The Idealism of Modern Politicians | Teen Ink

The Idealism of Modern Politicians

October 17, 2015
By Glorious_Liberty BRONZE, Avon, Connecticut
Glorious_Liberty BRONZE, Avon, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

In today’s world of so many different races, religions, traditions, and lifestyles there is no room for a government to pass laws restricting the actions of something they don’t see “ideal.” The ideology of one believing that what they think is right must happen can often be aligned with that of a Fascist. Another example in modern politics is when liberals try to pass equality laws, such as outlawing the right of an employer to discriminate due to gender, race, or religion. Even though these efforts are out of good intention, which is to structure a more fair world, it is still based on the ideal situation implanted in the head of the politician. If someone says “ an employer should be able to not hire a black person due to his or her skin color”, most people’s immediately reaction is that the speaker is a racist and although he very well could be, he also very well couldn’t be. The people who saw that comment as racist forget that when a non-racist says something like this, it is not due to racism as they too are disgusted by the discrimination of people due to something as stupid as their skin but they know that passing a law based on an idealistic view such as a “non-racist standpoint” may help defeat racism but it also takes away the freedom of that employer to hire who they want based on somebody else’s view of an ideal world. Another fitting example would be if the majority of Americans believed that red is the best color that can go on clothing and passed laws restricting other Americans the right to wear different colors due to them not being “as good.” Often the thing that is right in the eyes of one person will clash with the beliefs of another, but it is the smarter of the two that can accept the other for who they are, even if they still think that they have terrible views. People will always have contrasting viewpoints, as they have had for eternity, but the majority of one ideology should not attempt to crush the other due to lacking support. The man that stands up for rights and defends the racist is in no way racist, but merely protecting the rights of the racist from the idealist who try to suppress him for his personal ideology.