The Money Making Music Mayhem | Teen Ink

The Money Making Music Mayhem MAG

A typical teenager after school igoes home, walks to the television, and before a picture even appears is turning to MTV. Teenagers are being sucked into MTV's monopolistic commercialism. They have been brainwashed by MTV's advertising and aren't able to make their own decisions about what is good music and what isn't.

MTV has only been around for a decade but in those ten years they have become the dominant influence over teenagers worldwide. It has enough might to make its own trends in music, fashion, sports, dancing, and politics. Even problems like AIDS, drugs, homosexuals, and abortion are all brought in new directions. Teens are fanatical about who is the new number one or what style of music is most popular, what Cindy Crawford is wearing, why Madonna is in trouble this time, who is touring where, what is going on in an apartment with five strangers, and who Beavis and Butthead are going to moon this week. They have cornered the market, tapped every type of person from ten to thirty years of age, and there is absolutely no competition to challenge them.

MTV and the rest of the music industry is milking every dollar they possibly can from teenagers. It is sickening when I watch a "buzz" clip and see a band that can barely play their instruments. I say to myself, they will never make it, and then three weeks later they are the new number one and have sold millions of albums. The quality of music is going down fast. Musicians on MTV don't know what real music is, but MTV brainwashes the viewers to believe that this is the new great music.

When you hear music on MTV ask yourself what is it about this music that makes you want to listen to it. If everyone starts liking stupid songs then MTV will put out as many stupid bands as possible not because they want to satisfy you, it is money for them.

Realize that you are being fished in to spend money. MTV isn't kissing your butt by flashing summer houses and sweepstakes in front of you because they like you. They are doing it to get as much money as possible. ?