Not All Zoos Are Inhumane | Teen Ink

Not All Zoos Are Inhumane MAG

September 6, 2008
By Anonymous

This piece is a response to “The Modern Zoo” from the May 2008 issue of Teen Ink. I volunteer at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo and have gotten to know its keepers, veterinary staff, and other workers. According to the writer of “The Modern Zoo,” staff torture animals, do not provide adequate living space, and keep the animals merely to entertain. In my three years of volunteering, I have never seen, nor had any reason to suspect, any foul play at my zoo. The allegations in “The Modern Zoo” that all zoos are inhumane and cruel is false, I believe.

According to the article in Teen Ink, “Zoos claim to educate visitors. Yet we’ve all seen the one-sentence signs that describe monkeys. What can be learned from this? Certainly not enough to justify ­inhumane captivity.” One-sentence signs are not the end of zoos’ efforts to educate. At my zoo an entire department is devoted to educating the public about conservation of animals and our planet. If zoos didn’t care about education, why would they have this? While exhibits may display signs with brief information, staff work daily at the zoo to educate visitors about conservation and other critical topics.

Some zoo employees visit schools and businesses to educate the public about how to be more responsible with our environment. This department even organizes conservation projects around Ohio, such as the community effort to remove waste from Big Creek. Volunteers spent a day restoring the creek to a more healthy ecosystem. The zoo is also part of a ­national conservation campaign called Year of the Frog, dedicated to saving ­amphibian species from extinction. Zoos put forth tremendous effort to educate people, and to say that they do not is just not true in my experience.

“Zoo animals endure inadequate living conditions with no space,” claims the ­article. It’s not fair to make this generalization. My own zoo, for example, is planning a one-of-a-kind, spacious ­exhibit for its elephants. The exhibit ­encompasses many acres, and will be large enough to support a breeding population. If zoos didn’t care about adequate space for their animals, why would they waste time raising millions of dollars to build this type of exhibit? Also, my zoo cares a lot for its animals; it houses the second oldest hippo in North America and its polar bears are twice the age of those in the wild.

I witnessed a life-saving surgery on a 13-year-old wolf. Veterinarians worked for two hours to save his life. Thirteen is very old for a wolf. Zoos do care for their animals, and do what they can to keep them strong and healthy.

“These animals are simply meant to ­entertain,” claims “The Modern Zoo.” That too is false. At the Cleveland Metro­parks Zoo, animals are never forced to do anything for the sake of visitors’ entertainment. We believe in positive animal/ ­human interaction. Zoo staff never force or coerce an animal due to this policy.

The author of “The Modern Zoo” is ­obviously very passionate in his opinion about zoos. I am also very passionate. I have not written this to personally attack him. Rather, I am simply stating facts. “The Modern Zoo” paints zoos as cruel, inhumane facilities, but it is both unfair and untrue to claim this about all of them. Many have state-of-the-art veterinary ­facilities and work hard to save endangered species.

I hope that readers will see that zoos seek to protect and save endangered species, as well as educate and encourage the public to do the same.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 80 comments.


on Oct. 13 2010 at 6:48 pm
jessenielsen BRONZE, Candler, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"other men said they have seen angels, but i have seen thee, and thou art enough"- g. moore

I was raised in Kenya (east Africa) and have seen my fair share of zoos. the only point of a zoo is to profit and provide entertainment. if you disagree with this, you may ask "how did those animals end up thousands of miles away from there natural habitat?" Africa has its parks and has many orfinages for the young animals that are unable to survive on there own in the wild. there is no reason rather then for entertainment purposes to have zoos. How ever you may take this comment, the facts remain.

on Oct. 13 2010 at 6:48 pm
jessenielsen BRONZE, Candler, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"other men said they have seen angels, but i have seen thee, and thou art enough"- g. moore

I was raised in Kenya (east Africa) and have seen my fair share of zoos. the only point of a zoo is to profit and provide entertainment. if you disagree with this, you may ask "how did those animals end up thousands of miles away from there natural habitat?" Africa has its parks and has many orfinages for the young animals that are unable to survive on there own in the wild. there is no reason rather then for entertainment purposes to have zoos. How ever you may take this comment, the facts remain.

on Sep. 21 2010 at 12:38 am
tomtamtimmy GOLD, Sydney, Other
17 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
you don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

i agree with hazydreamsbroken. most of the time its orphaned animals. or animals that seemed to be alone or in immedate danger.

on Sep. 3 2010 at 1:46 pm
Writer24 SILVER, Acton, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 41 comments
This is a very well written and informative article. I wonder though, the person who wrote the first article, if they had stated that most zoos rather than all, if incase yours a rare kinder zoo. I don't know for myself at all, I'm just wondering if this other person's article, if they had been more careful not to use words such as "all" if they point would have held true.

