An Innocent Kiss | Teen Ink

An Innocent Kiss

By dontforget GOLD, Cortland, New York
dontforget GOLD, Cortland, New York

"The best things in life are left unseen. That's why we close our eyes when we cry, kiss, and dream."

Let's say you win a contest.
Your prize, to kiss anyone you choose.
I'd choose you.
A kiss from those familiar yet forbidden lips would be the rarest pearl of the ocean.
That kiss would lift me above the ground, leave my head spinning aimlessly in circles.
It's amazing the number of scenarioes that can play in one's head of a kiss.
Our kiss would be innocent, and pure.
Sweet and light.
Much like your freckles.
Soft flute music would play in the distance as you put a pink rose in my golden hair.
I look into your eyes, and you tell me you miss me.
I miss you too.
I close my eyes and it all seems so real.
I can feel your breath, I can smell your skin.
Slowly, and deeply, I take one last breath of you and draw away from our tight embrace.
When I open my eyes, I remember your smile.
We're so close.

Yet so far away.

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

hmm... Not sure I know how to describe this. Well, I was nodding my head slowly the whole time as I read it, and I don't know why. As I scrolled down to look for the comment area I saw the last line and did a double take. I scrolled up to the end of the line before, then scrolled back down and read it slowly........And then I smiled.

It was perfect! I loved that, I was puzzled about the 'fake last line', I thought that it was relevent, but out of place. And then the real ending changed everything. It was just so sadly-sweet I couldn't help but love it. This is one of those poems where I feel like I gotta thank you for letting me read this: Thank you.