'ARE WE THE BLACKS WE THOUGHT WE WERE: Emergence Of 'Black Hispanics and Fade of the One-Drop Ru | Teen Ink

'ARE WE THE BLACKS WE THOUGHT WE WERE: Emergence Of 'Black Hispanics and Fade of the One-Drop Ru

By Nicholas Hébert DIAMOND, Austin, Texas
Nicholas Hébert DIAMOND, Austin, Texas

Are we the Blacks we thought we were? Are Black Hispanics a valid name for mixed bloods ?

Racial nomenclatures pose a question. Last was the reflective 'Who or What Is the American Negro'. Now, we dig and delve deeper into 'Creoles'. Significant populations of Creoles exist in the Eastern region of Texas, Los Angeles County, California, Haiti, Louisiana, etc. In researching the topic, you'd find textual contradictions in various sources. Generally, one can say that a Creole is of Mongloid, Negroid, and Caucasoid ancestry but the word itself is a meaningful historical variable. Creole families assumed Cajun identities after migrating west of the Mississippi River. Effectively, this 'Cajun Movement' re-divided and reconstructed society essentially in an ethnic manner. Louisiana 'latins' had become white but were referred to as 'Cajuns' on Louisiaa soil and non-white Creoles as Amerindians. These transitions can make genealogical research very difficult.

Cajun specifically is a subset of distinguished Louisiana francophones that isn't necessarily spoken by Creoles. It's an Amercanized variant of Francais Europeen and French Canadian or 'Acadian' language as a result of the Great Upheaval of 1755.

The American Civil Rights Movement had urged Creoles to accompany Negroes in the plight to gain equality by re-identifying themselves as Negroes thus nearly effacing their Creole name or identity. Creoles were included in the One-drop Rule and unconsciously were classified in the same category with American Blacks. The Louisiana Creole Heritage Center describes Creole people as mixed of French, Spanish, African , and Native American. In a sense, Creoles are somewhat of an 'ethnic gumbo'

Creoles as of circa 1718 included the Spanish ruling class-an aristocracy that occupied present-day Louisiana from the mid 1700s to early 1800s or until the diaspora in which these blacks would acquire French stock. A Creole illogically is undefined. In America it means one think and yet in Africa it means another. Strangely, a connection can be made betwixt these two . . .
Sao Tome, Africa was colonized briefly during the Age Of Exploration resultant in a sort of 'mixed bloods'-Portuguese and African and they then were called 'creole' from the Portuguese 'criollo' from the verb 'criar' which had meant 'to be born'. In Haiti and Louisiana in past instances, it was based on a system of admixture of Spanish and African bloods.-The connection being betwixt Spaniards and Portuguese. Both are 'of' the Iberian Peninsula and if in two cases if there were components used for a person to be considered a Creole, one might say that a Creole actually has a definition-someone of Iberian and Negroid descent. It can be hard to say.

In contradiction, Haitian Creole is derivative of French. A large majority of the language is 'of' the French language.
EXAMPLES:
M'di'Mardi
Vanmdi' Vendredi
Kriye' Crier
Vle' Voule
Bwe' Boire

Etc . . .

Whereas, in Belize, the language is mostly of the Spanish language but still a small portion is French. From popular belief, Creole is an admixture of French and African, African and Spanish, Portuguese and African, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and African [and sometimes SAXON]-depending on the region. Therefore, in most cases, a Creole is a Black Hispanic and dependent on the region, Black Hispanics include French stock . . .

theblazingstar101 GOLD, Foley, Alabama
So...what is your point?

elizabeth said...
i do not agree with that