Supermassive High Heels | Teen Ink

Supermassive High Heels

By Sophie121 BRONZE, Wynyard, Other
Sophie121 BRONZE, Wynyard, Other

At last, high heels are back. For those of us who are small this is the best news since Topshop opened on Oxford Street

Watching the models at Prada take dramatic and painful looking falls I have begun to question the sanity of current designers. Are they hiring models who look like they could snap and trying to test out this theory? Obviously I appreciate fashion and the elaborate designs, I appreciate the creative, imaginative depth and thought that goes into most of the shows and I do agree that this should continue, but this trend is has grown beyond the depths of creativity. It is simply dangerous. Besides, who in there right mind would want a pair of shoes even models couldn’t walk in? When walking is they’re job. On the other hand, it is clear to see that practicality is not at the top of a fashion designers agenda. (Neither is it in their vocabulary at all), but the trend is getting so bad that, at some point in the near future, models who were once dying from ‘the size zero disease’, will now be dying from the over-elaborate exaggerations of clothing they have to wear on the catwalk.
I mean, when Viktor & Rolf requested their models to wear a whole lighting charade on there shoulders it certainly made an attention grabbing statement. However, in reality you really would have to be incredibly hideous-or vain-to buy your own set of shoulder spotlights simply to make sure your in the most complimentary lighting at all times. I mean, how would you get on the tube?
My point is; by the second, fashion is moving further and further from the realms of reality. It’s true. And as much as you try to tell each other that ‘Fashion is about putting on a show’ I will still disagree with twelve inch heels and dresses with their own spotlights.

on Dec. 31 2011 at 8:40 am
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

It doesn't help when all the models look like bones. I guess that is done on purpose so that we pay attention to the outfit, but with their body shape, none of the clothes ever look comfortable or interesting to me. And you're right about going farther from reality. When it comes to the models there's almost no variety at all, but the clothes are all over the place. What happened to clothes just being for protection purposes? Like actually being "useful"?

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

hah i don't watch runway shows but nevermind... For me, fashion is all about mixing it up and making a statement. I don't really care about the current trends except that they kinda follow you when you go shopping (oh look at that skirt, it's just like the one in the other twenty stores we've been to!). seriously, i don't want to humiliate myself wearing those heels and falling on my face, but i'd go for the dress with the spotlights if it were a costume party. or an anti-aids campaign.

I think that the beauty of the fashion industry is that it can be as outrageous and out of this world as it wants to be. Nobody's forcing anyone to wear twelve-inch heels or dresses with pyrotechnics, but if I had the chance (and somewhere to where them to in the first place) I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. Fashion is supposed to be fun, not practical. That's what makes it creative rather than just functional, boring clothing. Heels are great, and the higher, the better. They're a classic. As long as they fit right and aren't worn excessively, they don't cause significant harm to your body.

cross.fire BRONZE, Monroe, Louisiana

"Love is the fire and hope is what burns."

To tell you the truth, I LOVE those heels! I do understand your point though-- there is a limit. However, most girls AND models don't know how to walk in them. Hold your shoulders back and keep your back straight. When walking in grass, tip toe as not to sink into the ground. DO NOT WEAR BEAUTIFUL SHOES WHOSE HEELS LOOK LIKE TOOTHPICKS. Keep them in the closet and show them to friends. Heels make everyone look taller but do not wear them for that reason. If you do then you are simply not accepting your height and you are bound to trip just by thinking about it.