Wanttodelete said...
on Aug. 30 2010 at 12:53 pm
Wanttodelete, London, Other
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

grasslova, look up anarcho-primitivism, I think it might interest you. ;]

My opinion: Some people are cruel. Some of these people work at zoos. Some people care. They also work at zoos. Some zoos as a whole can be cruel, and some intend to be kind to the animals in their care.

I understand that, and so on physical level, zoos more often than not (as people are, more often that not kind as opposed to cruel) do not harm animals, and all levels, do not seek to harm animals.

However, I don't think this physical aspect should be argued along with the conceptual one. It confuses things.

I do believe that the concept of zoos is wrong. Keeping animals locked up is not right, true. I'm very against it. 

However, the same can be said of the way we as humans live today (technology, large societies, etc), and whether living this way is harmful to us, going against our natures. Perhaps, but living just doesn't work on a philosophical plane, you live in the day to day world and all that REALLY matters in life is whether or not you are happy. And if you are, or you will be, does it really matter whether or not we are in tune with nature? (That's not an argument against improvement, but against completely destroying our current lifestyle in order to start again better. It's not urgent, change can happen gradually and there's no point and no benefit to getting worked up about it.)

I personally boycott zoos, not because I believe the workers in general (I know there are exceptions) treat the animals inhumanely, but because I disagree with the idea behind them. However, I will not go around making blanket statements about all people who work in zoos and going on long, misanthropic rants because a) it's not true and b) it just isn't going to help and c) because the animals often AREN'T harmed, it's not totally urgent that the change from having to not having zoos happens suddenly. It is apparent from studies that zoo-life is not beneficial to animals in a nonphysical, non-immediate survival way. Like the way we get depression when we are unstimulated and deprived of the sort of life we were born for. 

It's coming to light just how smart, just how similar animals are to humans, and I ask, how do WE do in cages? 

It's not happy. That's my argument.

But I'm against zoos, not zoo workers.


on Aug. 30 2010 at 12:30 pm
WeetzieBat PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas
35 articles 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"OW! Stop pulling my ear! THIS TIME I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!!!"

So you want to leave injured animals that can be saved in the zoo to die? I understand your views, but I also think you need to get off your closed minded track, and look at the GOOD zoos do for YOUNG ABANDONED animals, and INJURED animals that would never survive in the wild.

on Aug. 8 2010 at 8:32 pm
guineapig324 BRONZE, Bow, New Hampshire
2 articles 2 photos 4 comments
Life of Pi is a great book, especially if you like animals! And most zoo animals are bred in zoos, not taken out of the wild "against their will". Besides, animals do not think of this as a loss of freedom, but rather a means of easily obtained food, shelter, and protection! 

on Jul. 17 2010 at 7:59 pm
beautifulworld SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee
9 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
What's the point i wearing my favorite rocket ship underpants if no one asks to see them? -Calvin and Hobbes

I thnk you should read Life of Pi. It talks all about the subjects your bringing up and explains just how you can tell that most zoos actually DO care.

on Jul. 17 2010 at 2:57 pm
Imaginedangerous PLATINUM, Riverton, Utah
31 articles 0 photos 402 comments
I think a point that was missed in this article is that zoos are often used to help an endangered species breed, so the species can become stronger (the well-known pandas at the San Diego Zoo are a good example).  Other than leaving that out, the article was very well written. I enjoyed and agreed with it.

grasslova GOLD said...
on Jul. 16 2010 at 8:20 pm
grasslova GOLD, Highland, Utah
19 articles 43 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you learn to die, you learn to live - Morrie

AGREED!! So then you'd agree with me when I say: it is positively cruel and cold-blooded for humans to keep plants cooped up in a plot of dirt, or so-called "garden" in countless backyards accross America! It's crazy man! These days, people are just so jacked up; so sick, SO twisted. It is unbelieveable. We should just go back to being cave men. (And women--to appease the femminists).

