No Uniforms In Public Schools | Teen Ink

No Uniforms In Public Schools MAG

By Anonymous

   It's a beautiful, warm spring day in May 2010. The birds are singing, and the bees are buzzing. Everything is full of life, except for public schools. The sounds of students marching in single line echoes through the air. They obey every command given by their drill sergeants (teachers). Their independence and creative spirit have been taken away from them. High school has become like the U.S. Army. The reason for this change: school uniforms.

Ever since the implementation of the use of uniforms as a mandatory dress code by President Clinton in 1996, the school system has taken a turn for the worse. At first the schools were the same, except everyone wore the same clothes. Because of uniforms, gang violence slacked off a little. This was expected and the number of killings for a pair of $90 sneakers or a cool shirt was drastically cut. The government was happy with the results, but they wanted to try and end violence totally.

To do this, they passed a law that declared make-up and jewelry illegal. The students couldn't understand this. All of a sudden, the government thought that make-up and jewelry were just as bad as alcohol and drugs. Violence did subside a bit, but this was the beginning of the end for the government. This law angered the students.

The next law they passed said that all boys had to shave off their hair and all girls had to cut their hair so it was shoulder length. Some students were fine with a dress code and the abolition of jewelry and cosmetics, but all of them were outraged at the idea that everyone have the same haircuts. Students protested, but the government prevailed.

After Clinton won re-election, these laws were put into effect. The students felt that they had lost their individuality and creative spirit. Because of the hatred for the laws, many students resorted to violence, this time against the teachers! The government then sent in military officers to enforce the laws and put down student uprisings. The students felt threatened by the government intervention. The protests continued, and the government had two choices: they could restore things to the way they had been or they could turn the public schools into military academies. Because they couldn't admit they were wrong, thye chose the latter.

Do you really want the school system to end up like this? If you don't, the answer is simple: don't allowschool uniforms to be mandatory in public schools! ?