It's not wearable art if you can't WEAR IT | Teen Ink

It's not wearable art if you can't WEAR IT

By delizabethl PLATINUM, Linesville, Pennsylvania
delizabethl PLATINUM, Linesville, Pennsylvania

Have people gone mad? I’ve SEEN the miserable excuses that pass for clothes these days. I’m all for wearable art, really, I am. But these days whenever I see a fashion magazine, I stop and put my head in my hands.
I consider myself an amateur designer, but I bet I could probably do better than most of the bozos and nutcases whose designs end up on the catwalks. Fashion is wearable art. It stops being fashion when it’s not wearable.
A lot of the so-called “fashion” can’t be worn unless you’re alone, parading in front of a mirror in your room. Or somewhere people can’t tell what you’re wearing, so they’re not appalled and/or disgusted.
Furthermore, I actually think today’s runway favorite’s are kind of ugly. Red and pink, or red and orange shouldn’t be put together. They clash and clashing pieces only serve as eyesores. Always administer caution when working with blue and green. Only certain shades look good together. These are the rules of style and outfits. Rules modern designers have broken and ignored. Style is SENSIBLE fashion. But today’s fashion isn’t really fashion, it’s a sham.
It also induces negative peer pressure and self-hate. Fashion can change at a moments notice. Style is forever and means something different to EVERYONE.

This is my opinion. If you don't agree, that's your opinion.

SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
Anybody ever hear about The Emperor's New Clothes?

Diva B. said...
You are right about everyone has a different taste in fashion. But you cannot judge someone else fashion or style. And I think some of the fashion today is cute and the other half is not.

on Feb. 27 2012 at 8:57 am
DarkIsThyThought BRONZE, Shishpipkabibble, Pennsylvania

I think I know enough of hate- to say that for destruction ice- is also great- and would suffice.

You have no clue about what you are talking about. I love art, and I believe true art only has to be beautiful to who likes it. Stop attacking fashion designers. If you think they're bad, you'd cringe at the sight of me. I walk around with abstract drawings on my face.

SandyLee said...
SandyLee, New Orleans, Louisiana
I have to say much of modern fashion I don't like. I also want to point out that a lot of fashion is advocated by celebrities who make it look "cool" to the average teenager. By the way, did you know that the loose-top-that-looks-like-a-very-short-dress-leggings outfit originated in the lower classes of society, from women who woke up in the morning and had no more time than to throw on a men's T-shirt? And now plenty of people wear it and no connotations.

LightningForMyAllergies GOLD, White Bluff, Tennessee

When you look at me, you see only a fraction of my reflection, and my reflection shows only a fraction of me.

haha maybe the radical stunts and ideas being pulled by higher class fashion designers are actually doing a favor to society. I'm not much for fashion. In fact, I practically invented wearable. However, there is something extremely artistic about seeing something that is not everyday. Something that is inventive and imaginative and a little preposterous...you know...dreamy. In this way, higher-class fashion serves as an escape much like music and movies.

Marnina said...
Marnina, Eugene, Oregon

''Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half is good. Luckily, this not difficult.''

This is how I feel about this stuff they call fashion I want to throw up every time I see plaid!

AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

Clearly, you don't understand haute coutour. It is beautiful; it is art, and it is not necessarily supposed to be something you can wear anywhere. And no offense, but I think fashion designers know a bit more than you about what looks good with what.

SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
I really like this article.  It's cool that you aren't afraid to state your opinions.  :)

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

I don't know much about this topic, but if the designers are so bad then it is true that they should stop designing- but people like me, who have no sense of fashion, I think, should be able to wear what they like- but not get millions of dollars for it.

Besides that, your article was very good. I liked how you expressed your opinion- not wearable art if you can't wear it- very creative.

IThinkIWIllJustFlyAwayNow PLATINUM, Visalia, California

A woman is like a teabag, you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water- Eleanor Roosevelt

I do, I understand your frustration with people who have no actual skill having their clothes make millions. But artists, as you may know, are strange people. Fashion like you said means different things to everyone

some fashion designers, well, they just see what is beautiful as different than most. i would love to see some of YOUR works though? Would you mind posting some?

sillyaardvarkabc BRONZE, Riverside, Connecticut
Good job, however, I would totally wear that stuff! At the moment, I'm wearing a multi-colored sequined sweater. Also, clashing, while most people think it's horrible and people should ONLY wear sensible clothes, that's not true with me. Blue and green look beautiful together, red and pink are love, and red and orange remind me of fall. Sensible clothing is only for secretaries, teachers, and boring adults.

Please comment