on Jun. 25 2010 at 1:34 pm
SocialCollision SILVER, Hampton, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"When we\'re taught to love everyone, to love our enemies, What value does that place on love?\" Marilyn Manson

okay. Here's what makes me mad. Lots of people say that NOT ALL ZOOS ARE INHUMANE. That's not true, It's inhumane to keep an animal against it's will. If an animal was born into the wild and taken into captivity, THAT is inhumane. Yes zoos have the means to take care of an animal, but to take the out of the wild to breed them? ABSURD! ALL ZOOS ARE INHUMANE.

on Jun. 25 2010 at 8:02 am
BlueberryPoptartHasAnAmazinglyLongScreenname BRONZE, Some Town, New York
4 articles 1 photo 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Oh. You can't help that we're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

"The trouble is, the other side can do magic too, Prime Minister."- Cornelius Fudge, Harry Potter


"I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick."

But it's the whole concept for me. It just is disturbing to me that people feel they have such athority, and take animals into conditions that couldn't possibly replicate those in the wild. You bring up age as a measure of care. I disagree years liveed is equivelent to quality of life. Death isn't a bad thing. It's the natural end, and if you push and push and medicate and perform so many sugerys are you just cuasing animals unneeded pain and sufffering in the name of humans wanting to watch wolves? I think many zoo's do care, but is careing enough? I was at first hesitant to be anti-zoo, until I tought how I would feel if I was stuck in a 'realistic' enviroment for the rest of my life. I think sancutarys are more appropriater if we really care.

on Jun. 3 2010 at 7:59 pm
Jane_P PLATINUM, San Clemente, California
25 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
When asked about race...

"Well, when I went to the bathroom I was Russian, and when I came out I was Finnish."

or, alternatively:

"Irish I could tell you."

Has anyone seen San Diego zoo? They have recreated the animal's natural habitats, and take such excellent care of them. Many of the animals are happier and healthier than they are in the wild.

on Jun. 3 2010 at 5:09 pm
skywitch BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
1 article 2 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
~ A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.~ Agent K
Men In Black

Not all zoos are bad, but some are, I guess that when you really look at it its party on how much money the zoo has.

I went to Disney World two years ago and was pleasantly surprised at how well the animals were treated. They had large enclosures (notice how I didn't say cages) and some of them were even able to interact with other animals.

I believe that people have come along way in how we treat their animals. In school I learned that the first elephant that came to America was given beer instead of water, since water was very valuable. Its good to know that we don't have drunk elephants running the zoos!


anaisp15 GOLD said...
on Jun. 3 2010 at 6:31 am
anaisp15 GOLD, Batavia, Illinois
15 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
And in the music we find ourself

This is a great review. You have really  strong evidence and you took the article and broke it into pieces and gave certain evidence to that thing exactly. This is great writing and an excellent review.

on May. 12 2010 at 8:45 pm
SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 534 comments

You totally pwned whoever it was that wrote that last artice. 

Cyberhighfive!


on May. 12 2010 at 6:28 pm
SassyJones GOLD, Los Altos Hills, California
13 articles 5 photos 91 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We make our fourtunes, and we call them fate" earl of beaconsville.

great article. How do i apply to  get a job at a zoo? 

on May. 12 2010 at 4:52 pm
krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

I completely agree with this! Great counter argument and well written article!!

on Apr. 20 2010 at 9:53 am
X_Dysfuntional_Lyrics_X GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio
12 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have a lot of favorite quotes. I cant really pick.

I love this article! You are right about the Cleveland Zoo. I love it and actually just filled out an application to work/volenteer there. I love our zoo and all the animals. I cant wait for the elephant exhibit to open up and for the elephants to come back. Our zoo does care about the animals. The signs we have at the Cleveland Zoo do not just have one line telling you about the animal. It shows a map of where the animal lives in the wild and gives a little paragraph about it. My one grandmother used to work at the zoo and she gave me a tour when I was younger and I could tell how loved these animals are by the zoo keepers and staff. I hope to get the chance to work/volenteer there. Great article! :) Give the animals love for me. Oh and I wish they still had the penguins there :(

jakie said...
on Apr. 16 2010 at 8:50 am
first of all zoos are all bad. you say that some zoos have bigger cages but still there in cages its nothing like there real enviroment.