The Good, The Bad, and the Godly | Teen Ink

The Good, The Bad, and the Godly

By Chloe_G. BRONZE, Bryant, Arkansas
Chloe_G. BRONZE, Bryant, Arkansas

"You wanna fight for this love, but honey you cannot wrestle a dove..." - The Shins

As I waited outside building seventeen for my mom to pick me up, I began talking to a girl standing near me, and what started as meaningless chitchat eventually shifted into a political debate.

It turns out the girl is quite religious. We touch on the same tired topics: a woman’s right to choose, gay rights, the war, morals in general. It’s becoming increasingly difficult for me to use my logic with her because every time I attempt to make a point, she starts talking about what “the Bible says.” To these remarks, I have no response. As the conversation progresses from political to spiritual, it transforms into a discussion about my lifestyle.

“Do you go to church?” The girl glares at me as if I am the filth of the earth as she spits these words at me. Which is a little ironic because in asking this question, I believe she is gauging how good of a person I am. And here she is, giving me the evil eye.

I am not an excessively religious person, but I think religion is lovely and I greatly admire those who can put their entire faith into something so insubstantial. What I do not think is lovely is the rather large group of people who, like the girl who was overly concerned with my spiritual life, believe they are good simply because they go to church. Of course, good people do go to church. It is not my intention to say otherwise. However, I have met some truly dreadful people who consider themselves good Christians. Many of them go to services every week, but outside these services, they can be beastly. These “good Christians” aren’t necessarily good people. Some of these “good Christians” call my brother a f***** to his face, just because he doesn’t play sports and listens to weird music. Some of these “good Christians” are rude to me when they find out how liberal I am. These “good Christians” enjoy telling other people their way of life is wrong.

You’ll go to hell if you do that.

Being gay is against the Bible.

If you don’t accept Jesus Christ as your savior, you will be eternally damned.

I know so many people to don’t center their lives around God, and yet they are still good people. Some of them are atheists. Some are gay. Some are Buddhist. Are these people destined to spend an eternity being punished simply because they have not dedicated their lives to the Lord? And do the cruel boys who call my brother a f***** have a one-way ticket to paradise because they have done so? It seems to me that some of these “good Christians” need to start practicing what is preached to them. Not only spreading the word that abortion is wrong and that gays are sinners, but also practicing the kindness and tolerance that Jesus Christ passed on during his time on earth.

If this is God’s logic, that one must believe in him and serve him to gain a spot in heaven, I fear for what awaits so many of the people I love in the afterlife. I like to think that Jesus really does love all the children of the world, regardless of what they believe.

So, although I was tempted to call the girl out on how rude she was being, I politely explained to her my beliefs, my way of thinking. She still had a look of disgust on her face as she walked away. Obviously not a pleasant person, but I’d bet anything she was a “good Christian.”

I know that people are set in their ways, so I probably won't change anybody's mind, but I wanted to bring to light my thoughts on closed-mindedness and intolerance.

Sparaxis GOLD said...
Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia

"If you keep on picking on me, I'll mess up again. This time, on PURPOSE."

There are few things worse than having a religious hypocrite metaphorically punch you in the face. I've dealt with hypocrites before.

I am a Christian. When I say that, do you associate me with the rude woman you talked to? The one who judged you? Do you associate me with some evil person who would say you're going to hell because you don't go to church? The truth is, those people aren't really Christians at all. When you meet a true, right Christian, you will know it. A true, good Christian can address the issue of LGBT (which is against the bible, but the bible never says that "you're the filth of the earth" or anything, it merely suggests strongly against and offers a different path) calmly and respectfully and with a cool head. As a Christian, I apologize that someone lied and said that they were a Christian, then said such horrible things to you and made you feel bad. Love is our mission, not hate and deceit. Please remember that.

99halle said...
99halle, Waterford, Other

"Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there, " -Owl City

"God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. So what right do you have to judge your neighbor?" James 4:12 That is how you should respond.

ColdplayForever BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Coldplay fans are the best in the world. If you like Coldplay, then you're obviously very intelligent, good-looking, and all-around brilliant."
~Chris Martin

This girl was extremely rude to you, and I can only imagine what she would be like to me. I find religion interesting, but I am not religious myself. I am a n atheist, but I respect other's views on religion. If you are Christian and she was so horrible to you, it's scary to think how she would have been to non-religious people. My mom once told me about an experience she had. She was talking to a friend of hers , and she was asked, "What religion is your family?" and my mom replied, "My mom is Hindu, but my dad is an atheist." The woman was shocked. She asked, "Didn't he ever tell you to be a good person?" People who are like this can be very rude, and frankly, I am disappointed. "Good Christians" are obviously not all like this, but I want to know, how can some go against what their own holy book says? The Bible teaches kindness to all, but not all Christians are kind to everyone. This was very well written! : )

on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:20 am
Zaraclaylime DIAMOND, Chicago, Illinois

