Lowering the Drinking Age | Teen Ink

Lowering the Drinking Age

November 25, 2009
By john112233 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
john112233 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Governor Doyle,

I’m an 18 year old student in Wisconsin. I am writing to you in hopes of lowering the drinking age of alcohol to 18 years old with the use of a ‘drinking license’. I am aware the state is getting money from the federal government for highways in exchange for making the drinking age 21. When kids turn 18 they are legally an adult and take on adult responsibilities like voting, joining the armed forces, and the ability to get credit for loans and credit cards.

I think the idea of a drinking license should be able to lower the drinking age to 18. To get a license people would be required to take a class. In the classes, kids would be taught about responsible drinking and the consequences of drunk driving and health risks. The price of the class could bring in revenue to help offset the loss of federal highway money. Also, having a drinking license similar to a driver’s license will simplify the process of checking for fake identification by having two I.D. cards to cross-reference. On college campuses and in high schools, underage drinking occurs even with a 21 legal age. Letting these young adults consume alcohol after being educated will bring alcohol out of the dangerous underground of binge drinking, and into the public were consumption can be more regulated and safer. In public, other people are around could stop an intoxicated person from driving.

Young adults should get the freedom to consume alcohol if they choose. Lowering the drinking age with the use of an alcohol license should restore this freedom. The pros of responsible drinking ? like education and higher regulation greatly outweigh the loss of highway money which can be replaced through fees acquiring the license.


Sincerely,


John


The author's comments:
Being 18 is being a full adult in my mind.