The Secret World of the American Vampire | Teen Ink

The Secret World of the American Vampire

By KiraMungai13, Johannesburg, Other
KiraMungai13, Johannesburg, Other

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." -Coco Chanel

Author's note: I decided to write this piece because I've always wanted my own slightly cliche vampire story. So I thought to myself "OMG! Just write one!" So I did.

A/N: This chapter is quite slow, but I promise the ending is a total 'Say What!' Moment. Read On y'all!

From his fragile human eyes I probably just looked like the average teenage girl, he probably thought I was easy jailbait. He put on a stupid grin and opened his mouth to talk. Ugh, he’s one of those men I thought to myself.
What happened to chivalry? I mean, I’d honestly rather be hunting in 1913 than 2013. I gazed at his neck and smelt the warm blood pulsing through his veins, and his mouth-watering heart beat, the steady thump that caused excess venom to form in my mouth. Oh, this is going to be so worth it.
“Hey,” he said.
“Hi,” I smiled. I put on my best man-eating smile.
“So can I buy you a drink, or somethin’ sweetheart?”
“No thanks, alcohol really isn’t my thing.”

He shrugged. From then on, I had to endure his constant self-relish, and for once I didn’t feel all that guilty that I was going to kill him soon. After thirty minutes of listening to him praise himself because of his incomprehensible arrogance he asked me.
“Wanna get out of here?”
I nodded. He hopped off the high bar stool and I slid off mine too. He then conspicuously slowly trailed his eyes up and down my body. He whistled and for some reason he thought that I found this flattering. He quickly chugged the remains of his beer and led me out of the bar.
We walked until I saw the lights of a motel. Yup, I was definitely just a conquest for him. I spotted a dark alley and my vampire vision told me it was empty. Perfect. The man was only a few paces ahead of me and in one bound I was in front of him.
“Hey babe,” he smiled. Idiot, I thought. He was nothing but a mere human. Easy prey.
I quickly aimed, and pushed him into the alley using my supernatural strength. I heard a loud bang from the impact, probably pushed him into some metal trashcans. I ran over deep into the alley to finish him off. There I found him, and he was out cold, but there was a gash on his cheek. I knelt down to where he had fallen; he stirred and made a strange moaning sound.
“Easy prey,” I said to myself this time.
My incisors then immediately detected the human blood from the cut and grew to become fangs. I open my mouth and brought his neck up to me. I pressed my teeth into his neck and I bit into his skin, puncturing the flesh with my fangs and ravenously drinking his blood.

§

“You, my dear are late,” Charlotte, chastised. “What was the hold up?”
“I told you guys I was going hunting,” I argued. She rolled her eyes.
“I doesn’t matter now mother and father await for you in the living room.”
I groaned. I walked down the hall of my family’s gothic styled mansion and turned to the living room. I lived in the most stereotypical vampire household. The primary colors in my house were black and red, and even if we lived in the twenty-first century. My parents still felt the nostalgia of the 19th century so the houses’ interior naturally had a Victorian ring to it. My father and mother were conversing in fluent Latin and when my mother spotted me she immediately stopped talking to my father.
“Elizabeth,” she sighed switching languages. “You are late.”
“I was hunting mother,” I countered, giving her the same reply as I’d given Charlotte.
“No matter, we have to talk to you,” my father said. “Sit,” he ordered.
I rested on a sturdy armchair and faced my parents.
“Elizabeth you have reached maturity. So your father and I were concerned about your romantic well being,” she began. Ugh, not this conversation again.
“Mother,” I complained. “I do not wish to seek a companion I am happy as I am.”
“But Elizabeth you are one hundred and twenty-six years-old. Do you want to spend the rest of your life as a… spinster?” he said. Wow, dad you’re really playing the spinster card. Nice father, just great.
“Dad, I don’t want to get married. Half of the ‘respected’ vampires Lords are total assholes that are having constant flings with humans, which is in fact a serious taboo and are cheating on their wives. I really don’t see the personal appeal,” I rambled crossing my arms in annoyance.
“Elizabeth, it is time. Besides we are getting some suitors and most importantly their families. Your father and I recently went to the imperial ball, the one that was thrown by the Lancaster’s—,” she began.
“The Lancaster’s they’re a generally powerful family, and they are very rich but I think that would make the guys really snobby.” My mother looked at me. Oops I’d interrupted her. “Sorry mother.”
“Thank you, anyway I was speaking to Anne Lancaster. Her son Dane I think would be a fine companion for you,” she said.
“Dane Lancaster,” I said unsurely. “I don’t know.”
“Well, it does not matter because we have arranged a meeting for you two. We are going to hold a dance and there you are obligated to choose a husband whether it’s Dane or not,” my father said.
“Father!” I exclaimed. I opened my mouth to argue, but my mother beat me to it.
“Elizabeth it’s a done deal. You are going to the dance.”
“Or what,” I retorted.
My mother glared at me. I did the most immature thing and ran off into my room. I didn’t cry into my pillow or anything like that, but boy was I pissed off.
“Dum, dum, duh, dum,” Charlotte sang as she rudely barged into my room. I raised my head and snapped.
“Haven’t you ever heard of knocking?”
“No, but your getting married.”
“No, I’m not.” I sighed. Charlotte sat on my bed and patted my back.
“Why are you even making a big deal out of this? Just get married to a guy with a good family, make a couple pedigree babies and make mother and father happy.”
“Hey, you’re not the one to tell me to happily run off to the sunset with some vampire asslord. Why aren’t you married? You’re my big sister, why aren’t mother and father constantly on your case?”
Charlotte sighed.
“Well, I think that they just don’t want me to marry. It’s fine,” she said. But in her eyes I could see that see felt a bit bad because of that. Mother and father had just told Charlotte that she couldn’t marry. And she had just accepted it. I let go of the topic—it was too awkward. — Charlotte eventually left with one more reassuring pat on the back. I buried my face back into the pillows.

