Shudder | Teen Ink

Shudder

By Correspondence, The Cosmos, California
Correspondence, The Cosmos, California

"Do not let the fear of unhappiness cripple your pursuit of finding what it is you believe." ~Tyler Joseph

Author's note:

Has Twilight themes. Hopefully I don't offend you vampire lovers with this twisty novel. I've been wanting to write something like this for quite a while. A work in progress, so bear with me. ~Correspondence

First novel! Tell me what you think!! ~Correspondence

Only until this moment had I realized that my perspective was wrong. All this time I'd tried to run, not knowing what from,  or where to. No matter where I go to seek refuge, I will never be alone. Here, even among these shadows, I was seemingly safe. Little did I know that what I should have been running from, I was running towards. He was the silence - that eerie quiet - right before someone is stabbed.  A mysterious hunter. And I sailed headfirst into his trap. Fool.

The "~" symbolizes a stretch of time, not a page break/count. Saosin is an amazing band, check 'em out if you'd like.

Rain pelted the ground, the slick road coated in a spray of cold water. Fog enveloped the trees that skirted the damp street, obscuring what little exposure the already dense forest had to offer. 

I looked up at the overcast and scowled. Guess who gets to drive in it. 
Bolting from underneath the dry porch and into the soaked driveway, I hopped into my car. I flipped open the mirror and adjusted my now-slick hair. Touching my make-up clad face, my fingers lingered on my pale cheeks and the dark spots under my lined eyes. With a huff, I closed the mirror and jammed my key into the ignition so that I could blast the heater. 
I gave the dark sky one last glare through my dripping window before carefully pulling out from my driveway and heading into the downpour to school. What a lovely start to the school year. Storms! Yay!! For August, this was somehow very predictable weather. Rain, clouds, and thunderstorms galore. Beachy summer heat? Not here. I don't exactly hate the wet weather; it's just annoying trying to speed my way to school and get stuck behind overly-cautious drivers on the highway. 
After finally swerving into the school parking lot, windshield wipers working overtime, I pulled into a decent spot and turned the car off. Gathering all my things from the passenger seat I leaped out and locked my car mid-run. Shoving my books into my bag I push open the building's doors and rush into what I hope is first period. The all familiar room welcomes me happily. Impasto residue adorn the black tables, and painting chemicals fill my nose. My dirty, happy place. I carefully chose a clean seat in the back row. A few other students loiter around the classroom, not too sure where to sit. The teacher, whose name is boldly written on the white board,  Ms. Peterson, smiles widely and ushers us all to sit down. 
"Welcome to Art Two; please take a seat and pull out your sketchpad or find one on the far wall." Her voice was sweet and her peach lipstick made me think of warm summers long forgotten. This definitely beats Arizona. 
I yanked my sketchbook from my tattered bag, and grabbed a few tools before giving this bubbly teacher my full attention. Shuffles and page-flipping followed. 
"I will be giving a lecture on Renaissance oil-painting. I expect notes and concept sketches." Ms. Peterson uncapped a marker and started scribbling words on the whiteboard. Thick bracelets jingled from her wrist as she wrote.  Her lecture thus began, and I watched the small group of students diligently taking notes, following her every word. Time passed slowly, even for art. I tried to listen but found myself sketching absentmindedly. Looking down at my paper I saw myself drawing a gnarled creature with thick wings, looming over a shadowy room. I shaded the monster's glistening eyes and detailed the long, feathered wings. 
Come on Toby, better listen now or fail your favorite subject. Hah, kiss university good-bye with doodles like this. 
I continued to mindlessly draw until I heard a few uncomfortable shifts and dead silence. Looking up from my pad, twelve pairs of eyes bore into my skull. Ms. Peterson gave me an all-knowing look and walked in my direction. As the silence drew on, she finally spoke, 
"Ms." - she referred to her clipboard - "Haight, is this discussion so boring, that you've resorted yourself to doodling?" 
Pretty much. Yes. But I held my tongue. Maybe some inspirational speech? A, "You can do it! College awaits!" monologue? 
The teacher sauntered toward my table and examined my sketches, her creamy acrylic nails gripping the sides. My breath caught in my throat. She studied the paper, down to every last eraser smudge. 
Thankfully, instead of critiquing my irrelevant artwork, she dropped the pad back onto the dirty table and muttered something illegible before continuing her lecture down the isles of seats. I sighed deeply. My grade might waver, but at least she isn't a bitch. 
Thank. God. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the near-encounter with my art teacher, the remaining classes blended together like muddy watercolors. Government, Biology, English, all mixed together into one indecipherable blur. Even expecting my favorite subject to be at least enjoyable was far-fetched. As I trudged to lunch, my mind wandered to far off fantasies; inspirational coffee shops and wandering the shelves of a local art store. If an art college is something in my oh-so-near future, then I'd better get my act together. Sure, I'd been accepted to a decent one, and I may have talent that equated to the dirt underneath your fingernails, but that spark may not be enough to get me a well-paying job.   
The dismal mood continued throughout lunch. As the rain pelted the roof outside with icy bullets, I engrossed myself in my sketches while attempting to nibble on the bruised apple I bought. The grotesque beasts continued to fill my pages, each once holding a different grimace with dark graphite. 
I felt a shove on my left side, a sudden bump on my drawing arm and resulting in one dark spider leg on my mostly-filled page. Frustration bubbled beneath the surface. Seriously? Just saunter over and ruin my work? Thanks. I peered over my curtain of dark hair to find a familiar face. All rage melted away.  
"Toby! Long time no see! Where have you been all summer?"

