Why We Must Combat the Prejudice Against Mental Illness | Teen Ink

Why We Must Combat the Prejudice Against Mental Illness

August 6, 2022
By Silence_Dogood GOLD, Sydney, Other
Silence_Dogood GOLD, Sydney, Other
13 articles 4 photos 0 comments

What image does your mind paint when you think of a person with mental illness? A hopeless, lonely madman, endlessly moving away from humanity?


If that’s the case, you’re not alone. The prejudice against mental illness has been a widespread issue throughout history. Humans tend to believe that those with mental illness have something terribly wrong with them, such as having been on drugs. One would readily think of a person with anxiety disorder as crazy and mad, but hardly ever use terms of this magnitude with those with cancer or malaria. In fact, a survey in Nigeria asking people to identify causes of mental illness yielded answers such as drugs and even divine wrath and witchery. However, few answered with scientific, true causes, including financial problems, loss of a loved one and simply, genetic factors. 


This prejudice against mental illness is not justified because it harms society, especially those suffering from illness. 


First, everybody faces mental health problems, whether big or small. Living in a fast-paced, competitive and unpredictable world, nobody is immune from mental illness. It could be anxiety before an exam, an annoying case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or simply being in a bad mood. Thus, prejudice against a person with mental illness is in a way prejudice against oneself. 


Second, a person who has a mental illness is not necessarily dangerous. One prejudiced view towards mental illness is that it can cause violent tendencies in individuals. However, research shows that people with mental illness are more commonly victims than perpetrators of violence. The idea that mental health sufferers are a risk factor is a total myth based upon ignorance.


Third, if somebody has a mental illness, it is not always their fault. Maybe there are some cases where a person has a mental illness because they have done drugs, but most of the time, it is not under their control. Who wouldn’t feel grief when they lose a loved one? Who wouldn’t be stressed when they have to worry about their bills every month? If one understands this, he would look at those with mental health problems quite differently.


Finally, prejudice against mental illness decreases the sufferers’ chances of asking for help. If a person knows that by asking for help they risk looking like a madman, they are less likely to do so. Without asking for help, they are less likely to successfully deal with that mental illness. In extreme cases, that could lead to social withdrawal and even suicide.


So now that we feel such a strong responsibility to end prejudice against mental illness, we must face the big question. HOW? How shall we go about combatting this huge problem that in reality affects us all right now? It is difficult to come up with an entire action plan, but here are a few suggestions.


First of all, it is fortunate to realize that simply raising awareness is effective in erasing prejudice. As we discussed above, the biggest reason why this prejudice exists is due to ignorance about mental illness. Hence, it is a wise idea to teach students about mental health from a young age. Outside of the classroom, action can be taken too. So, go home, go to work, go to your community and tell those around you about the prejudice against mental illness. Moreover, when you hear about a person with a mental illness, try to listen to their story. If you find out more about them, your view about them could change. Finally, stand up. If you see prejudice in action, it is never OK to stay silent. Speak up. Explain to whoever is being prejudiced why that prejudice is never justified. 


So now it’s your turn. Be the one who listens, thinks and educates. Be the one who is an upstander. Be the one who finds the real man inside the madman.