A Heartbreak Away | Teen Ink

A Heartbreak Away

March 20, 2017
By Riley_Rose SILVER, Danboro, Pennsylvania
More by this author
Riley_Rose SILVER, Danboro, Pennsylvania
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love is when you can get that feeling for someone, and you've never had it before- butterflies in your stomach, you feel super comfortable around that person."- Niall Horan


I could tell something was off.  There were no lights on downstairs just the gentle warm air from the fireplace.  She sat there, with a white mug in her hands as she starred off into the fire as if it was almost like a show that was performing just for her.  Her lose gentle blond curls took over most of her face.  The fading ink on the back of her neck slowly seeming in to her warm skin that crawl for just one touch.  The s***e mug she held was filled with a warm drink to keep her warm inside for yet she felt so cold in this world.  The breaths she took filled the air with a scent I can never forget.  She turned her head slowly as I walked to the end of the remaining stairs.  There were the blue eyes that I felt myself get lost in every time I looked in them.  A smile that can light up the world was on her face as she placed he mug down and walked over to me. 
“Luke?” She spoke so softly and almost like an angel sent from the heavens. 
“Hello Elizabeth” She looked down towards the floor as she looked up once more at me. 
“It’s really you, I thought you left.”
“I forgot something behind” I spoke to her as my eyes never left hers.
“And what is that?”
“You my dear.” Elizabeth’s eyes grew the size of the city.  Behind those hazel eyes held the memories shared between us.  The moment we read a novella under the old willow tree together, the moment were on the first date it started to rain and we danced like was never going to stop, or the moment we both went different ways.  That moment is forever marked as a haunt.  It was like a blink of an eye we said goodbye together and never really spoke to each other again.  I blamed myself over and over for this mistake that I once made with a second thought.  I thought there was so much in the world that it was hard for me to be down when my life was just starting.  I remember that night.

We both got in the car, Riley laughing at something but then there is me.  The car turned off with my head on the wheel.  She stopped laughing for a minute to look at me.  I started to feel this wetness on my face before I knew it I was crying. 
“Sweetheart what’s wrong?” She spoke to me as a hand was on my shoulder.
“Elizabeth, I never I said many of times before-“ I stopped myself, turned towards her and grabbed her hands. 
“Elizabeth, I think it is for the best if we end this thing between us.” She dropped her hands from mine as a single tear rolled its way down her face. 
“Say you kidding, say you’re lying, anything.”
“My dear I wish this was fake and a joke but it isn’t.  I’m so sorry Elizabeth”
“I understand Luke just know it’s been a great five years with you.”
A final kiss seal the story book shut between us.  We never spoke until then, until that moment I was in the house we bought together.  Boxes and boxes scattered the halls and door ways.  I walked as if I was drugged or something.  I looked I to the office.  The pictures of us were still there.  The happy couple that was once trapped inside a glass door was broken free. Next was the bedroom, the side I use to lay my head on was no longer there.  The closet that I kept everything, secrets, books, gifts and even once a ring.  But not any old ring, A ring that would promise our love together.  As I looked in the closet something stuck out of a little tiny hole. It was a piece of paper with a pink ribbon around it.  I opened the letter with my gentle hands as if it was a piece of history.  The handwriting looked to be Elizabeth’s.  As I read I hear her voice be the echo.
“Dearest Luke,
There is some much I want to tell you right now but I am afraid that I cannot bring myself to speak these words I am so desire to.  The love between us is like a flower, soft and gentle but one wrong move the flower dies.  I do not want this flower that we hold in us to die or damaged.  My past said enough about me.  You know what happened with the mistake that I fell madly in love with.  I am trying my best to think of a brighter side towards this, I don’t need him in my life, he only makes a girl upset and cannot treat a girl like a princess should be treated.  He told me I am one over and over in time but I felt as if the clocks broke leaving time running away.  I chased time for many years and the outcome ended me in hurt.  Kian I beg of you please don’t be like my other one.  I promise I am better now and I am sure I really don’t want you to leave me.
Xx,
Elizabeth”
I put the note besides me and cried in my hands.  Not for the emotions but for a broken heart that I was feeling.  There was something that was special deep within Elizabeth.  Behind all the tears, she was a warrior in her own mind a person always in war with herself.  She always wanted to be this person that came out to the top but she felt she wasn’t the girl for the job.  But to me she was my everything,  She was the girl that never failed to bring a warm ray of sunshine into my world.  She was the girl that brought so much joy to me in my life.  But mostly she was the girl I had fallen in love with.  The girl with so many flaws that I found to be amazing.  I found everything inside of her to be amazing, she was the reason behind my smile every day.  I would find myself thinking about her and at the end of the day rushing home to get to hold her in my arms and never letting her go.  I lifted my head from my hands.  I saw a bag that was in the corner of the room.  I slowly rose up from the bed and walked over to the bag. 
“Happy birthday my love xx”
My birthday had pasted and something was off.  In the bag was a picture frame of us.  All five years that we spent together, all five years that we loved each other, all five year we could not stand one night alone from each other, in those five years both of us shared tears, laughs, hugs, cuddles anything.  We spent most of it together.  There was a saying at the bottom of the picture frame
“You raise me up”
It was our song that we held together.  The song that we both looked at each other and knew what was happening with in a single second.  Like a snap of someone fingers we were the couple everyone thought were not going to last.  Everyone had their doubts in us. But we made it. But there were still the people that thought that we could never be this way no matter how hard we tried.  I slowly back my hand away from the gift and slowly rise to the height I was meant to be at.  I slowly walked down the halls my hand running against the paint to touch the memories and try to grasp them once more.  I walked down the stairs and there she stood.  The island of the kitchen covered in boxes and bags.  I slowly walked over to her and rested my sore hand on her shoulder. She turned slightly to notice it was me.
“Luke? May I ask a question?” She spoke with a gentle tone in her voice. 
“Anything you wish my dear.” I answered her almost too soon.  I felt her take a deep breath as if it was hard for her to ask me.
“Did you ever love me?” That question alone stung like a million tiny needles poking at me. 
“Why of course I did, Elizabeth what changed between us?” I felt her take deep breath as she spoke with a forced tone of voice fearing that she might break down.
“Maybe the fact that the spark inside of us died, or the fact that the love we once shared for each other died and was no longer there.  Or just maybe the gods above did not want us together anymore.”

