True Lover's Knot | Teen Ink

True Lover's Knot

By hersheykaur, baltimore, Maryland
hersheykaur, Baltimore, Maryland

“Gemini where are you?” “We have many things to do today.”
“James I can’t find your daughter again, she’s sixteen now but when is she going to grow up.” “Where does this girl always disappear to on her birthday?”
“My queen Lily I know where she is. She’s at the truth garden, where she goes on her birthday. I will go get her.”
(“Gemini”!) ( “Gemini”!)
I would hear my father looking for my like always on this day.
“Gemini do you have to make things hard for your mother and me?” Asked my father.
“Your mother has been looking for you all over the place.”
Father you know that I come to the truth garden on my birthday because I want to start a new year in my life with the truth. When I see the flowers in the sun they remember me of what new hope looks like. In the truth garden you can only talk in the truth, and I pick this garden for a really special reason. And I think you know what the reason is, don’t you father.
Yes, Gemini I know what your wish is, your wish will be coming true after sixteen year. I will talk to the administration on Monday you don’t have to worry about it. Just for once enjoy this day my Princess Gemini. Now let’s go before your mommy turns the house upside down.
“I’ll there in a minute, father.”
My father has guided me though my life and has been my biggest supporter to follow my dreams. For all my life I have dreamed for only one thing only and that is to live life, talk and dress like they humans. This dream has become more my father’s then mine because he just wants to make his little girl happy. He has been fighting for me with the administration for the last year and the last hearing is tomorrow. Although my father is the king he has to make all important decisions with the administration.
I live in the nation called Knatus right above the humans in the clouds. They have no knowledge of what kinds of people share this earth with them. We call ourselves the Noveen race, we started as normal humans but due to a mutation in the DNA we obtained super powers. For a while the two races lived in peace but soon after under the orders of high ranked officials’ noveens living in the US and around the world were removed from their homes and placed in power containment camps. They justified their actions by arguing that the noveens were a danger to the human population. Life in the camps was hard. A number of noveens died and suffered from the medical testing done in the camp.
They could not take that their own government was using them as slaves. The separation of the two races could be around 200 years ago, then the Noveens started to fight against the humans, so the governments the world come up with the Nove agreement which said that the humans would leave the Noveens alone and destroy the evidence that they even existed.
And the Noveens would find another place to live, so all the noveens get together and started a nation right above the humans in the clouds. A few Noveens know about the humans, but there are many stories and myths that are passed down from generation to generation. My bedtime story teller, my grandmother, had firsthand experience living with the humans. Only two book were ever made about this part of history, one is locked the White House and the second one is in the Beginning Temples.
“Princess Gem where are you?” Sara said with excitement
“I can hear a mile away”
“Are you not excited for your big day, why the sadness in your voice?”
“So what are you doing go and get dressed” I demanded
“Ok as you wish, see you at the party”
“And what did I say about calling me princess, for you I’m just Gem”
“Sorry, bye”
Sara my best friend in this whole world, she’s like my sister that I even had. We’re opposites of each other but very good friends. She has a fun-love, rick-taking, fast-talking side to her. She can understand my feeling without me even saying a word to her. We both can get on each other’s nerves sometimes but we can’t live without each other. Sometimes I feel miserable that I’m being so hard on her, but it’s all the worrying with the administration judgment tomorrow. I don’t know how I’m going to sleep tonight.
As I got ready for the party one thing that I’m turning sixteen, the age when I leave childhood and began my adulthood life, with more responsibly to my nation Knatus. Nevertheless today is a very unique day for me. Because I’m going to get a leaf trivia from my mother that symbolizes the strengths and independences a princess gets from her mother. For now all my attention is on getting through the night, and making my parents pride.
My party is the celebration of colors; Sara came up by the idea. All the guests are going to wear white so everyone can throw colored powers on each other. The party is taking placing in an open garden with a lot light. This party represents the childhood innocence and playful atmosphere with a serious mood. We both want shopping for our dresses at the boutique last weekend. My dress is white with a v-shaped neckline added with light pink pearls. I like Sara’s dress which is also white but has a sweet heart neckline with ruffles. We always like each other’s thing better than our own.
I had heard stories about party had the humans plan with drugs, alcohol and other dangerous activates. But in Knatus, we like to live life on the safe side. Many noveens don’t even know what drug or alcohol is. As far as I know it is some kind of liquid that slows down the brain. That sounds terrible to me, so we know one thing many humans can’t make good decisions.
