38 who saw murder | Teen Ink

38 who saw murder

January 13, 2009
By Anonymous

These murder attempts are none of my business. Thirty-eight people thought that way while Catherine Genovese was stabbed to death near her domicile according to Stanley Milgram and Paul Hollander. It happened in 1964, and since then the government requires people to report crimes especially murders. There actions are lawful.

The law has become anything but a lax law. It states, “The only time allowed elapsing between the times a crime is witnessed and the time it is reported is the time it takes to report the crime.” This allows authorities to give the most help to the victims. The prosecutors are meticulous in their prosecution of law breakers who defy this law.

“Freedom of speech! Freedom of religion!” quip anti government inhumane persons. But, they are wrong to do so. People who belong to a society are stripped of all lurid rights that create suffering and death throughout their society. So as citizens, they are obligated by acceptance into the society and by law not obviate the well-being of its members.

In the case of the 38 witnesses, people conjectured someone else would do it, or they made a rash decision, not to get involved. They were all in the wrong. In the perfect situation, they would have all called the police. Unfortunately, this was one of sporadic cases where no one had the decency to call the police. Forty-years ago that was an acceptable outcome. No one was ever charged with doing anything wrong. NO ONE! And all 38 of them could have stopped a murder. Basically, they were all accomplices.

Fortunately, today this would not be let go unpunished. All 38 of them could be prosecuted and serve jail time. Society is overall better off when its members are held to standards, especially when the standards are as simple as alerting the proper authorities of a murder.