Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

Ms. C said...
All love is true love in the moment. Our definitions of love grow and develop as we age, but that doesn't mean the love in the moment is any less valid.

Maryon123 said...
Hello, first of all I wanted to say that I do beileve in teenage love, although many adults such as my parents may not beileve in it. Right now my boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years now, and I'm only 14 years old. My parents say that I'm to young for boys, but I strongly disagree. Love has no age limit, so therefore it should'nt be treated as if it's just a figment of the imagination. It's more than that, it's a feeling that everyone no matter what age should experience at least once in their life time.

jordan_leigh GOLD, Wichita Falls, Texas

live eachday as if it were your last, fore life is too short for drama and lies
-me (:

i agree very much so who says there is a certain age in which love happens? NOBODY thats who. nobody has the power to do that i strongly believe in teen love and i for one have felt it not once but a couple times and that is why ive been hurt. I,now boyfriendless, STILL believe in it, thats my honest oppinion

i baleive in it to i have a boyfriend right now and i love him we have said it already to each other and weve kissed so i baleive in it

hollyhottell DIAMOND, Redding, California

poetry is a diary written out loud

i beleive in teen love. how can you put and age on love. we love our parents and our family. ( we do know what love is ) yes were young and learning to love in a new way but there are adults that still dont know the meaning of love. i am a sophmore in high school and i think i have met the man that i intend to be with the rest of my life. i love him and he loves me. i do know what love is

i think this is true i have a bf and i relly luv him but i waited until he said it first and then i was wondering did i say just cause he did but then something happend and i realized i relly do luv him and i dont no wat i do if something ever happen to him

dule05 BRONZE said...
dule05 BRONZE, Kraljevo, Other
1 article 1 photo 102 comments
I do think that age doesn't matter that much in this context, if you fall in love in high school and if it is strong enough and if you are loved back, there is nothing that can stop you. good article!!

R2daNamvuk said...
I agree with this statement. No teenages feel love until they have gotten their lives set on track. Middle/highscool relationships last for maybe a month if that. I have noticed this and i think parents should tell their kids that love is such a great feeling that is can only be shared with one special person. Some kids get so distraught about teen relationships that they enter depression, and sometimes even kill themselves!

Meg-darling GOLD, Homewood, Illinois
You don't have to be a certain age to love someone. Teenagers can fall in love just as college students or other adults. But it doesn't mean they're meant to be together forever, or meant to get married. I'm seventeen and I've loved someone, but that doesn't mean I plan on marrying him (ever).

...irie... BRONZE, Which I Left In The Mnts, Utah

"Some look at things that are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Nope. The capacity to understand what it trulybmeans to be in love is not evident in MOST teenager (keep in mind this is a generalization that is defined by the immature in "love" teenagers I know.) Once you reach the age where you realize what kind of people are out there and once you need people in certain situations the idea of what your real love will be becomes clearer. I'm not one to put down faerie tales though, so maybe yes it could be possible -but in my opinion your maturity depends on whether youvcan be "in love" and not just "puppy love".

Lovestonedloser GOLD, Orlando, Florida

If your always looking down, you'll never see the beauty of the stars.

And i forgot to add I have told this boy i Love him. The first and only boy in my 16 years of life that i've told i loved. And he said he loved me too. He's another one who doesn't take love lightly so i'm hoping that maybe....just maybe we honestly will make it. And we were kinda....Engaged heart to heart. We didn't have a ring or anything but he asked me to marry him and i said yes. it was kinda like a promise sooo.

Lovestonedloser GOLD, Orlando, Florida

I believe teenage love can actually last. But at the same time not ALL teenage love lasts. alot of teens often call relationships love when they've only been dating like a week or less and you know thats not real love. Others wont even be dating and be 'inlove' with each other. Only knowing one another a short time. I'm not saying it's impossible or possible because everyone has their own opinion. But i think if the feelings are really there for both partners. And they have the right balence. Age is just a number. I don't tell guys "i love you". Maybe joking but i've never told a guy i loved him, or even thought i did. But my eyes have opened and i think i am in love with someone. We've dated on and off for almost a year now. We're off now...Because he had to move away. but i still feel as if his presence stays with me. Maybe thats what real love feels like? I don't know if I'll end up marrying him or even end up with him again in the future. But as for now. my heart knows what it wants.

RockP BRONZE said...
RockP BRONZE, Romeoville, Illinois
i believe it is....cause me and my bf love eachother every much...and like i dont use the word love lightly like some ppl do now and days.....and neither does he....i think when u tell a adult that they think ur too young to know the true meaning of love....that u have to be old to know wat it is.....but i personally think u dont....i think that teens can fall in love....and even get married to the person they fell for....i think adults should stop lookin at love as something u can find when u are old...and look at it as something that u can find any time in ur life.....

confused said...
I used to think that teenage love was pure fiction, but then I met this boy. everyday he makes me smile. I think about him all the time and he makes me feel like I'm special. I used to think that teenage love was purely misread hormones. But now I don't know what it thinks. this boy has caused alot of confusion in my life about what I believe and what I don't. I don't know if I love him, but I might.

PayPay said...
PayPay, Kilgore, Texas

$$$ Pretty Gurl Swagger$$$

I belive in teen love because im a teen and I love this person very much. I mean you have to put in alot of time for anything thing everyone should know that. But i mean teens can fall in love and be very happy. You just have to know how to do the whole relationship thing. But teenage love can happen.

His_Girl_Forever09/03/09 BRONZE, Goshen, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"There are things known and things unknown and In between are the Doors." -Jim Morrison

I believe it is possible to find your true love in high school. Not everyone goes by their hormones. I believe the timing is different for every. I agree that you can't put an age on love. Now i'm not saying a freshman in high school will find true love yet i could be wrong maybe they will. I believe in the idea because i'm having it go on in my life but also because i've seen people that are married and are still together even after the high school which is a major test for a relationship due to other pressure and the drama

Kirstiboo said...
I think that teenage love does exist. BUT, I also think it's rare. Teens are infatuated with each other, sure. Physically attracted to each other, heck yeah. But, it really does depend on the level of maturity. I'm a teenager and I'm very infatuated with my boyfriend as well as physically attracted to him. I do love and care for him but I don't think he is my "true love" if there is suck a thing. To be in love, I think you'd have to know who you are and want to go for it. Teenagers normally SOOO don't know who they are, but love the idea of being in love with someone so they try to make it true. We often get infatuation and love mixed up.

No, they lie to themselves and think that they are in love when really they arent. Hormones =/= love. And when they are in "love" lets see how long that lasts when they go to different colleges.

Sunshine! said...
I think that love can exist wherever it is possible for someone to fall in love. I think that, yes, teens do often take their arm candy too seriously. For instance, I don't think carrying someone's lunch tray to the trash to dump it for them warrants the phrase "I love you" like people at school seem to think, but I also think that there are many KINDS of love. You love your shoes, you love your dog, you love your parents--you might love your boyfriend/girlfriend. It really, truly depends on the person. Love doesn't require maturity or age (a three year old loves their parents), but making it last requires commitment, which, in turn, does require maturity. But love is love, no matter how long it lasts, whether it's returned, whatever--it brings to mind something Stephenie Meyer wrote in "The Host": 'Love simply is where it is." Even if it's between two people under the age of eighteen.

luv_and_peace, Waunakee, Wisconsin

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13:7

I do agree that teenagers can fall in love, but I think that many claim they are "in love" and give too much away to a guy in high school. Maturity plays a huge roll, and I think that some people are mature enough in high school to have a legitimate relationship, but many others are not even close to ready.