Shutting myself from society, the usual. How about you? The girl grinned childishly at me, her black eyeliner smudged as her brown eyes crinkled. Drew. Drew Palter. Now I remember: we've been friends since freshman year, connecting artistically when time allowed. But we've started to drift away over the years ever since popularity stole her from me and my lonely self. I stared at her strange outfit: neon pink jeans with a white T-shirt peppered in holes. Her faded pink hair was twisted into a messy bun, falling in places. My dark outfit paled next to her eclectic fashion statement. 
I stopped examining, remembering common human interaction, and opened my mouth. 
"Hey Drew. It's been so long; I was working on my portfolio most of the summer, and took some classes. Sorry we couldn't meet up." I brushed some hair from my face and covered my sketchbook with my elbow. I've always been weirded out at people watching me draw or being overly observant. The case still stands for Drew. 
"Fine, I'll let you have that." she said playfully, "We need to see each other now that school's started again". 
Right. 
"Sounds great D, free this weekend?" 
Drew's eyes narrowed suddenly as she fiddled with her hair. 
"Oh, I actually. . . have a date on Saturday; and Sunday I'm shopping with Megan. Sorry." She smiled apologetically. Megan is her older sister, and since she's starting college, they decided to go dorm shopping together. 
Hmm. Drew asks Toby to hang out. Toby offers a date. Drew quickly refuses. Anything wrong with this picture? 
I assumed this conversation was over. The awkward silence continued so I pondered over my half-eaten apple until the bell rang. Drew quickly gathered her things and stood. 
"See you around. Text me if you can." She squeezed my shoulder with her newly painted nails - probably leaving marks - and walked off. When I was alone, I stood, 
"That reunion went well." I tossed my fruit into the nearest trash and hurried out of the lunchroom, grappling books in my arms. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The final bell rang loudly, but to me it screamed of my freedom. I scribbled down my homework list before shoving the paper in my bag and rushing out the door and into the parking lot. The rain steadied to a dull sprinkle, so when I shrugged off my black jacket in my car, only a few droplets splattered onto my passenger seat. I blasted Saosin through my old Corolla's speakers on my way home, pumping my free leg to the beat against the carpet. The shrieks filled my ears, drowning out all else with each heavenly scream. 
Pulling into the driveway I saw my mom's parked Honda. I got out, collected my things and went inside. The warm smell of chicken wafted through the hall, drifting up to my cold face. At least I don't have to make dinner tonight. Even though Kelsee isn't  always home in time to see me at night, when she is here her happiness is so strong you can almost see it in the air. Even without Dad, she was still a great mom. Nothing seemed to bring her down, even a divorce. 
She smiled in my direction as I passed, and when she asked me how my first day went, I filled her in with unusual exuberance. 

