Dear California: Legalize It | Teen Ink

Dear California: Legalize It

March 27, 2010
By miranda_n BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
miranda_n BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
3 articles 2 photos 17 comments

Dear California:
Your economy is in the drink- which is used here as an economic term for not doing so hot. You have already legalized marijuana for medical use, but let’s face it- any Joe Shmoe on the street who wants some weed can get it relatively easily without a legitimist or honest use for it. It’s so easy to get that the people who want to use it already are; the demand won’t change drastically if you legalize it. If you do decide to make it legal you might have an easier time keeping it away from kids. You could regulate it to make sure the product is free of those nasty additive drug dealers like to throw in to get you hooked. And hey- you could make more than a buck or two by taxing it. A little extra revenue wouldn’t hurt in your time of need would it? This way you could clear out a few inmates to provide a couple of extra cots for the thieves and thugs who deserve to be there. You could treat it like alcohol; educate the kids on the negative effects, and put the same fines and punishments for driving while high that are in place for people who drive drunk. After all, being impaired is being impaired, no matter what the substance.

Out of any state in our great nation, you California would be the one to benefit the most from legalizing marijuana. Therefore you must lead the way for other states to follow. Grow up and stop shying away from the negative connotations. And when the time comes to vote in November, what will you say, California: Yay or Nay?


The author's comments:
This issue is going on the ballot in California; just thought I'd put in my two cents, feel free to put yours in too