My Morning | Teen Ink

My Morning

By Emma-Leigh7 BRONZE, Augusta, Georgia
Emma-Leigh7 BRONZE, Augusta, Georgia

"One word. All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things - trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

in The Silver Chair, by C. S. Lewis

Summary:

What would you do, if you had the chance to leave everything you have known for a dream?

Tara Williams is Nova at Danse Academie, a girl who once would have been called an It Girl, a Socialite Queen. But to the students at Danse Academie, those words don't exist, along with thousands of upsider sayings. Day, sunlight, flowers- anything to suggest a world outside of the Midnight School.

Foundlings quickly learn not to suggest blasphemies to the Borrowed- and if they want to keep their heads, don't dare utter them to one another. They follow the rules the Instructors have set for a HAPPY LIFE, and forget their worries. That's what they came for, right?

The Borrowed, like Tara, don't worry about slipping up. Danse and Darkness are all they know. All she has ever known.

Until Charles, a Foundling who refuses to obey the rules, irregardless of consequences. And he speaks of a time called Day, where a great ball of fire lights up the sky. A place where the sky is blue, the grass is green, and warmth is more common than biting cold. A place where you can be free. A time called day. He is going back. And Tara, suddenly, finds herself wanting to come with him.

Emma-Leigh C.

My Morning