So I suppose my simple advice is: Love your life. I only say that because your life is what you have to give.
-Tom Hiddleston

p.s. you dont have to believe in God to get into heaven. you just have to be a loving human being with a respect for life. anyway, He will always believe in you. dont forget that!

on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:18 am
Zaraclaylime DIAMOND, Chicago, Illinois

-Tom Hiddleston

i myself am catholic and i find myself hating this girl you were talking to. i honestly think that you just met the wrong person at the wrong time. that little jerk is a huge hypocrite, and i beg you to realize this. you cant let her act as a representative for the rest of us christians. she was just mistaken. you should talk to someone else if you really care. maybe even me.

R5andParamore BRONZE, Manalapan, New Jersey
what? theres is nothing to click!

Jakethesnake said...

I used to beleive much of the same things you do after a switch from extreme conservatism to atheism. (Strange, right?) It wasn't until recently I became a moderate Christian. I am not one of the "good Christians." I actually beleive that what they are doing is wrong. While Jesus told us to go out to all the corners of the earth, he did not mean go shove down everyones throaghts. We can proffess by actions, which is exactly what this girl did not do. She judged you and damned you to hell in her book, then assumed she was perfect and walked away angry to have ever met you.

I, however, simply live my life without talking about it. I am an independant, leaning towards the liberal side more often than the conservative (unless it comes to foreign policy). I don't judge athiests because it's all a choice and that's why America was founded- to give a choice.

SophiaCross SILVER, Plattsburgh, New York

To love, to be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and vulgar disparity of the life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.”

Love this! You make a good point...especially on such a touchy subject.

Chloe_G. BRONZE, Bryant, Arkansas

No, I am not judging her. I am making an observation of my personal experience in the bible belt. Thank you for the challenge and your interest. :)

freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

This article was very interesting. But aren't you technically judging her judging of you? We are all human so we all have our issues.Think about it. But I did enjoy the article though.

singingpenguin BRONZE, ..., Washington

I am a Christian born and raised.  I like your writing.  When I hear about people who go to the Church and try to be good enough and try to fit in, or they feel like they have to.  It's dissapointing.  A Christian who is trying to live like Jesus according to his will, has the characteristics - Gal. 5:22-23 love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23a gentleness and self-control. 

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. 

on Apr. 20 2011 at 10:41 am
1ClassicLady1 SILVER, Mona, Utah

Success is not final and failure is not fatal. The courage to continue is all that matters in the end.
~Winston Churchill

Thank you so much for this article! You have a very beautiful and considerate way of writing. There are always the people that can write all fruity and prettily, but then we get people like you that can be beautiful with the meaning as well as the words.

saimne SILVER said...
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California

I see humans, but no humanity.

i completely agree with this article! as a catholic, i find it fun to listen to followers of other sections of christianity boast about their "relationship with God," and then whip out my own arsenal of Biblical knowledge to show them how shallow their relationship is. x) i try to be nice about it but hey, duty calls.

tennisplayergirl GOLD, Arrington, Virginia

"He who will not risk cannot win." John Paul Jones

love this comment! you are SO right!

Pudinii said...
Pudinii, Lexington, Mississippi
Ah, I agree.
I'm a Christian, I support gay marriage, and I have respect for anyone who believes differently from me.
What you said about "good Christians" is true.

Persona BRONZE said...
on Dec. 21 2009 at 11:41 am
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
It's ironic that she looked at you as if you were the scum of the earth, as she is.

Chloe_G. BRONZE, Bryant, Arkansas

I really appreciate all the positive feedback. Thanks, everybody! :)

EricBlair BRONZE, London, Other

"I understand HOW, I do not understand WHY" -George Orwell, 1984

I agree. Have you noticed that in every religion it is impossible to be fundamentalist/super-conservative without being a complete hypocrite? This is true for every religion and believe me I have studied them.

LH2010 said...
LH2010, Pleasantville, Iowa

It takes quite a long time to build your reputation, but just one single moment is able to destroy it all.

As a dedicated Christian, I apologize for the way that girl treated you. I am a Independent, Fundamental Baptist who does everything she can to live for God and take a stand for what is right. I believe every word of the King James Bible but I can't stand it when other Christians judge. The Bible says not to, unless they're doing it in the right spirit and obviously, they don't. The word Christian is used lightly in today's world. It means to live like Christ . Christ does say that homosexuality is a sin, that murder is wrong, and so on and on. But He never would treat someone like they were the filth of the earth. To sum it up: Convictions without Compassion is Cruel.