The vampire who fell in love | Teen Ink

The vampire who fell in love

Author's note:

This is only the first couple of pages but I hope you enjoy.

One day a girl sat on her bay window and made no movements other than the rise and fall of her chest as she drew each shaky breath. She was recently diagnosed with xeroderma pigmentosum ( a disease that is most likely fatal  and can cause severe skin cancer) . This etable in the duch treat, she saw a peculiar man sitting at her table. So like any other person she went to the waiter and told her, “There is a man sitting at my table.”

So the waiter replied, “I am really busy so can you please ask him to move.”

So the girl named Cherry went back over to the man and said, “sir this is my table would you please move.” She says so nervously that she is literally shaking as she says that he stands up and she realizes that he is ginormous, about seven foot five.

Five (the  guy) says, “don't worry ma’am I am just here to talk” he says in an oddly cheery voice it sounded so nice his voice was as rich as molasses yet as sweet as honey.  He sits back down and says, “would you please sit down, I was wondering why you never come here during the day. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.”

Cherry replied with, “It’s fine I will tell you. I was recently diagnosed with xeroderma pigmentosum , a disease with extreme light sensitivity. If I go in the sun for even a millisecond I could die, so fun right. I can’t even open my window.”

Five says while being almost in shock , “really neither can i but I have a very different different reason but i can’t say why It’s top secret so have you known your whole life or  did you just find out, and if you just found out how have you stayed out of the sun for so long without knowing ?

She replied , “I was just informed about this last year which I know is crazy but somehow I was never exposed to sunlight. It was probably because my parents had suffered a misscarrage right before I was born, so my parents were always very overprotective. They were always scared that I would get sunburnt and never let me outside so that is just how I was raised.

“ So you don’t wonder what it's like to feel the sun on your face, the wind in your hair, the sand under your feet, or eat ice cream outside on a hot summer day with the bees and ocean waves?” he asked

“Of course I do. I wish I could do all those things but life isn’t fair and it dealt me a pretty awful hand,  but there is no way to fix this so I just have to suck it up and grit my teeth.”

“So you want to be just like other girls.” he teased

“Of course I don’t but sometimes I envy them and how free they are to do whatever they want to.” she said while looking down at her plain chicken noodle soup. Five looked over at her over his drink and a small smile formed on his face, but just then Cherry looked up and caught him looking at her. He looked away and blushed, “what, do I have something on my face.” she asked

“N-n-no you d-don’t.” he says

“ Then what's wrong?”

“ Nothing’s wrong.” he stated

“ Ok then.” she said, “I better get home now.” but then she realizes that it is light outside so she runs into the closet with five the closet was approximately thirty by twenty feet long so there was a ton of space. The closet was brightly lit with blue walls that were extremely light. There were couches. The first one had three cushions and was orange. The second was L-shaped and a brilliant red color. The third was a purple loveseat, this sounds like a bad color combo but in reality it looked amazing. In the left corner of the closet there was a hearth with several extra logs and directly across from the loveseat was a beautiful dark oak tv stand with a sixty inch flat screen TV. 

“Who designed this room? It looks amazing.” Four said

“Why thank you I designed this isn’t my first time getting stuck here. Now where did I leave that remote?” She said

“I found it.” they both said at the same time while they both are holding one end of the remote they both look up and blush. They Both let go at the same time and the remote fell on to the beautiful lavender shag rug. They both laughed at how clumsy they are. 

“ Here I will pick it up. Here you go Cherry.”he said

“ why thank you Five. Can I ask you a question?”

“Shure you can.” he said

“ You said that you can't go into the sun but not because you have X.P. Why can’t you go into the sun?” She asked

“If you get it right i will let you know” so they spent the day there. Cherry guessed so many things but then one time Cherry guessed that he was bitten by a radioactive cat. But then she fell asleep on his shoulder and realized that his skin was as cold as ice and as hard as diamonds. And she finally came up with what he was.

“Are you a vampire?” she asked. He slowly nodded and sat on the opposite side of the room so she followed him and sat right next to him.

“Why do you still want to be near me?” he asked

“Because I like you, is that so hard to believe?”she asked 

“ Yes yes it is, I'm a vampire.” he said and walked over to the hearth and lit several large logs and then rested his head on the brick chimney of the fireplace. When he finally turned around he wasn’t very happy. His face was twisted into a frown and he was all huffy and very sensitive. The tiniest thing set him off, all Cherry did was set her hand on his back and he shoved her hand off of his back, and he stomped off to the other side of the closet.

“I'm sorry but please don’t come near me. I haven't fed in three days.” he said

“ Ok, but answer this, do you eat human blood or animal blood?” she asked

“ Animal I am not a monster.” he responded. He never felt so appalled in his existence.

“ I figured as much because I knew that you couldn't bring yourself to harm others.” she stated while all he could do was try not to pull her into a cold embrace. That is the exact reason that he didn’t so he wouldn't freeze her. There was one thing that baffled him and It was the fact that he could see everyone's thoughts, except her’s. In his eight hundred years of existence he hadn't come across this. Suddenly the door opens and for fear of Cherry being exposed to sunlight four grabbed her and jerked her out of the way. They landed with a soft thud on the couch in a ball of limbs. He quickly realized that her arm had a shallow scrape. Although it was barley deep enough to bleed it did and all he could smell was her blood just as the smell almost overcame his control The cafe owner that opened the door moments ago was now in the room 

“It’s night now, you can leave .” she said before striding off four and Cherry walked out hand and hand, Smiling. Over the years there bond only grew stronger till one day when four decided to ask Cherry out he made a whole plan he was going to wait till they met at the cafe the next night  where over a fresh hot bowl of spaghetti he would ask her out to the final screening of the cinderella story he would buy her a big bucket of popcorn and a large box of junior mints. These were her favorite snacks for a movie and he picked this movie theater because it had her favorite drink, cranberry ginger ale. This was a for sure winner and he was sure she would accompany him. So he left the house and met up with her at their table. To his surprise he noticed that she wasn’t at their table but instead she was at another table with another boy. This lit a flame in his gut and he only got worse when he saw them holding hands on top of the table. They then got up and walked out of the caffe hand and hand but just before they left four caught a glimpse of the guy and quickly realized that the boy was his brother Arthur, who four hadn't seen in years this caused some concern because while four was only feeding on animals his brother wasn’t so keen on that idea. To make sure Cherry survived, four followed her and Arthur. They went through the woods behind the bike trail and stopped to admire the Spartie pond.