Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

iSteph said...
I believe in teen love. For one, I am a teen and feel as if I'm in love. Some people may find it silly, but i dont. I have been dating the same guy for 8 months. We fight, but most couples do.

sweetactress said...
i believe in teenage love. i just think that it takes time 2 get 2 that point. a strong relationship has 2 grow. u cant love som1 in just 3 days. n so, u cant rush it.

i used to think the same thing... but my boyfriend right now is my first boyfriend and we started off as just friends... then eventually it grew into love... i love him so much... and i'm myself with him and i can't bare to be separated from him... i believe in teenage love... <3

leenxx3 SILVER said...
leenxx3 SILVER, Hillsborough, New Jersey

it oft falls out, To have what we would have, we speak not what we mean: I something do excuse the thing I hate, for his advantage that I dearly love.

I don't believe in teenage love. I am 15 and all my friends are talking to their boyfriends "Oh, I love you", then 2 days later, they hate eachother. I guess it is real for some people. But most just want to say "love" because it seems like you should. Everyone just rushes it through High School. I am waiting until college or after to have a serious relationship, because I know right now, that I am not capable of loving someone and being able to continue a relationship for an extended amount of time. So I see it as an unnecessary stress.

Zachy_TB said...
While I don't believe that you can put an age on true love, I do believe that you have to be mentally mature to experience it, and you must know the diffrence between true love and puppy love.

12mitchh said...
i am 13 , i dint no i was in luv at the time but now i do that ive lost the one , i luv him , i no i do and no one can tell me different

jimmy_a GOLD said...
on Dec. 27 2009 at 2:51 am
jimmy_a GOLD, Sanford, North Carolina

Look for me, not with a flashlight but open your heart n free your soul n there my love i shall be

teenage love is def possible love is possble at any age it has no bounds

SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
And that's why they don't last, I mean.

I believe teenage love is possible. I mean, there are people in different cultures and from different time periods that got married really young, like thirteen or so.

The problem is, a lot of teens have a warped idea of what love really is- they think it's a warm fuzzy feeling or something shallow like that. They don't realize what love really is- love is a choice, an action. Love is choosing to put someone else first because you care about them. True love lasts forever, whereas the feeling people sometimes call love rarely or never does. So many marriages are based on "fake love."

This is a real question, I'm not trying to be mean, just wondering your opinion, but what is the purpose of dating in high school if you don't think you are/ will fall in love in high school?

loveexists said...
oh my boyfriends parents did this! ive been with him for 3 years .. im currently 16 .. and we broke up twice but realized during those times we had to grow up and now we're happy .. hes a year older than me .. but its awesome .. he got me a promise ring ... and sure sometimes that promise is bbroken but love is real you just gotta believe it is ! :)

loveexists said...
i think your wrong .. :) i mean u gave a point .. there are better things .. only if u make teenage love to much of ur life .. u gottal ive and grow from eachother. ive been with a guy for three years im an honor student , won homecoming , and still find time for my friends ... and i have to admit i wouldnt be the person i am now without love.

Emily(: BRONZE said...
Emily(: BRONZE, Montclair, Virginia

love is giving someone the power to destroy you...but trusting them not to

i htink teen love is hard to come across. when i have a boyfriend and they tell mee they love mee i just feel like i hafta say it back even if i feel differently. i honestly love the guy im with right noow even if im only 13. i think he is amazing and i knoww i can be myself around him. my friends dont look at him the same way i do but they arent supposed too. i believe teen love exists but i guess everyone thinks differently.

NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

the problem with teenage love is that teenagers can only visualize the future in two parts- next summer (like say, I'll be working at ____) and a long time from now (I'll be a doctor). I think teens don't realize that there is a path between those two points that will DRASTICALLY change them...making teenager love a fragile, risky thing that most teenagers can honestly do better without and put love off until later.

ash2011 GOLD said...
ash2011 GOLD, Middletown, Ohio

I'm Just one of those regular weird people- Janis Joplin

I think it depends on how immature the dudes are.Most teen guys are nasty freaks that only think about sex or how hot someone is rather than what type of person they are inside.

BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge PLATINUM, Gardena, California

"Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be." ~ grandma moses

I certainly believe in teenage love. well right now i AM in teenage love and it's great. parents and adults in general just don't understand that some young couples can last a lifetime. ♥

De'andre14 BRONZE, Buford, Georgia

I may not be perfect but I never make a mistake.

I think that it is true if u love that person and they love u and no one can come between u. I believe in teenage love as a matter of fact it is the cutest type of love to me because it is so genuine and true.

bamboom212 PLATINUM, Chestnut Ridge, New York

"The truth with a bad intent, is worse than any lie you can ever invent."
"You are smarter than you think. You are stronger than you look. You are braver than you feel."

i think it's possible. No one can put an age on love because everyone's different.

If people fall in love, I think you should hold onto it with both hands & not let go.

Many people think that teenage doesn't exist because the word 'love' is thrown around alot at that age. That's true, but I think it's one of the things you have to experience to believe in.

So yes, I believe it exists. :)

NeverSayNever GOLD, Lumby, Other
I'm young, 14, and I don't know whether or not I believe in teenaged love. But that's because of my personal situation with my ex. We both still have feelings for eachother, even though we've put eachother through hell time and time again. Basically I try and tell myself that it's nothing, that I only like the idea of someone liking me and that's why I have those feelings. But then I see him, and his smile and I can't help but fall for him again and again. My mom isn't much of a romantic, actually she is almost the oppisite, yet the other day she was saying that this is true love, if there is such a thing (and this is after I said sometimes he drives me so insane I want to hurt him, yet I would die afterwards). Maybe I'm just a fool. Or maybe teenaged love does exist afterall

Rachel_Beth GOLD, Rainsville, Alabama
i think teenage love is possible. However only a certain few ever get to experience it. I think this because to truely love someone you have to let your gaurd down and let your insecurities be known and be willing to let your heart get broken. Not many teenagers are mature and strong enough to let this happen. The people who are to weak never got to experience young love, therefore they do no belive it exist ;)