Teen in Jail | Teen Ink

Teen in Jail

September 11, 2009
By enilorac GOLD, St. Petersburg, Florida
enilorac GOLD, St. Petersburg, Florida
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Most people, kids and teens especially, have a negative stereotype of the type of kids who get involved in the “wrong crowd,” the kind who end up being arrested for the first time at age thirteen and face up to three and a half years in prison. Reading the blog “Teen in Jail” made me realize the fact that a gifted and caring kid can get into trouble just as easily as anyone else, maybe more easily because of the gifted part.

Ted is a teen who blogs from his prison cell by writing entries of his experiences and having his mom post them on the internet once she receives them. He hopes to educate others so that they don’t make the same mistakes he did. Once he gets out, he plans to change from a life of crime to one of education and a career.

Of his early school experiences, Ted says he “was very smart and could've done very well - it's just that I didn't care to try.”* Talented in writing and photography, he most likely would have had a successful career by now had he been challenged and motivated to learn by his teachers in school. Instead, he simply stopped going once he got to high school and turned to crime and drugs.

The lost potential is what saddens me most about Ted’s story. All it would have taken would be one teacher, someone who recognized his talents and encouraged him to share his writing and photography, to seize opportunities. Someone must have recognized his intelligence, but he wasn’t placed in a curriculum on his level.

There are so many gifted and talented kids in the United States who are bored with school, who don’t try, who don’t care because they were never challenged, never given a reason to strive for success. I hate to think that they will make mistakes like Ted. Just think of all those bright young people, stuck in prison cells instead of making new discoveries or creating the next great piece of art.

Everyone should read this kid’s blog (www.teeninjail.blogspot.com) to gain perspective, to avoid harmful decisions, and to help others stay on a good path. Kids like Ted shouldn’t ever end up in this situation.

* Source: http://teeninjail.blogspot.com/2009/08/school.html