We talked for a while as we ate, laughing and smiling all the while. I tried to ignore her quick scrutinization my black-on-black outfit, and kept my twisted frown plastered to my face. It seems as though a different Toby Haight reveals itself when I'm around Kelsee. It felt good to genuinely be happy; the artist angst can only cradle me for so long. After dinner, I did the dishes slowly, and headed upstairs to my room. I threw my bag onto my bed and slipped into the bathroom to shower and settle down. Throwing on a thin tank top and some sweats, I plopped on my bed and started my load of assignments.
At some point through the night, when my eyes could no longer handle the tiny printed sheets, I dozed off. 
As my mind drifted off to sleep, dark dreams loomed into my head like a black fog. I was standing in a shadowed room, unable to see anything in front of me, rendering my vision useless. I groped around in the dark, until my pale fingers settled on something. There was an even darker figure in front of me. I flinched my hand away, and the creature shuddered at my touch. The figure was hunched over, and the closer I looked, I realized this beast resembled my monstrous sketches from Art Two. 
Great. 
Thick wings spilled out from the monster's haunches, stretching twice it's size. Strangely enough, when the figure looked directly at me, all darkness fled, streaking the room in blinding white. Fear crept its way into my flesh, choking me. I staggered back onto the icy floor, and gazed horrifically at the creature. It reared its' head back and snarled, exposing sharp, yellowed teeth. Before I thought I would faint, the beast sat back down and morphed. Actually morphed. Changing from this mighty behemoth, it phased into a man. Er, a boy. The boy stared down at me from the floor, clothed in the black fog. His hair was crow black and long, spilling about his face. He was stunning, in an eerie sort of way. I was too caught up in his beauty to realize a set of huge inky wings covering his shoulders. They twitched nervously at my presence. A pair of glowing yellow eyes bore into mine. He brooded for a moment more, his face shifting from neutral to seething rage. Something registered behind his eyes. He suddenly crouched down low, and lunged for my throat, blurring into the winged monster once again. 
Then I awoke. Flinging off the sheets, I sat there, panting. Sweat beaded around my temples, matted hair clung to my hot cheeks. The lights were still on in my room, textbooks covered my bed. I shoved the books onto the floor with a loud thud, and yanked my sketchbook and pen from the dresser and began to sketch. The monster flooded the page with furious strokes of ink, my hands formed the master that seemed so real only moments ago. Then I penned the dark boy, paying close attention to his feathery wings and vibrant eyes. 
When I was finished, I wiped the sweat from my brow and flipped the book shut. I shut off the light, flooding the room with shadows, and fell onto my bed. Sighing, I shut my eyes and slept deeply; I was too exhausted from my near death encounter to hope the dream wouldn't come back when I closed my lids. 
What I never knew was that as I slept, shadows crept into my room, long and spindly things settled around the corners of my walls, watching me sleep. 

Tell me anything that may be unclear, or needs some work. Thanks!!
(I may have fitted some of my own style into Toby and Jasper haha).

The school days melted together like a candle. Day after day, subject after subject; I found a new sense of motivation. It may have been the shadowy dreams -scaring me into working- whatever it was, it seemed to make my grades rise. Almost every night, like clockwork, the same dream would haunt me, tormenting me with their gnashing teeth and grotesque flesh. The gorgeous boy was always there, analyzing my every move until it was his time to strike. You'd think by now that this nightmare would cease to scare me; but every time I jolted myself awake, I trembled with terror. The silence after the dream was the worst. Hauntingly quiet. And even so, every night this occurred the sketchbook mechanically formed in my hands and my fingers set to work their horror. My book's pages were eventually filled with the same ugly creature and the same beautiful boy. My mind was working on overdrive.  It was tiring, assignments piled high, the wonder each night whether or not these monsters shall pay me another painful visit. The shadows continued to study me in the night, covering my dreams with their haunted presence.  My inspiration started to waver after about a month. Then I met him. 

