An Ignorant Democracy | Teen Ink

An Ignorant Democracy

By gfhern BRONZE, Purcellville, Virginia
gfhern BRONZE, Purcellville, Virginia

Democracy, defined, is a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation involving periodic elections. The United States of America is one of the most well known democracies in the civilized world. The system of democracy is what the country was built on and prides itself most in. The question is, do Americans truly understand how their government operates?

The answer is no. A survey done by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of The University of Pennsylvania found that only around 36 percent of Americans can name the three branches of government and how they operate, a fundamental part of the American government. It is all around us, political ignorance, and we may even partake in it. There are a multitude of levels of government which the average american would not be expected to know. Most people understand the concept that voting is a major part of a working democracy, but only a fraction of people show up to the polls and vote. If you were to go down the street and ask questions about how our government operates, chances are only a few would understand and be able to answer your questions. This poses the question, is political ignorance detrimental to our democracy? If people don't understand how politics work or even more simple, the levels of government, does that effect who is in office and what policies are in place? There will always be a level of political ignorance, but it is vital that Americans understand how their government works so that they can make informed decisions at even the local levels. The more informed a citizenry, the better choices the American people will make.

So, do the majority of Americans understand how their government operates? Many, including I, would lean towards saying no. It is the American people’s responsibility to be informed and make decisions that will keep the democracy intact.

I have always been interested in politics and the overwhelming lack of knowlegde has always confused me. People pride themselves in their democracy, yet don't even understand how it works.