I wanted to express my own take on the subject matter.