I was out of school late due to test corrections on an English assessment I bombed, and when my ticket out the door was finally waving in my face, I rushed out of the office building. As I approached my battered car, he was casually leaning against the hood of the also beat up Civic next to my Corolla, gazing into some far off land in his mind. I looked around and noticed there were only staff cars in the parking lot. Practically empty. His legs were conveniently sprawled out enough to where I couldn't get into my own car. When I shuffled to a halt, his head shifted to my face. 
Looking at me head on, I was baffled at his apparent beauty. Spiky black hair covered his face and neck; and when the sun peeked out from the gloom, it shone. He was wearing a dark purple beanie that matched his black Rise Against T-shirt.
No. Way. This is not happening.  When I saw his eyes, they held a magnetic quality - I couldn't look away - they were a deep hazel burning against raven black. Something about him held a certain familiarity, but I couldn't grasp it. 
God, I probably look like a deer trapped in headlights. 
   "Can I help you?" the boy asked when my staring lingered. He flashed me a devilish smile, a brilliant grin that made my vision blur. 
Okay, enough freaking out. Either scare him away with your ogling, or scare him with whatever you attempt to say. 
I managed to compose myself for the moment. I gestured to my car. 
   "Actually, I'd love to drive out of here, but as you can see, your legs are blocking my sweet freedom."
The boy grinned. Again. "Why so rude? A simple 'excuse me' might suffice."
I snorted. "Kinda hard to be nice when a complete stranger is standing in front of your car."
Well, so much for this guy. You've definitely blown him off now. Attitude: 1 Toby: 0. 
He examined my outfit before scooting out of my way. But I didn't start for my car door. 
   "Hey, 'complete stranger'? I'll have you know that I actually attend this school," He nodded his head in my direction,     "Jasper. And you are..?"
I stood there frozen. How come I always manage to screw up any form of social connection? I see a pattern forming. 
  "Uh, your line is: 'Why hello good sir, my name is ...'" Jasper yell-whispered at me.
   "Sorry. I'm Toby." I looked down at my muddy Docs, feeling like a complete idiot. Jasper studied my expression but then chucked to himself. His warm eyes lit up with amusement. 
   "First name basis, huh? Now were getting somewhere." 
Warmth flooded my cheeks unannounced, burning my pale skin to an overly-confident rosy hue. I looked up at him, smiling slightly to hide my blush, and said steadily, 
   "Whoa there, we just met mister; don't get any ideas. And if you go to this lovely high school, how come I never see you at lunch, or in classes?"
He thought for a moment before narrowing his eyes. 
   "You tend to be in your own world from what I've seen, you're not as social" - he said the word quietly -"as you think. I'm here almost every day, you're just not as observant as you want to be," He challenged. 
   "And how will I know that you will clearly be present tomorrow?" My tone was a little too eager.
   "A man's word?"
I snorted again. "Like that's enough." 
He laughed before slipping a backpack -which I just noticed- from his shoulder and pulled out a strip of paper. He also gripped a pen and scribbled something onto it. He grabbed my free hand and closed my fingers around the paper. Jasper's skin was cold -not vampiric, for I've read too many series to know- just a little chilly. But as his hand remained on mine, I could feel the warmth his skin brought mine. When I gripped the paper in my fingers, his hand lingered on mine for a moment longer before returning to his side. 
"Hope that's enough. If I'm not here tomorrow, give it a ring. Happy?" His expression was playful.
"Indeed, my good sir," I concluded, "tomorrow then?"
Jasper nodded before unlocking the Civic next to me and starting the engine. He smiled and girlishly waved before pulling out from the spot and driving away. 
Whoa. A guy just completely had a conversation with me that didn't end in screaming and running away. Was he flirting, too? I laughed by myself, floating on a happy high. I opened my palm to reveal the shred of paper he'd given me, his phone number written in messy numbers, along with his full name Jasper Hayes. Cute. 
I mean, the chances of me, Toby Haight, ending up with a deliciously out-of-reach boy like Jasper is so unlikely. But, the chase is fun sometimes. 
But another thought entered my head: Why was he here lounging by my car when the rest of the school students left? Was he waiting for me all this time? I tried to shrug it off, but they kept filling my mind. Maybe he was in detention or something, and like he said, I wasn't paying enough attention to notice him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting home late, Kelsee was already upstairs so I fixed some microwaveable leftovers, inhaled those, and went to my room. I was still on my little happy boy cloud, so I showered slowly, relishing the hot steamy water, and went to bed. Homework seems like a horrible idea, so instead I pulled out my sketchbook and found myself drawing Jasper. I sketched his messy black hair, his wonderful eyes, that dizzy smile. I probably fell asleep with a smile on my face, my book still in my lap. Maybe I'm crazy, but at least Jasper doesn't get to see my sketchbook and find his face drawn in it. Hey, give a girl a break, some cute guy notices her for once. It's better than finding out where he lives and breathing at his bedroom window while he slept. 
For the first time in a month, the repetitive nightmare didn't filter into my joyous haze. In fact I didn't dream at all, just a serene quiet the entire night. The shadows, too, left me be as long as my eyelids were closed. 
And at that moment when I awoke in the morning, the overcast's white spilling in through the shades, I realized how much better I felt. The dream often left me exhausted mentally, which prevented me from getting any actual work done. A good night's sleep can do wonders. And it was all because of Jasper and his sudden interest in me. Or, at least I thought it was. 

I don't know if this story will get reviewed, but it's still been fun writing this. 

That morning, I was so relieved of my dreamless sleep that I was full of energy; zipping through the kitchen and out the door in less than twenty minutes. Kelsee had already left for work downtown, she's either to work really early, or home really late. Her boss at the art store has never given her a happy medium after her year of working there. It's where most of my supplies come from, half price. Driving to school, I almost smiled at the gloomy sky. Smiled.  

I'd even gotten into the mood to listen to some Hayley Williams, enjoying her bubbly new album on the wet drive to school. A decent sleep and a fresh new boy did wonders on my mood. Let's just hope Jasper isn't leading me on. 

When I arrived in the parking lot, I looked at the clock in my car to realize I was ridiculously early; never realizing the time before I breezed out the door. I decided to turn my music up loud and draw in the car until other students pulled in. My car was running in a white-lined parking spot while I drew, outlining a girl with wildflowers in her hair. Beautiful blues lined the girl's pale cheeks, her dark hair streaming over her shoulders. Engrossed in inking my artwork, I didn't realize the light rap on my window until it developed into a sudden pounding that was louder than my speaker's blare. My head shot up to see Jasper, standing by my car door. Eyes widened, I quickly turned down my music shut off the car. I looked around me to realize that the parking lot was filling up. Embarrassed, I shoved my book into my bag and got out of the car. A light drizzle drummed against my hair, the top of my head sprinkled in an inky black. 
   "Nice drawing. I've never seen someone use markers like that." Jasper commented, smiling as I got out of the car. 
   "Thanks. I was using Prismacolors. Umm, how long have you been standing out here for?" My cheeks flushed with worry. My no-one-sees-me-drawing rule rang in my head like a banner. 

