When Was Our Last? | Teen Ink

When Was Our Last?

By BrendanWrites SILVER, Browns Summit, North Carolina
BrendanWrites SILVER, Browns Summit, North Carolina

"Life is more suffering than pleasure. But the good parts are worth living for."

There was a time not long ago 

That I would have been fantasizing the future. 

I would Have laughed and squealed on playground swings. 

There was a time not too long ago

That I would sneak into my parent's bed because their presence was stronger than my fear of the dark. 

A time when I would play make-believe in our backyard. I was a knight and my sword was a stick that had fallen out of the trees. 

There was a time before I was disenchanted with the world. 

When I could look at beauty and not compare myself to it. 

I remember hearing that tummies were bad and should be flat. Well, mine stuck out past my chest less than an inch. 

When was the last time I could look in a mirror without feeling anger that my hair doesn’t look perfect? Or that my eyes were slightly uneven. 

Before I felt disgusted towards my body I felt nothing but delight. So when was the last time I loved myself without conditions? 

When did I feel that I didn’t deserve love? Why did that feed into me finding people who only would push me closer to the edge I was already hanging off? 

When did the most toxic relationship I could have become the one with myself? 

When was our last time being that child? Pure and content, without flaw. 

In the past, I have struggled with my self-image and still do struggle with an eating disorder. This poetry is more of a coping mechanism than anything else, but I hope it helps someone else. To anyone else that was sitting in the same boat I once did, I promise it is so much better to get help than suffer alone. 

ella_09 GOLD said...
ella_09 GOLD, Valencia, Other

I wish you death,
And yet,
I wish to be the flowers that’ll bloom in your carcass.

This is amazing. Keep writing <3

PoisonIvy22 SILVER, Windom, Texas

"In the public eye, girls and women with strong perspectives are hated. If you're a girl with an opinion, people just hate you. There are still people who are afraid of successful women, and that's so lame." -Billie Eilish
"My imagination is a twisted place." -Taylor Swift
“ When people see good they expect good and I don't want to live up to some one's expectations." - Damon Salvatore, 'The Vampire Diaries'.

This was beautiful. I suffer from that at times, too. Thank you for writing this. It almost made me cry it was touching.