“Princess Gemini, are you ready my dear” walked into the room looking beautiful like always.
“Yes, mom, just a little nervous” trying to look in the eyes
“My little girl as grown up so fast” said with satisfaction
“You look very beautiful in your white gown; just try not to worry too much”
“Mom, worrying has become a habit of mine” I know she could see it on my face
“For once just try to enjoy your party, with everything going on I know it’s hard” she declared
“I will try, mom”
“You finish getting ready, I will go welcome the guest” said as she walked out
Like every mother, mine worries too much. She does want my dream to come true but is fearful of humans. She worried about letting her little girl go in the dangerous world of the humans.
“Gem, are you ready? Look at me, what do you think?”Said right behind me
“You scared me; I love this grown on you”
“And me”
“You look simply beautiful”
“Let’s go, don’t want to be late”. I could see the excitement in your eyes
Sara walked me down to the entrance before she disappeared into crowd, so I could have a few minutes to myself to calm my nerves. I always wanted my entrance to be simple but special so I am just going to enter from behind a bright pink curtain.
The monument that curtain was lifted; I could hear all the cheers. With so many friends and family singing, I could make sense of what their saying. After a few minutes it final hit me that it was the happy birthday song.
I tried to look in all direction, with so many eyes looking right at me I do not know what to do. And I didn’t even where Sara disappeared to.
I stared the party by taking red power and smeared all over my mother’s face. She seemed surprised, but very glad by my bold move.
My next victim was my dad, but he got me before I get the chance. All the colors started to fly into the sky before lending on everyone.
I final found Sara her vivid white dress had turned into a color wheel. The DJ started the night off with my favored song. We were dancing on clouds, for a few hours I forget lifelong dream.
It was time for the most valuable monument of my life, the passing for the leaf trivia from my mother. I saw the marvelous trivia for the first one in my mother’s hands going towards me. The mood became downbeat, with everyone settling down to their seats.
My mother placed the trivia on my head with care. On my head the trivia felt heavy, I could see the sprinkle in my mother eyes. Once again I had so many eyes staring that me. The next step was cut the birthday cake. With the day coming to an end, my nerves kicked back into gear. I could see everyone clapping but couldn’t hear it.
Everyone said their byes and good wishes, and without people the garden looked good with all the colored power on the flowers. My parents told me to go home with Sara, and that they would take care of rest.
On my way home I dropped Sara home. She said good bye, and ran inside. She looked very tired. As a walked I thought of all the outcome that tomorrow can bring. With the moon following, I redirected my thoughts to the positive side. Suddenly while I was walking I saw a falling star, without hesitation I made my wish. I usually don’t believe in that kind of things, but it’s my last hope.

I tried falling asleep; it looked like sleep run away from my eyes. When you have only dreamed about one thing every night, it’s hard to imagine that in a few hours it could be coming true or not.
I was awaken by the sunlight penetrating though the windows, but I don’t remember when I fell away. I was both pleased and nerves to start this day.
As any other day, I started with getting dress and heading down stairs for breakfast. My parents were waiting for me that the table.
“Good morning mom”
“Good Morning dad”
“Good Morning gem” they said that the same time
“Ready for school” mom asks. I nodded
“Don’t worry, we’ll know the administrations decisions with the end of the school day” dad said
I finished my breakfast and said good bye.
I am a senior at Hothic Academy. The medieval palace sits in the middle of a hundred acres surrounded by woods with 50-feet trees. From the outside the school can look scary with tall gray stone wall. But inside it’s like going through 200 years of noveen history. The day starts with walking through the large, double french doors that have a deep red color. My first step into the eerie castle echoes, I look down at the cold, hard marble floors, each tile chosen with a specific taste in mind. The walls have beautiful paintings all around the room from different parts of the world. There is a set of double staircases, one on the left, and one on the right. The railing of the staircase is exquisitely engraved with flowers and vines, never a one to be the same. There are six large stone pillars evenly spaced, to keep the castle standing. Each one is elegantly carved to accent the Renaissance feel of the castle. To your left, there is a grand wooden door that leads to a very large library. To the right there is a door that leads to a green house, with too many plants to even think about counting. Each one from a different place in the world, you could tell. The best part of the school is the bubble fountain in the garden right beside the school. The bubble fountain is where you can ask a question and get the answer the bubble produced by the fountain.