It was the night of the dance. I combed my golden blonde hair and held it into a high ponytail. I unzipped the garment bag, which my mother had dropped of by my room to reveal a classic black dress that was bound to show off some serious leg action. I fastened the pearl necklace, and sadly I couldn’t look at myself in the mirror, but if I could, I knew I would look crazy hot.
Charlotte had also dressed up, and she was in a simple nude-tone pale gown that elegantly blended with her creamy white skin. Her hair, which was slightly lighter than mine was left to cascade down her shoulders. I met her in the hall and we looked at each other.
“We’re the hottest goddamned creatures I’ve ever seen,” I mumbled. We walked together until we reached the staircase. I hesitated.
“Come on,” Charlotte urged, and with her we walked down to the ballroom of our gigantic mansion to slowly endure the idiotic vampire dance.
The ballroom, like the rest of the house was styled in Victorian décor. There was an enormous candle lit chandelier, which would in fact occasionally drip wax onto the guests below. Other than that I was forced to admit everything was perfect.
“Hey Elizabeth, guess who’s coming your way?” Charlotte asked. And from the corner of my eye, I spotted my mother, my father, an elderly woman—who of course was a vampire— but by her side was a strikingly handsome man. He had brown eyes with a slight red hint to his pupils showing that he was a full vampire. He was quite tall, had glossy, curly brown hair, and I couldn’t help but notice he had a better build than your average vampire guy.
“Elizabeth, Charlotte,” my mother began. “This is Anne and Dane Lancaster.”
I smiled politely at the guests, and Dane sent an annoyingly flirty smile back. Ugh, this was going to be a long, long evening.
“Hello Lady Lancaster, Lord Dane,” I curtsied. It was an old, old tradition and even though we were in the 21st century ancient vampires still felt that we had to show respect by bowing and curtsying.
“Hello Miss Elizabeth, and who might this other lovely lady be?” he asked bowing. Oh, he’s a major flirt and my mother wants him to be my husband, I don’t think so.
“I’m Charlotte,” my sister replied.
“Hey, you want to dance?” he asked.
Charlotte looked down and blushed a soft peony. She nodded and Dane led her to the dance floor. I turned in the opposite direction and headed off to the snack table. As well as blood, vampires also needed food, but obviously not as much as humans. I took a mini ham and cheese sandwich in on a side plate. I was bored so I slowly dissected it by carefully taking it apart piece by piece.
“Didn’t your mother ever teach you not to play with your food?” a rich, baritone spoke. I looked up. Great, the last person I wanted to talk to right now. Victor Sanchez, a Mexican vampire that could sense a woman within a five-mile radius.
“Not in the mood, Sanchez,” I snapped.
“Whoa, touchy,” he said in a slight Mexican accent. “What’s up Chica?”
“Well, let’s see. My parents are forcing me to marry some vampire asslord and I really don’t want to.”
“Asslord huh?” he muttered playing with a lock of my hair. I brushed him off and he laughed.
“Why not get married to me? Why not Chica?”
I quickly assessed him.
“I love you and all, but dude friendship only goes so far,” I said, but Victor was actually pretty good looking, put his arrogance aside. He had neatly cut dark —almost black hair—. He was pretty tall, and through his vampire pale hue, you could almost see his tanned Latino skin.
“Want to dance?” he asked in his irresistible, debonair voice.
“I’m falling into a forced marriage, and possibly into depression and you want to dance?” I asked incredulously. He just looked at me.
“Ah, what the hell! What do I even have to loose?” I muttered as I stood up. Victor took my arm and led me to the dance floor. There I found Dane and Charlotte doing a couple of dances that should be left at the clubs, and not be brought into the formal world. They looked like they were having fun, and a few guests were giving them dirty looks, but hey! Who the hell cared? Suddenly a fast, erotic tango/salsa song came on. I had a strong feeling that this was Victor’s work. He took my arm and began to lead. We were a few steps behind, but we were managing. We spun and dipped and basically we got lost into the fast and funky beat. I actually found myself having fun, occasionally laughing and forgetting all my worries, but it was just for a second.

