Minimum Wages: Benefitting the World? | Teen Ink

Minimum Wages: Benefitting the World?

By eks22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
eks22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Many people want the minimum wage to be raise because it might benefit them. Some people might think that raising the minimum wage actually would not help because it could ruin jobs and businesses. But it could actually help people more than most people may think. It can reduce poverty. The minimum wage has been affecting how people live their lives for a while. Also raising the minimum wage can benefit people’s lives and benefit businesses. Why wouldn’t people want to raise the wage if it’s helping people who are poor and need help? This writing will argue that the minimum wages should be raised because they can help.

The minimum wage should be increased because it could help reduce poverty. Raising the minimum wage would lift around 900,000 out of poverty, “The government released a mixed analysis in 2014 that found adopting $10.10 minimum wage nationwide would lift 900,00 people out of poverty while eliminating 500,000 low income jobs,” which was found in the article, “Issue Overview: Minimum Wages. Even though it would eliminate 500,000 jobs there would be 900,000 less people not having very much food and shelter. There is a large movement to raise the minimum wage, “The council’s decision is part of a broader national effort to reduce poverty, said labor activist Elena Durazo,” found in the article, “Los Angeles City Council Clears Way For Minimum Wage of $15 An Hour.” That shows how there have to be other people who want the wage raised because otherwise there wouldn’t be a bigger movement.

Raising the minimum wage would benefit a lot of people. In Los Angeles alone a lot of people would benefit, “It would benefit as many as 800,000 low wage workers city-wide,” as stated in the article, “ Los Angeles City Council Clears Way for Minimum Wage of $15 an Hour.” If it’s benefitting 800,000 people just in Los Angeles why wouldn’t you want the minimum wage raised if it could benefit even more people? There are people in bad situations. For example, “‘Sometimes I have to walk half an hour from work to get to my apartment because money’s not enough  to pay a ride on the bus,’ Moran said,” as stated in the article ,“Los Angeles City Council Clears Way For Minimum Wage of $15 An Hour.” How do you feel about people having to do that? Imagine if you were in that situation. Raising the minimum wage could help people in that situation have money to actually have safe travels.

Raising minimum wages has a bad side too. For example,  “A larger burden would fall on low-skilled and working poor if they had fewer jobs available for them,” found in the article, “Issue Overview: Minimum Wages.” So poor people wouldn’t be able to get jobs, but raising the minimum wage could actually open up opportunities for people because if people gain more money they can start more businesses and more jobs will open up with more businesses. More money for people can also help them get essentials they need: clothes, food, drinks, blankets, houses, and more. The article “Los Angeles City Council Clears Way for Minimum Wage of $15 an hour,” stated that it would be hard for businesses to work, “Make it impossible for entire industries to do business.” Some people might say that raising the minimum wage will ruin the economy.

But if the minimum wage was raised it could help businesses. Raising the minimum wage seems like it wouldn’t benefit business, but it actually does. One example of this is, “Millions of workers would have more money in their pockets to spend, boosting demand for goods and services,” found in the article, “With Minimum Wage Rising, is America Ready for $15 an-hour Working World.” If the demand for goods was up that would help businesses. Another quote to support raising minimum wages is, “ They could see see greater sales as weaker rivals fold and shoppers spend more money from their higher wages,” stated by the article, “With Minimum Wage Rising, is America Ready for $15 an-hour Working World.” Yes there would be businesses going out of business, but the businesses that are still left will do better without rivals.

Raising minimum wages has a bad side too. For example,  “A larger burden would fall on low-skilled and working poor if they had fewer jobs available for them,” found in the article, “Issue Overview: Minimum Wages.” So poor people wouldn’t be able to get jobs, but raising the minimum wage could actually open up opportunities for people because if people gain more money they can start more businesses and more jobs will open up with more businesses. More money for people can also help them get essentials they need: clothes, food, drinks, blankets, houses, and more. Think about that. The article “Los Angeles City Council Clears Way for Minimum Wage of $15 an hour,” stated that it would be hard for businesses to work, “Make it impossible for entire industries to do business.

In conclusion, the minimum wage should be raised because there are many reasons to support it. The wage should be raised because it can help so many people. Yes, it reduces a lot of jobs but, it helps even more people than it hurts. Some people don’t have the money to buy essentials to raising the minimum wage would help that. Even if it’s not good they could up it by a few dollars instead of the original amount they want. Overall upping the minimum wage would help more people than it would hurt.