God on Trial | Teen Ink

God on Trial

By IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.

“Religions are like pills, which must be swallowed whole without chewing”- Unknown

Christianity is the number one most popular religion in the world as of 2010. It has roughly two billion followers and beats Islam by about point five billion. Billions of people around the world believe in God although he can also be called Allah, Father, or any other of names. (You may have noticed that I did not capitalize “he”. That is because I do not believe in him so I don’t believe it is needed for me to capitalize a being I do not believe in.) If so many people believe in him, he must be a pretty swell guy, right? Well, your opinion on him may change after you read this article. Let’s look closely at this being we call God.
Who is the most evil person in history? This is a hard question to ask because opinions on what is “evil” varies about as much as favorite types of cheese, but think of every serial killer, serial rapist, evil dictator, mass murderer. Attila the Hun, Vlad Tepes, Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Eric Harris, John Wayne Gacy….now think of God. God has killed more people then all of the people I just named put together. I know that there is the classic argument of “God gave us free will” but that argument is contradicted because apparently God has a plan for everyone. How can a person have a pre determined plan and free will? It doesn’t make sense. If there is indeed a plan that means that all the hurricanes, suicides, murders, bombings, disease, animal attacks….are all caused by an, apparently, all loving God. Hitler is starting to look pretty nice by comparison, huh?
“These seven nations are all more powerful then you. When the Lord your God hands these nations over to you and you conquer them, you must completely destroy them.” Make no treaties with them and them no mercy.” (Deuteronomy 7:1-4)
Now, the Old Testament is my favorite thing to read out of the Bible because it is more cruel then a book on Jack the Ripper. God’s punishments towards his people are unbelievable. Let’s start with Adam and Eve. So first God makes Adam. Then he feels like Adam needs a woman so he rips out Adam’s rib and makes a woman. God forbids Adam and Eve to eat from one tree but the Devil convinces Eve to eat from it. God is apparently really fond of those fruits because for eating a piece of fruit God banishes them from the garden and, just to add insult to injury, he curses every other human who will ever live. Wow. Thanks a lot. We didn’t even do anything. God apparently gets in the habit of punishing people and killing because soon after he has Abraham almost kill his son. And let’s not forget Noah’s Ark where God gets sick of the human race so he just decides to kill them all. Wonderful plan God; kill everyone and just start over. That’s how we should solve all of our problems.
Then there is that whole business with Heaven and Hell. God is supposed to be our father and love us all, but I’ve seen child abusers treat their children better then God. God loves us so much that he sends us to eternal horror in hell. Looks like our all forgiving and all loving father can hold a bit of a grudge. And he doesn’t send just sinners, oh no, he sends gay people and non believers as well. Talk about unfair. He makes people gay then sends them to hell for it. And what if a person is born into a Muslim family? Is that just that person’s tough luck? It seems like he is just setting people up for failure.
Now, I have no problem with people who believe in God. In fact, most of my friends are Christians or Jewish and my family is Catholic. But I do hope that the people who read this that believe in God, will read this and think about whom this thing called God really is. Thank you for your time.

Rayraph14 SILVER, Sunnyvale, California

Friends are like wedgies. They know your inner self, they’re intimately close and it feels good to pick out a good one!

blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Ah, the wonders of Old Testament logic...