Next day, I woke up with a serious headache. So this what a hangover feels like, but now for me since my vampire senses were so sensitive it was really one thousand times worse than it should have been. Victor had taken advantage of my euphoric high after dancing and had convinced me to drink. Bad idea. I didn’t even get beverages that were that strong, but on the other hand I don’t even remember how many cocktails, and glasses of wine and champagne I took down. I went to the bathroom to cool my flushed face, there I found Charlotte bent over the toilet.
“Ugh, I’ve been doing this for one hour straight,” she said finally taking a break from gagging.
“It’s probably because of one alcohol beverage too many. ‘Cause if that’s the case I totally get were your coming from,” I lamented raising a wet washcloth to my pounding forehead. It felt really nice. Charlotte suddenly turned a shade paler than she actually was and bent over the toilet again.
After an hour or two, the pain had slowly started fading, but it was going away at a painfully sluggish pace. Eventually it left altogether, but when I left my room I heard Charlotte. She was still in the bathroom, which was strange; I went in to check on her. She looked so frail and I had a felling she had stopped vomiting because of the alcohol hours ago.
“Charlotte?” I asked, and with her name I think the are-you-okay question rang through.
“Get mother,” she softly requested. So I did.
“Damn it,” mother cussed after checking Charlotte, Wow, I think this was the first time she had cussed. Well, at least in front of Charlotte and I. “Charlotte go to your room, lie down and the vomiting will cease,” she motioned to one of the near by servants. “Go get her a glass of water.”
The servant set off and mother called to me.
“Elizabeth come here I need to talk to you urgently,” she motioned me to join her in the hallway.
“Is everything okay with Charlotte?”
“Yes, her health is fine…but we have another problem to deal with,” she began. I looked at her anxiously waiting for her to continue. “Elizabeth, Charlotte is pregnant.”
I looked at my mother and my eyes widened. I was generally stunned. My sister Charlotte Saunders was pregnant with an illegitimate child. What! I knew that vampire symptoms of pregnancy came a few hours after the seed was officially planted, but most of the mothers of these illegitimate children were cheap commoners. Not royals, not my sister.
Dane, Dane Lancaster! I am going to kill that stupid, silk-tie-wearing, asslord for knocking up my sister. My mother walked past me while I was still in my state of shock, and entered Charlotte’s room to care for her. I regained my composure and followed her.
“Who is the father?” she asked sullenly.
“Excuse me?” Charlotte replied she had a big glass of water in her hands.
“Charlotte Marie Saunders you are pregnant, and you shall answer this question or in my mind you have officially crossed the road to being a cheap harlot,” my mother said angrily.
“It’s Dane Lancaster, isn’t it?” I asked. Charlotte, whose expression was mixture of incredulity and anger finally whispered.
“Yes.”
“Oh no,” mother gasped.
“At least the child will be royal, half Lancaster, half Saunders.”
“No you don’t understand,” mom said shaking her head. “Charlotte isn’t a full Saunders, she’s—she is half human.”
Charlotte gasped. I gasped, and I stared at mother, and my expression was probably one of utter astonishment.
“What…what do you mean?” I finally managed to stutter.
“Charlotte is—illegitimate, it was a stupid affair your father had years ago. That’s why we didn’t want Charlotte to marry…”
“So that your grandchildren can be full vampires and not have even an ounce of human blood,” I finished. Charlotte was staring at the roof, and there were tears in her eyes.
“And when exactly were you planning to tell me this,” she asked our— well, my— mother.
“We thought it would be best if you didn’t know. And besides it was a long time ago. Now you and your sister are respectable members of society and this whole situation was swept under the rug.”
I was in shock, but Charlotte was petrified. I wasn’t sure it was because of the discovery of the pregnancy, or the fact that she was an illegitimate child. Humans were regarded as nothing but…food. Sleeping with one and bearing a child with one was beyond shameful. Mother reached out to comfort Charlotte, but she wouldn’t have it. She stood up and marched away.
“Charlotte! Elizabeth!” exclaimed my mother.
“No, mom,” I said. Then I left the room, I needed to find Charlotte, and I needed to comfort Charlotte.

