A Name Should Not Define Who You Are | Teen Ink

A Name Should Not Define Who You Are

December 15, 2018
By bhershey BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
bhershey BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

With the midterm election complete, there has been so mostly negative attention toward various issues in the American people’s lives and in the news. Everything in life seems to be all revolved around political issues and a growing national identity. From the countless mass shootings inciting flames over stricter gun ownership policies to the issue of Colin Kaepernick’s of kneeling for the National Anthem in protest of black hate crimes. All of these issues, cause a desire for politically charged debates, that always end up ruthlessly attacking both sides. These people are not able to have a civilized conversation about change and end up halting any form of advancing legislation. Rather than having these negative debates, there should be some more civilized conversation and a willingness to listen.  

Instead of having political and social divisions in this country, the people need to call for unity. It is absolutely vital that if the United States wants any form of progress in society, the great American people should not divide itself. Every day, more and more people are politically divided based on their differing opinions. They may classify themselves as a Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Independent, and the many more parties there are. These parties give a house to host a group of people with similar ideas, which is good. The bad part is that people join one political group, normally for life, because their parents were from this party. The people do not reflect truly what they believe because they are afraid of hate from their friends and families that will come towards them.

When one classifies itself to one specific group, they do not always get their voices heard. It has been seen in history with the founding, destructions, and rebranding of the ideas of any specific political groups. It is only natural that these policies will evolve over time, and so should the voter. Rather than committing to one political party for life, one should be open with changing from Republican to Democrat, Libertarian to Independent, or whatever other combination there is. A country cannot function with people who are not willing to voice their true opinions. When the American citizens are completely comfortable with changing political affiliations, that is when the view of the evolving people will be clearly seen.

Another reason that the American people do not feel safe to change political parties is due to the negative attention that one or another group absorbs. Many news sources tend to lean towards on specific political group, giving some biased news to the people. The issue is that the people who are viewing the news are not getting the full perspective of both sides of the argument. It is vital that when people are looking for reliable news, they look at an unbiased news outlet or read both sides of the argument in the newspaper. Once someone knows both sides of the argument, they can clearly decide what they believe. “Seeing is believing” is a common phrase used, it is great for political topics. Until someone sees what the clear-cut view of what the issues are, then they can believe what they want to. Once this time comes, the citizens should be willing to political and religious views that are differently unique from before.

To summarize, the way a person listens to an argument dictates their life. If one is not willing to change and adapt their views, they will not be truly reflecting what they believe deep down. It is crucial, that every American gets both sides of an argument and decides what they want to believe from there. Until the political labels and national divisions go away, the people will just be stuck to a specific name. If they really want to do some good, a name should not define who they are and aren’t. A name has no bearing in anyone’s life. William Shakespeare expertly wrote in his tragedy, Romeo and Juliet, “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".


The author's comments:

***Originally written November 13, 2018***

My name is Brian H. and I am currently a high school junior in Park Ridge, Illinois. I wrote this for my English class as an optional essay during one of our units. I feel that with the political and sectional divisions in the country, there is a need for people to learn the benefits of unifying.

I hope you enjoy this work, and if you do, please feel free to share it with all whom you may know.