With over 500 rooms the school houses all grades from pre-k to eleventh. Within every grade all the students are divided into five classes according to their super power. There are only five superpowers that noveens have due to the mutation Spoed, Wits, Mouche, Prataer, and Lumipad. The students are in divided in to their class after dialogic test at the end of fifth grade because that when the powers start to show up. The academy is divided into five classes, so each power group can better understand and develop their power.
The academy is terrible at preventing discrimination among the classes. Most students don’t have friends outside of their classes and there are numerous amounts of competition among the classes. One system that promotes discrimination is the altitude broad that measures the success on tests of the classes each mouth and then ranks them for first to fifth. And every mouth the first class wins a prize for their success. The Spoed dormant the altitude broad, come in first so of the time, sometime it feels like there are only two classes at the school.
The Spoed, spoiled little braises, that have the power of speed that want anything to go their way and not care about others feeling. They aren’t good at working together because they are always focused on achieving their own goals. They always want freedom and independence.
Next come the Wits, they have the power of intelligent, saying that would be an understatement. They have an excellent ability to understand difficult organizational problems and create solid solutions. They like to be in the center of attention in social situations. In the noveen teenage world the Wits are conceded the poplar group out for all the classes. With the profit hair and cloths the Wits rule the hallways of Hothic Academy.
Next on the line for most liked class after the Wits is Mouche, with the power of strength. Their personally is way different then what it should be. They are the good citizen who value security and peaceful living. They are also well-respected for their perseverance in doing the right thing.
The Lumipads are nether liked or disliked; they have the power of flit. Because they are very quiet, serious, and sensitive. My best friend Sara is a Lumipad; they only reason how Sara and I get to be friend is because she was in all my classes before the dialogic test. Like other Lumipads she is loyal and faithful in everything she dose.
Last and the least the Prataers, have the power to read mind are the most disliked class in the whole academy. I know this from experience because I am a Prataer. I think the main reason why other classes extremely hate us is because a Prataer can always tell what the other person is thinking at all times. I think that makes person unconformable at talk to us.
I was sitting in ‘How to read people with an over active brain’ class when I heard my name over the intercom system.
“Princess Gemini pleases come to the front office” the sectary with a deep voice said twice.
I walked the long walk to the office in a quick and nimble matter bounded across the pavement. I took long strides. I could feel my breath become rapid, racing for my destination, desperate to be there before it was too late.
I froze before I opened the huge golden doors that looked thousand years old. Half of me wanted to know what is behind the doors and the other half wanted to turn around and walk the away.
As I open the doors the lighting in the room was so blinding that I couldn’t seen where I was walking. A woman in her mid twenties showed up right in front of me.
“Princess Gemini fell me” when she said that I could tell she was the sectary come the intercom
She led me to a door that said Head Master in big fence letters. I have never noticed that all the doors in the academy are gigantic until today.
The first I saw so my father sitting on the chair in front a massive desk. The deck had to be from the dark ages, made by a very old angry wood craftsman that had too much time on his hands.
As I opened the door both my father and the head master looked up at the same time. My father had this small sideways smile on his face. That’s always a good sign.
“Princess Gemini pleases have a set” said the head master in his harsh voice
“We have to talk about how you are going to finish your senior year”
“Sorry sir I don’t follow” I said unsure of myself
“I have some good news for you” said my father
“What is it” I said in a squeaky voice
‘I’ll tell in a minute, but for right talk your head master”
Does he real think that I’m going to wait? Moments like this one are why I love being a Prataer. All I could read was “how should I tell gem” before the head master interrupted.
“So princess how could you like to finish your year. I can give you two options. The first being that you can take all their exams before you leave. Or you can take them when you come back.”
“I would like my exams before I go”
“Perfect, I will have that argued tomorrow” said the head master
“I really appreciate your help, head master” said my father
I would not wait to get out that office. I just wanted to know what was up. I followed my father out the huge door. We walked in silence until we stepped out of the academy. Once outside my father began the conversation.
“Princess Gem I have to tell you something”
“Yes father I know, I have been trying to read for the last twenty minutes”
“So what did you get?”
“Nothing, you are getting really good that not thinking of thing when I am around”
“The administration was ruled that they are willing to sent you down to the humans”
“No way, you are joking right, I can’t believe this”
“You will be staying at your Aunt Kim house”
“I can’t believe that I am final going to meet Aunt Kim and her family”
“Let’s go home now and start packing your bags”
“This is all like a dream”