I found her on the patio. It was mid-December so the premises were covered with snow and ice. She was seated on one of the wooden deck chairs. She wasn’t wearing a coat, and I knew she had to be cold. Vampires didn’t get sick at all, but that didn’t mean that the cold wasn’t a minor pain in the ass.
“Freezing?” I asked. She didn’t respond. She was looking straight ahead, not administering eye contact. She finally spoke after ten minutes of total silence.
“Mom is right, I am a whore.”
“No, Charlotte just because you had one crazy night, and there was an unexpected pregnancy doesn’t mean you’re a whore.”
“What does it matter? I’m illegitimate and knocked up. I never want to see Dane again and he will definitely not want anything to do with me. Well, not after I tell him that I’m carrying his child…and oh gosh, if I could turn back the clock I wouldn’t have…” she trailed off, but her speech was muffled by the building tears that suddenly strained her voice. I immediately hugged her, and then she put her hand over her stomach and rubbed it. She let the tears silently spill over.
“Come on, let’s go inside,” I said. Then she stood and I followed her.
“I don’t even know how I’m going to face Father.”
“After not telling you that you’re a—,” I began, but then I immediately thought of phrasing my words a bit differently. “I mean, not telling you the news. I think he’ll have to let this one slide.”
Charlotte sighed and held her hand and squeezed it tightly. This was going to be a rough couple of months.

Read On! More Chapter to come, my little minions.

