Littering Harms | Teen Ink

Littering Harms

December 14, 2022
By jrobali7944 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
jrobali7944 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Littering! Littering is when a person places their garbage where it doesn’t belong or tossing a cup and wrappers out of a moving car. On average, there are about 152 pieces of trash for every U.S. resident, and that fact was put on google in September 2021, so think about how much it has risen since then. 

Littering has effects on a lot of things like animals, us humans, and just doesn’t make the area a pleasant sight. Littering kills animals just by leaving trash on the ground, they mess with it or try to eat it and that could get stuck in their throat. It could choke them or they could get stuck in the trash, and that trash pollutes not only the land but also pollutes the air and the ocean, then the animals there get stuck and could possibly die from that trash. Litter carries a crazy amount of bacteria and facilitates the spread of diseases, litter can also spread viruses, parasites (direct and indirect contact), and can cause problems with a person's respiratory system. 

Everyday the average American throws about 4.5 pounds of litter onto the floor and we need to lower that number because nobody needs any diseases. I think the first step to lowering that number is to put up anti-litter signs and put more trash bins in more walking places and maybe push the law on littering a little bit. 

Maybe a twenty dollar ticket would get people to stop littering. In conclusion if we get more bins, more signs, and push twenty dollar tickets, there would probably be less littering.


The author's comments:

I'm a student at Academy of Creative Education, a non-traditional high school in San Antonio, TX.