She spoke with a fear that came true.
“One more question Luke, and you may leave if you so wish.”
“What’s that my dear?”
“Was there a thought you held on to of leaving earlier?” At this time I spun her around so she was facing me. 
“Elizabeth, I was more scared that you were going to leave me rather than me leaving you. I was fearing this emotion for the longest time.  You don’t understand how much this is hurting me as well as you.” I cupped her face with my hands and pulled her close.
“If anything I was fearing I would not be able to proudly say ‘that’s my girlfriend’ when guys starred at you it made me feel like the worse because I did not stand up for you.  That time a guy hit on you, I could not think straight for the next week or month.  I felt like I was the worse at being called your boyfriend.  Now I earned the title of your ex-boyfriend.” I felt a stab like feeling in my heart and I drew one hand over to where my heart is and grasped it.  My face was sealed with the feeling of relief.  But my heart was broken in two.  For me, I never knew if I can fully love a girl again like I did with Elizabeth she meant so much to me.  My heart ached for her and only her.  I lost her from my dumb mistakes.
“Luke?”
“Yes my love?”
“This is a dream you know. When you wake up it is altogether different.”  My eyes grew wide at this point. 
“Love what do you mean?”
“I mean this is a dream something from your nightmares.”
I stepped backwards in shock.  Everything around me started to fade away and grow colorless.  Elizabeth starred at me while the darkness slowly creeped up her leg.  I woke up to a room with no color.  I rose up from the bed with just sweatpants and socks on.  I climbed out of bed and opened my door.  I noticed glass in the hallways from  picture frame that broke.  I bent down to pick up the broke frame to release it from my grip.  It was a picture of Elizabeth and I.  The picture was ripped in two halves with a black marker all over my face.  I raced down the halls to try and try to find her but every room was empty, the basement, library, office everything was empty.  She was gone.  I raced back to my room and grabbed my phone.  I unlocked the screen to notice every picture I had of her and I was deleted.  My Instagram was deleted, there was no trace of her in my life anymore.  I quickly went to her account but she blocked me from seeing what was happening.  I felt trapped in my own world I could not even get out of it.  The world to me felt like a snow globe, cold and flakes falling on you.  Only mine was made out of regrets and faults.  I had no trace where she went nothing.   My lonely fingers grazed over my face.  It was cold to the touch and red from the tears that I shed.  I noticed that my life now has become a huge nightmare for me.  My whole life felt like it was glass set in the hands of a poor man.  I leaned up against the wall and sunk to my knees.  There was a tower of boxes that covered me and mocked my sadness.  I heard rain smacking the roof as they fell.  I jumped up and ran towards the stairs.  My phone dropped in the process where I did not bother to grab anything not even a pair of shoes.  I ran out into the street that was bright from the street lamps.  Rain was pouring down.  I looked up to the sky and felt something rip throughout my body as if it wanted to be heard. A scream but no not like any old scream, it was a scream where you realize you just lost the person you loved near and dear to your heart.  A scream that made the whole earth shake to the ground.  A fell to the cold hard ground and landed in a puddle that was overflowing with my tears. 
“I lost her, can anyone help me find my love?” I whispered softly to myself.
“You lost the one you love?” A woman’s voice came from somewhere.

“Who are you please I do not mean any harm at all I just need help finding her.” I spoke to the dark shadow.  Only it was not a woman’s voice I heard for it was a man. 
“Young lad I may be able to help you.”
“You know who I lost? You know her.”
“Sadly, I do not but my words might help you.”
“How can they help me when the one who I need the most left?”
“I do not have the answer for that but know this.  Young love is a sin, you either love each other to the point where you would do anything for them or you hate each other.  You might feel loved but she might not.  There is a great divide against that.”  I found myself crying once more at the man’s words.  I felt a sharp pain in my chest where my heart is.  It no longer as beating a way it would when I was in love, now it feels like it is just broken and my words came out like broken fragments of my soul speaking to me repeatedly.  I ran away from the man, I ran for Elizabeth, I ran for my family that I left just to have this life, I ran for my friends, I ran away from the broken person I left behind. 
“Son! Only a coward run away from their true self!” The man screamed at me hoping I would hear it and stop running.  But I kept going.  The girl I was so madly in love with was out in the world and I knew she was out here.  Her body being cold for I am not there to hug her back to warmth.  Her forehead cold as ice from the lack of kisses that were there.  Her hair dry and faded for nobody played with it.  Her hand colder than anything for there is no hand to keep it warm.  I remembered a fact about her.  She always wanted to explore the world on her own, THE AIRPORT! THAT IS WHERE MY ELIZABETH IS!  But as I was about to run back home I remembered that she even told me that she does not want to see me again.  The heartbreak is too much for her.  To most crying over a girl thing never happens to them.  But when it is a girl you are in love with you never stop crying.  Repeatedly you cry until there are no more tears that are left for you to shed.  You cry until you forget and forgetting is the worse part until someone new comes along and starts that feeling over again.  I start to walk home with the rain beating down on me.  I walked in my cold house without anyone there at the door to offer me anything.  I slowly realize that the girl I was so in love with is gone.  She is no longer mine anymore.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.