Vacation Devastated | Teen Ink

Vacation Devastated MAG

By Anonymous

   In 1865, the 13th Amendment was ratified, clearly stating that slavery in America would not be tolerated. Unfortunately, this is not true anymore. Children in grades 6-12 all over the country are suffering from a very brutal form of slavery, commonly known as Summer Reading. This program, for those who aren't familiar with it, is based on the concept of assigning a lot of schoolwork over summer vacation. Students are expected to read two to five books, answer complex questions, outline them, and write lengthy compositions, which count as a major grade when school actually starts. Plus, at the beginning of the school year, the students are given a test on all the material, and often are not permitted to refer to their notes. This is not a justified action on the school's part. We are given vacations so that we have time to relax and not feel pressured about school. If they really want us to do this work, why don't they have us do it during school months, instead of ruining our time off?

Of course, I understand that we shouldn't forget what we learned over the summer. It wouldn't be wrong to have us read a book or two and then give us a test. But the work I am forced to complete is becoming intolerable. Until summer reading is somehow simplified, I refuse to withstand this torture, and I know that many will agree with me. I hope that teachers will soon discover that overworking students, while they are supposed to be resting their brains, is an act of unjust slavery. ?