"Oh, only a few minutes," He started, "I was going to knock sooner, but you seemed pretty deep into your artwork; so I watched."
I smiled shyly, and began walking to the school entrance, hoping that my hair didn't look like the wet mop it felt like. Jasper followed close behind. Looking back at him, his hair was wild, black bangs partially covering his vivid hazel eyes. He had on a pair of distressed jeans, and was wearing a loose-fitting sweatshirt.  
   "I've seen you in Art Two before, but you never engage in class," He commented hesitantly, "I mean, I've never seen your work until now." 
Great. Have I really been so preoccupied to not notice this wonderful boy in my favorite class? Wow. Jasper must have noticed my internal conflict. 
   "I enrolled in Art Two along with other general classes two weeks ago. Moved here during the summer from Washington, my parents decided starting a new school would improve my academic performance." 
Oh. So at least he wasn't there to witness my encounter with Ms. Peterson at the beginning of the month. 
   "Interesting. So, new student, shall I see you in Art, or will you disappear?" My tone was surprisingly flirty. 
   "Believe me, I'll be there." He opened the door for me when we stood at the front office, and he waved goodbye as I headed to the library for first period. Glancing back to see which class he'd went into, he was gone. Must be pretty fast.

I sat in a scratched-up chair in the corner of the library, and pretended not to draw while I wondered where Jasper might had wondered off to. Cautiously looking around the room for supervisors, I pulled out my phone and texted him quietly.

Toby: Where'd you run off to?

Seconds later. 

Jasper: Glad you remembered my number. Studying in the quad. 
Toby: Isn't study hall in the library, new kid?
Jasper: Shhh. 
Jasper: Don't get caught. See you in art :)

I turned off my phone, glad that no teacher saw me glued to the screen underneath the desk. Hmm, a new student who breaks rules? Very predictable. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I managed to finish one assignment during that hour, mainly doodling thorns all across the cover of my sketchbook. As I headed to Art, I sat in my usual no-social-connection-required seat in the back row. Remembering our current oil project, I went to the supply area in the back and pulled out my partially completed panting and sat back down. Ms. Peterson was sitting at her desk, grading what looked like - notes? - while waiting for the tardy students to show up. Hmm. I pulled out my oil brushes from home - students tend to abuse school supplies - and prepped my table for when the entitled students got here. I had previously painted out the water-based negative space on the worn canvas, and started sketching out a bruised skull with snakes coming out of the eye sockets in the center. My phone vibrated in my pocket. I glanced at the screen from under the table.

Jasper: Look to your right. 

