Too Much Control | Teen Ink

Too Much Control

March 10, 2015
By love_running BRONZE, Douglas, Massachusetts
love_running BRONZE, Douglas, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Nobody likes it when our parents go through our texts or social media. How would you feel if the government was given permission to control the internet? Well, now they have and we have the FCC to thank for that.


Net neutrality- it is supposed to make sure that the internet isn’t faster for big companies with a lot of money than it is for the average person. This may seem like a good thing, but don’t be fooled. As Ted Cruz said, “This is the ‘ObamaCare for the internet.’”  Net neutrality is going to cost more money because internet access can no longer be sold in bundles of packages along with phone or cable service. Net neutrality gives the government, or the FCC the power to control the content on the internet. The government now has permission to take away or hide content that is found offensive to or contradicts liberal views.
     

Just like he did with ObamaCare, President Obama is trying to create solutions to problems that don’t exist and in the meantime, creating more problems. Telecommunication companies are already working on faster service, so there is no need for the government to make the internet “faster”. The government just wants to control one more aspect of our lives. By having the power to regulate and restrict content, the government will be able to make it more difficult to find information that contradicts the current administrators’ views.


Little by little, the government is taking away our rights without us even knowing. Net neutrality clearly violates the first amendment and limits our freedom of speech. President Obama has not gone to Congress to get any of these laws passed. Congress is our only say in what the government does, so without their opinions, we are not being represented. Our government system is supposed to be “For the people, by the people”, but unfortunately, we no longer have any say without the representation of Congress.