-TWO MONTHS LATER-

CHAPTER ONE:
Dispatch Them

Things couldn’t have gotten any more difficult with Charlotte at home. Her bump was steadily growing, and it seemed the bigger the bump got every week the more resentment Charlotte felt towards Mother and Father. But the worst part of her pregnancy so far was telling the Lancasters about the baby.
It was a dark, rainy day, and mother had invited Lady Anne Lancaster and her husband Lord Lancaster to the mansion. Mother specifically asked that Dane came along with them—You know, because he’s the father—. Anne had asked why, but Mother replied that I’d be best if Dane came along. So I was in Charlotte’s room, lying propped up on one arm as she brushed her right hand up and down the bulge that was coming into definition. The bump wasn’t huge or anything, but it was definitely noticeable through close examination.
I was dressed in dress pants and a steady blue button down shirt. It was a bit too formal for lying around the house in, but even I wanted to look presentable for this. Suddenly, Miranda, a lower-class vampire servant that worked for us burst into the room.
“Charlotte, Elizabeth the Lancasters have arrived,” announced Miranda.
The little color in Charlotte’s cheeks vanished, and she immediately pulled down her black, loose shirt to hide the bump. She nervously smoothed her tailor-made jeans and she began to slightly hyperventilate. I woke up off her bed and put a hand over her shoulder.
“Everything will be fine, trust me,” I promised. She began to breathe normally, but I could still feel her ‘heart pounding’. “Don’t worry,” I reassured her again. I led Charlotte up to her dressing table, and quickly did her makeup. I made sure to use waterproof mascara and I coated her lips with a thin layer of shiny lip-gloss. I did the same for myself and after we were done Miranda led us to Father’s study room.
There I saw Lady Anne Lancaster, Lord Lancaster, Dane, my father and my mother all sitting down on black, sumptuous leather and velvet seats. Charlotte and I sat down, and I saw Dane send Charlotte a saucy grin that she—of course—ignored. I saw the expression on his face. He was looking at my sister like she was a piece of meat, and it pissed me off even more that my sister was nothing but a new notch in his belt. It took all of my self-control not to tackle him to the ground and punch the asslord that had knocked up my sister.
I quickly took a deep breath and braced myself for Charlotte to say the words: ‘I’m pregnant’ or to say ‘I’m carrying Dane’s child.’ Or for Charlotte to blurt out the wittiest line my mind could think of: ‘your asslord, dick of a son tricked me into sex when I was drunk, and now I’m carrying his quarter-human child.’ I knew she wasn’t going to say the third one, but I really wanted her to phrase her sentence along those lines.
Miranda interrupted my thoughts by offering me tea and other refreshments. But I glared at her with a scowl so ferocious that she immediately backed off, and eventually left the room altogether. The awkward silence still hung heavy. Charlotte sipped her tea and then stood up. Dane and the other Lancasters abruptly jerked their gazes from there beverages and gazed at Charlotte. She looked like she was going to say something, but instead she held the material of her loose black shirt around her, causing it to tighten around her torso. She put emphasis on the bump, but the Lancasters still looked confused. Then one by one they all realized what was going on. They gasped. Then Charlotte spoke before any of them could.
“I just thought that you would like to know that you’re going to be grand-parents,” she said. It took all but a millisecond for Lady and Lord Lancaster to process what Charlotte had said.
More gasps. Then Charlotte laid another bomb on them.
“I’m half-human too,” she said. Tears were building in her eyes.
Dane stood up and so did I. I took a single step towards him, but Charlotte—who was the one that was closest to me—put her arm on my shoulder. She was telling me to back off, and again with a lot of self-control I slowly did. I sat back down, but Dane walked swiftly to where Charlotte was. Suddenly, he slapped her. The clap of his palm connecting with her cheek rang throughout the room. Her pale face was then temporarily marked with a pink blotch marking exactly where Dane had hit her.
I stood up again and this time no one could hold me back. I punched Dane in the nose and he also when on offensive by kicking me. We ended up on the ground, and while we were squaring it off on the floor. My parents and the Lancasters were arguing. Charlotte was in tears, probably not sure whether to break up the fight or the argument. And the servants that were lined up against the wall in the room were most probably unsure whether or not to get involved.
I mean, these were high-class royals they were working for, and if they stepped out of line we could destroy them as easily as we’d made them. So, basically if you were born a vampire, and your kin had prestige and importance in the vampire world you were capable of great things. But if being bitten by a vampire created you (which obviously means you were human to start out with) you were weaker—both physically and socially, and social grace in the vampire world meant everything. It gave you respect and prestige—. The Lancasters were one of the most prestigious families out there (even more powerful than the Saunders’.) So if a scandal like this one came out to the public or even got leaked to the public. You could only imagine the social disgrace this would pose to both of our families. So an illegitimate child — especially one that was part human— being revealed into vampire society was nothing to laugh about.
The Lancasters were still in shock. Lord Lancaster—who was now seated—was lost in deep thought, Lady Anne was quietly sobbing with her face in her palm and once Dane and I were separated he could barely stand the tension, so he walked out of the room like the immature coward he was. I still felt the urge to choke the life out of him. Charlotte was also sobbing, but unlike Lady Anne she made her tears visible for everyone to see. It was clear that Charlotte was scared, but most importantly she wasn’t ready for a baby. Let alone an illegitimate one that would drag both our families down. My parents and the Lancasters started talking again, but I didn’t hear a thing. Just a few key words: Society Rumors, Power and Abortion.
Charlotte sprung up after the last word was mentioned. She put her hands protectively on the growing bulge. But I knew—and she probably did too— it didn’t matter anyway because Charlotte’s mortals kept her from abortion. Charlotte was going to have this child and she was going to be a mother. She had to face the facts. The Lancasters promptly left afterwards. I had a strong feeling that they would deny any claims that this baby had anything to do with there family.
“No one is to find out about Charlotte’s partial human child, her affair with Dane Lancaster, or the fact that she is illegitimate. Are we clear?” Father said. He spoke out loud like we were chatting about the weather and not the well being of the family. Charlotte began crying again, so I took that as a yes from her. Mother had a bland, grave expression that looked like it was sculpted on her pale, white face, and muttered of course. I simply nodded. Then new thought came into mind.
“If this is to remain a secret the all the individuals who are not in this family must be disposed of. They know too much and their time is up,” I said. Father nodded agreeing with me.
“Miranda!” he called. Suddenly Miranda burst in and bowed her head. “Take Charlotte and my wife. Elizabeth and I have a bit of work to do,” he simply said.
“Yes, master,” Miranda muttered and led Charlotte and mother out of the room. All the vampire servants in the room that had heard the conversations going on looked frightened. They were told to line up in a single file line and I began disposing from the back while father started up front. Disposing a human-made vampire is easy. Just bite them and eject venom into their system. It’s ironic because the logic that works around the disposing method is: awakened with venom disposed of with venom. So, basically that’s why human-made immortals are so loyal to full-vamps. They know if they step out of line once, the end of their lives are in our hands, because generally we’re stronger than them because we are full vampires and not human-made. But the thing was that if a human-made vampire and full-vamp hook up the child would typically be a full vampire. When a human and vampire hook up the child ends up as a full-vampire too, but the fact that they have any human relation is bad enough.