Obediently answering his command, I saw him sitting a whole table away form me, a goofy grin on his face. I laughed. All this time he was this far away? Jasper got up and sat down next to me.
   "See? What'd I tell you? Been here this whole time," He prodded my shoulder, then examined my painting. He took his finger and traced the shape of the skull, the eyes of the cobras slithering from the eyes. 
   "Wow." All he said. I pointed to his side of the table.
   "Where's your canvas? You are attending Art, after all." 
From the backpack slung on his chair came a small canvas, and he set it on the table. I stared at the artwork, dumbfounded. The painting was an oil of a wilted rose, the thorns were long and sharp, while sunken faces adorned the faded background with grim expressions. This is beautiful. Does this boy use art to cope with life's tortures like I do? It can't be true. 
   "I know, pretty deep isn't it? All that's left to do is add the finishing details, then voila!" He then leaned in close to me, his face barely inches from mine.
   "Shh, I might have been working on it at home, it;'s easier to paint there," he whispered in my ear. My heart ached. I cannot fall for Jasper. He's just a dream, too good to happen, even for me. I stiffened at the harsh reality. 
He looked at my stillness, and pulled away slowly, slightly confused. I regained self-possession, smiling at him. 
   "Your painting is absolutely amazing. You'll have to teach me to paint work like that." 
Jasper opened his lips to reply, but the incredibly late students filed in as if nothing was wrong and took their seats accordingly, causing the lesson to begin. 
We painted side by side, I filled in the skull and its' purplish shadows, while Jasper accented the thorns and painted the background faces lifeless and tired-looking. It was the most blissful art period I'd had in a long while. I closed my eyes for a moment, wishing this class could last longer, waiting to wake up from this dream and go back to my apathetic reality. Jasper, always observant it appears, noticed my contained silence and also stopped painting. 
   "Are you okay?" His voice was tinged with concern, concern for someone he barely knows. Ugh. I shook my head, and opened my eyes. His face was glued to mine. I nodded slowly, but he didn't seem entirely convinced. Shrugging, he returned to his canvas. 
Just let me wake up already, I pleaded, I've had my fun, now it's time to return to the real world. Break me clean. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After my elated art session, the remaining classes until lunch were passed by quickly and happily. I even managed to answer a few questions out loud from time to time, gaining the confused glances from my teachers. It felt foreign, this raw, untamed joy that slithered up my back and burrowed into my heart. It controlled me, claiming me as it's own. But it felt good. Maybe Jasper and this happiness is a good thing after all, or I've been reading too romance novels to tell. 
At lunch, I sat in my safe spot in the corner of the huge cafeteria, and unwrapped the spring rolls I'd made yesterday. Dipping one in peanut sauce, I nibbled on the rice paper and shrimp, savoring each minty bite. Jasper called my name from across the room, pulling a few heads in my direction. I blushed at the attention and waved him over to my empty table. He quickly came over and sat, giving me one of those dazzling smiles. Instead of drawing the lunch period away, which I usually find myself doing, I actually engaged in a natural human occurrence: conversation.  Jasper and I talked for what seemed like ages, which fit perfectly into our forty minute lunch period. He sneakily stole one of my rolls, commenting that he forgot to get something for lunch. Whatever. Smiling, he took a bite and complimented my apparent cooking. We talked about art at first, our experience levels and our favorite artists; then merging onto music, finding out that we both have the same taste. Not surprised. We laughed about the childhood dream of becoming a musician, realizing that heavy metal and thrash bands don't last very long, vocally and generationally. It turns out that Jasper has the same exact Selfish Machines T-shirt that I have in my closet, and we decided to wear them on Monday to confirm whether or not we were both bluffing. My apparent joy spread across my face with every topic, truly realizing that Jasper is basically a boy-version of myself. I kept batting away the little hints that this is too good to be real. Good things only happen to good people, right? The only thing that told us apart was that he didn't take art as seriously as I did. I hesitantly told him about my dream of attending an art university, and my portfolio. 
   "You should go along with it," Jasper said encouragingly,       "Assuming that I don't give you up." His lips twitched up into a warm smile. Heat spread across my face. 
   "You know, you're really...friendly. Do you get that a lot? I mean, no one just walks up to some strange girl and begins talking like best friends."
Jasper stared at me, his vibrant eyes burning. He thought for a moment, fidgeting with the buttons pinned on his backpack. His eyes moved from my face to his bag, carefully concealing something behind those green irises. When he looked down, thick lashes shielded his dark eyes. Beautiful. Jasper suddenly looked up from his bag, 
   "You think you're strange?" His voice was velvet, yet held a hint of amusement as he spoke. When he looked at me now, I forgot where I was; lost in the liquid gold of his eyes. 
I shifted uncomfortably. "Sometimes. But you didn't answer my question."
He continued to look at me strangely, his eyes darkening to a deep hazel. There was a war behind them. 
His voice was cold, hard. "You are not strange, Toby. You're worth more than being defined as that."
The seriousness in his tone rippled off his tongue and smacked me in the face. How can he be so intensely considerate? I'm used to funny, all-smiles Jasper, so when this rigid, grim Jasper looked me in the eyes and told me that I was more than what I claimed to be, it was hard to take in. 
Jasper, studying my expression as well, blinked a few times before saying calmly, "Sorry. And no, I'm not always friendly. Big shocker, I know. I just figured that a little kindness and sincerity would help a guy out." He smiled his warm smile, and then raised his eyebrows up and down mischievously. 
I, like the ditzy broad that I am, blushed again at his blunt attempts at flirtation. He squinted at me, his eyebrows scrunched together while his long eyelashes covered his eyes. 
   "You do that a lot."
I tried to smile. "I guess you can see why."
He continued to stare, probably having a mental discussion. What I'd give to see what's in that head of yours. 
He shrugged, and then gestured to himself. "Hah. I mean, can you help it?" I burst out laughing, drawing the attention of a few onlookers. Eh. 
  "I don't know. My self-control is pretty slim." I teased. 
  "We'll see about that." He attempted the most seductive look, being a complete fool. I erupted in giggles. 

His job was complete. 

This chapters' really long, I was trying to cram a ton of information in one chapter. Sorry about all of the band references and artistic language, just means that a little Googling would do you some good if you don't know what the terms are. Enjoy, ~Correspondence

When I got home that night, Kelsee was already pulled into the driveway and - from what it smelled like when I entered the house - was making dinner. I was still exuding glee from my wonderful day with Jasper. Kelsee must have seen the smile stuck on usual on my frown face.

"You seem really happy today," she claimed while chopping carrots to throw into what smelled like chicken soup coming from the burning stove pot. Lots of chicken in this house. 
Come to think of it, it is definitely a plus to be this happy all the time; not only is all of my work getting done, but it also lightens everyone else's mood. It must make my mom even happier to see me this optimistic. All around good times. 
I set my bag by the stairs before setting out bowls and silverware. "Thanks. I met this boy the other day." Red flags waved over Kelsee's head. She looked up from her chopping board warily, trying to maintain a playful smile. "Oh, so the only reason you're happy is because of some boy? I need to learn to parent better." I assumed was the thought in her mind.  
   "Is that so? Who is this guy? Does he go to school with you?" The questions were piled high and I had to remember that this is my mom, not some teenage girl dying for gossip. 
   "His name's Jasper. He just enrolled from Washington. We hit it off pretty well." I tried to keep his information as brief as possible, which may result in an even heavier interrogation. 
She smiled my way. "Well, I won't pressure you into anything, but I'm glad this, Jasper boy has made you so wonderful to be around." I tried not to wince at the last comment. Was I difficult to tolerate before I met him?

