Drunk Driving | Teen Ink

Drunk Driving

By musiclover826 BRONZE, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
musiclover826 BRONZE, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania

Every day 29 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes this is one death every 50 minutes. This is a serious and life threating issue. There are many solutions to stop drunk driving, but they only work if we put the plans into action.

How big is the problem? Look at this statistic. In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes. That is a lot of people. If that one statistic is not convincing enough for you look at this one. Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.

So, who’s at risk? Young people are most at risk. Among drivers with BAC levels of 0.08% or higher involved in fatal crashes in 2016, nearly three in 10 were between 25 and 34 years of age. Motorcyclists are the next among motorcyclists killed in fatal crashes in 2016, 25% had BACs of 0.08% or greater.

So, how can we stop this problem? We can stop this problem by using sobriety checkpoints especially on big holidays such as the Fourth of July or New Year’s Eve. We can require ignition interlocks for all offenders. Individuals can take their own steps too by designating a non-drinking driver or if you have been drinking ask a non-drinking friend for a ride home or call a taxi.

Together I believe we can work to stop this issue that affects millions of Americans each year.

I chose to write about this topic beacuse drunk driving killed my best friend less than a year ago. I miss him very much and I don't want other people to have to go through what I went through. 

duckworth said...
duckworth, ..., New Jersey

"yah"
~ me, lil ducky philadelphia t

you could work on transition sentences between paragraphs and adding more to the conclusion, but its pretty good