Supermassive High Heels | Teen Ink

Supermassive High Heels

September 8, 2009
By Sophie121 BRONZE, Wynyard, Other
Sophie121 BRONZE, Wynyard, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

At last, high heels are back. For those of us who are small this is the best news since Topshop opened on Oxford Street

Watching the models at Prada take dramatic and painful looking falls I have begun to question the sanity of current designers. Are they hiring models who look like they could snap and trying to test out this theory? Obviously I appreciate fashion and the elaborate designs, I appreciate the creative, imaginative depth and thought that goes into most of the shows and I do agree that this should continue, but this trend is has grown beyond the depths of creativity. It is simply dangerous. Besides, who in there right mind would want a pair of shoes even models couldn’t walk in? When walking is they’re job. On the other hand, it is clear to see that practicality is not at the top of a fashion designers agenda. (Neither is it in their vocabulary at all), but the trend is getting so bad that, at some point in the near future, models who were once dying from ‘the size zero disease’, will now be dying from the over-elaborate exaggerations of clothing they have to wear on the catwalk.
I mean, when Viktor & Rolf requested their models to wear a whole lighting charade on there shoulders it certainly made an attention grabbing statement. However, in reality you really would have to be incredibly hideous-or vain-to buy your own set of shoulder spotlights simply to make sure your in the most complimentary lighting at all times. I mean, how would you get on the tube?
My point is; by the second, fashion is moving further and further from the realms of reality. It’s true. And as much as you try to tell each other that ‘Fashion is about putting on a show’ I will still disagree with twelve inch heels and dresses with their own spotlights.