Ignoring her sudden criticism on my "bummer" attitude, I set the table and waited at the island for Kelsee to finish plopping carrots into the boiling pot. 
When we sat and started to eat dinner, she fired another question at me from across the table, breaking the blissful quiet. 
   "Are you and this boy together? Do not keep secrets from me, Toby. Are you being safe?"

My face flushed crimson, the worst blush I've had all day. I wish. If only he wasn't so wonderfully good, maybe it would work out. I mean, when life gives you something this blessed, you might as well take it with open arms. 
Kelsee saw my face getting hot and her eyebrows furrowed. I started, "N-no mom. It's not like that. We're just friends, but he's very friendly." The words spilled out of my mouth so quickly I was afraid that my tongue and all it's counterparts were going to fall out too. 
I took a nervous spoonful of the soup. She eyed me from my seat at the table. Her lips were set in a hard line, serious. 
   "Alright. I'm really hoping that Jasper isn't overly friendly. You would tell me otherwise, missy?" Kelsee always reminds me of an older sister, not a hard-edged mother. 
I smiled at her concern. "Of course, mom." I busied myself with finishing dinner, enjoying the silence that followed. 

Getting into bed, I lay in my cold sheets thinking about Jasper. If I wasn't so interested in him, maybe I'd scared him off by now. With my string of luck, my phone buzzed. 

Jasper: Goodnight, Toby. See you on Monday.

Huh.

I fell asleep that night hoping that these past two days weren't a figment of my active imagination, and that Jasper isn't some charmer, waiting for the right moment to pull off this enchanting mask and reveal his darker colors. But what if his dark side is what I loved most? I felt alive when he looked at me coldly today, like I'd dunked my head in ice water, fresh reality. It was strange to see both sides of someone and still want them for who they are. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke to the cloudy morning's bright light stinging my eyes as I opened them. Even if we had better window shades, you can't block out the blinding overcast each morning; unless it's dark and stormy, you're out of luck. 
On the weekends I usually help Kelsee with her job at the art store, but today she was up earlier than I and left the house unexpectedly. When I went downstairs, she was gone. She left me a  text saying that they needed her earlier than normal today and maybe tomorrow I could help. On my own today. 
As much as my desire to be with Jasper overpowered all else, I decided than some alone time was necessary to survive the day. After eating breakfast and straightening up around the house, I went into our small garage and prepped to paint. I usually don't paint in my spare time since it takes forever, but what the hell?
I decided on using a smaller portrait canvas and my pastel pigmented acrylics. Blasting my music from a speaker, I danced around foolishly while I slashed paint onto the dark canvas. Layer after layer, I realized about an hour later what I'd painted. It was the monster from my dream, probably dead and covered in red, with Jasper emerging out of it. I can't help myself. He is my issue. 
Maybe I need to have more alone time. Or get out.
Letting my teenage angst painting dry on my easel, I changed out of my paint-stained clothes and into some torn jeans and a dark green sweater. I brushed out my long dark hair and pulled a black beanie on, hoping it would hide the bed head. I grabbed my keys and headed outside to my car. Might as well get outside if it isn't pouring rain; gotta make the most of your time in this dreary town. I turned off my street and drove deep into the woods, following my bright headlights in the dark forest. When I found a suitable place to park, I pulled out my keys and grabbed my bag. I'd probably driven too far into the woods, but hey, I've got pepper spray galore. 
I walked for what felt like forever until I settled on a mossy log that was moderately dry. Legs aching, I plopped myself down and stared out into the trees. For miles, stretches of dark green trees covered the earth and wound their way up into the dark sky. Everything was green. It was beautiful and overwhelming at the same time. Inspiration struck at that moment. I pulled out my sketchbook from my bag - when is it never it my bag - and started penciling out the hard lines of the trees. I sat contently and drew, lost in my work. I didn't realize how late it had gotten until the air around me darkened as the sun settled on the horizon. I looked at my phone. 5:23 pm. Oops. Too late. I put my stuff away quickly and hopped off the now-wet log, and tried to find my way back to my car. Using my phone's flashlight I wandered aimlessly in the dark, hoping there weren't too many bears around here. But what I saw wasn't a bear. With my light shining in front of me, a big creature slithered around the trees like a shadow. It creeped past the bushes and when I fearfully exposed it with my light, it shone silver. No face, no eyes; just a hulking mass of black. It spun around and hissed at me, not fully human or animal. Hunched over, it gathered closer, breathing heavily.

