The World Needs Clowns (HaHaHa--Oh S#$t He Was Talking About Me) | Teen Ink

The World Needs Clowns (HaHaHa--Oh S#$t He Was Talking About Me)

March 13, 2012
By Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York
Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York
29 articles 0 photos 106 comments

What are clowns for? Have you ever really considered that question? I tried to, and as a result I slept two hours last night. Not because of the espresso I consumed, but rather due to the multifaceted nature of this problem. Many believe that comedians are meant only to amuse, lacking any productive motivation. However, after long contemplation I have come to the frightening conclusion that clowns are the decisive element: beneath the veil of hilarity every humorist has a point to prove.

Indeed, in this very day and age, laughter is especially necessary, defusing volatile situations and probing sensitive subjects from the cover of an innocent, painted smile. In the words of Bill Cosby: “through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.” During conflict, the ability to accept the situation, laugh, and turn away has an immense redeeming power on the vengeful mind. For instance, when the 16th century terrorist Aki Schoenbauer lost his favorite pointy stick, he had to resort to less conventional means of killing people: he proceeded to tickle thousands of villagers to death. When brought to trial, the judge and jury were highly amused, and he was released immediately on the grounds that he “was really quite creative and original and charming.” Truly, during less fortunate times many modern comedians would have been disemboweled by a furious mob but for their comic nature (although some still should be).
When the skilful court jester Dwen of Camelot told her majesty she looked “rather like a horse” (in his humble, lowly opinion), he was nearly thumbscrewed, skewered on a pole, and fed to the royal hounds. Instead, he suddenly realized that he was, in his words, “due for some major screwage,” and so quickly added that he was “just kidding.” As a result, the king relented and decided to merely “chop the bastard into a million pieces.” Humor may help to de-escalate a crisis merely by allowing us the option of taking jokes at face value, the ability to disagree without negative repercussions.

Humorists’ opinions are vital to society, even if this is not at first visible. For example, the wildly popular television show “Saturday Night Live” is famous for its mocking depictions of various celebrities, politicians, and social issues. And yet, once the laughter dies down, there remain grains of truth relating to actual problems in society: the vain celebrity sees her follies and corrects them; the avaricious politician comes under scrutiny, and is removed. Reggie the Republican is said to have laughed uproariously at “the one about the bonehead, the toilet, and the state’s money” until he suddenly grasped the true meaning of the joke. At which point he uttered the exclamation printed as the subtitle of this paper. In short, the public is entertained, and becomes aware; so too do those so fiercely caricatured.

We take them for granted, but humorists are essential in today’s world. They say what no one else dares or is able to say. They act as fools, while teaching us how to act. And they capture our minds, leading us to see the truth. Laugh at the clown, for he is funny. Then make sure he’s not pointing at you.