Worry lurching up my throat, I tried to walk around it, assuming it really was a shadow, but it reached for my ankles and dug its long fingers around my calf. I yelped in pain and shook the thing off, but it wouldn't budge. I cried out, staggering around on one leg, until I got some sense and slammed my bag onto it's gross head. Finally it released me. Sighing, I sprinted with unknown force into the parking lot where my car lay like a knight in armor, and hopped in. Tears sprung at my eyes and I wiped them away. What was that? 

Driving away I tried not to think about it, but the shadow creature kept springing in my mind. Pulling out of the dusty parking lot, I sped down the narrow road, until something crashed against my dark windshield. My tires screeched as I spun, staring horrified at the thick shadow creature that clung to my car. It thrashed against the glass, clawing it's bony fingers against the pane, causing tiny cracks to form. I skidded to a halt, and the monster spun across the windshield and landed on my passenger door. It started smashing it's hands against the door, crushing the side like a cheap aluminum toy. I screamed, a pitiful sound, as I huddled on my side of the car, pressing myself as close as I could. The creature found the door open with little difficulty, and sprang into the seat. A low snarl rumbled from deep within its throat. 

I thought I was going to faint as my vision blurred and my hands trembled in front of me. Something loud thudded against the roof of my car  and hopped off the top of the bruised vehicle. The figure reached into my open car and yanked the shadow out, crushing it tightly in its hands. When I looked closer, I realized it was Jasper. Now how did you get here? When my breathing slowed, I watched him destroy the monster with strong hands, and he peered inside my car to see if was dead. Yet. 
His eyes were dark, and his hair clung to his cheeks. Reaching in, he grabbed my hand in the darkness of the car and pulled me out gently. With surprising strength, he yanked me out and I was on my feet and clutching the hem of his shirt, shuddering with fear. 
   "Are you alright?" He whispered into my hair, as I dug my face into his chest. He held me there, waiting patiently for an answer.
   "What was that?" I said shakily, my voice muffled from deep within the folds of his T-shirt. 
Jasper gathered my long hair to one side of my face, his fingers brushing my temples. "I don't know. I'm just glad I got here in time."
   "How did you know where I was, Jasper?" I savored the warmth of his skin as he hugged me close. 
   "You called me. Don't you remember?" I pulled away slowly, trying to think of when my shaky fingers could've dialed his number. I turned around to see my phone on the console, his number was still dialed there, silently collecting the minutes I'd been on the phone. Huh. Guess I did. 
I turned away from my beaten car and hugged him again. 
   "Thank you. So much," I mumbled against him. 
His tone was serious. "Please be careful, Toby. I don't know whatever the hell that thing was, but it definitely didn't like you. What are you even doing out here anyway?"
   "I was drawing in the woods, and lost track of time," I said shakily. 
   "Well, be more careful." He muttered, his face pressed against my hair. If I wasn't so engulfed in terror right about now, I'd be relishing in this moment. We stood there for a few moments more until he unwrapped his arms from my back and gestured to my Corolla. 
   "Better get home. Should I drive?" He smiled now, my only sense of relief. 
   "Where's your car?"
   "I live close by." He ushered me into the passenger seat, and he took the driver's side. I couldn't imagine Jasper living somewhere infested with those monsters. 
We drove in silence, mainly because I was suffering from post-trauma and he couldn't think of anything to say. I watched him drive, the way his hands clutched the steering wheel, how his hazel eyes were so intently focused on the winding road. Jasper pulled up to my house, and parked my car. We sat there for a second, trying to believe everything that just happened. He turned his attention to me and smiled. 
   "See you Monday," He leaned towards me slowly, his face inches from mine, "Be safe. For me." His cool breath blew in my face, a blissful wind. I smiled back, nodding. 
He handed me the keys and he got out and walked away. I couldn't pay attention to his tall figure casually walking into the woods, I was too focused on my near-death encounter and Jasper's arms wrapped around me protectively like a guardian in disguise. It was overpowering. 

When I unlocked the front door, it was pretty late and Kelsee was sitting at the dinner table, waiting for me. No food was set out, so she'd already eaten and was waiting to chastise me. Her face was expressionless, but when I walked in, it flooded with worry.
   "Where. Have. You. Been?," She hissed, "I was worried when you didn't text me back, Toby," Her voice was desperate. Just to clarify, my curfew isn't until two hours from now, so I'm fine. No need to nag me about it. 
The words came out shakily, "I was out drawing in the woods, but I lost track of time." Kelsee huffed, and gestured for me to go, muttering something about time as I walked by. Let's just hope she doesn't see the cracks in my window and the dent in the side door. Hah. 
I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow, and slept deeply. Luckily the dreams didn't haunt me, and I could get some deserved rest. All I could think about was Jasper crushing the shadow monster and his hard eyes watching me carefully.