The Gem of Life | Teen Ink

The Gem of Life

By macieallen23, Crawfordsville, Indiana
macieallen23, Crawfordsville, Indiana

Author's note:

I have tourette's syndrome, which is something that affects my whole life. Over the past few years, I have discovered that when I am writing, it is as if my tourette's aren't there, which is an amazing feeling. I have put a lot of work into this short story, and I hope you enjoy.

It was the worst year known to history. 2021. The Earth had fallen to nothing but dust. Animals went extinct, food supply ran out, and there was more trash in the ocean than fish. The only life they had, decayed into numbness.

Friday morning. Caine loves Friday mornings, because Fridays bring football games. He has been playing football for as long as he can remember, and he is pretty good at it too. He stands in front of the mirror hanging on the navy blue wall of his room. First he runs his fingers through his straight, brown hair to make sure it looks nice, then Caine’s hand reaches down and gently tugs on the blue and gold fabric of his jersey, so that it lays just right. Caine looks at himself in the mirror, checking himself out. He does a few poses in the mirror, reassuring himself that he looks good. In the distance, the sound of heels clicking slowly grows louder.

“What are you doing?” His mother lets out a giggle as she places a laundry basket filled with clothes on his bed.

“Just getting in the zone for game day.” Caine says with the biggest smile.

“Okay, well you better get going so you don’t make Haidee late.” Mrs. Brig suggests.

“I’ve got plenty of time!” He speaks.

“Go!” Mrs. Brig exclaims as she shews him out the door.

Caine grabs his keys and backpack, then begins to walk out of the door. “Bye momma, I love you!” He yells up to her as he’s leaving.

Caine dances his way over to his black 1999 crew cab chevy silverado, and throws his stuff in the back seat. He hauls himself up to his seat, gets situated, and turns on his favorite radio station. Driving across town, he starts singing along with the radio to the top of his lungs. After around ten minutes, he arrives to pick up his girlfriend. 

“BEEP BEEP!” The car horn sounded as he pulled in front of Haidee’s house. This beautiful brunette girl comes gracefully out the front door. Her hair is styled in loose curls that sit just above her ribs. She has the brightest green eyes, the most gorgeous smile. But it is not just her looks that make her so loveable. Haidee is a sassy and playful girl that deep down has a really good heart. She struts with confidence, and even something as simple as walking is made beautiful when she does it. Caine rushes out of the car, runs over to the passenger side, and opens her door for her.

“Wow, someone decided to be a gentleman today!” Haidee says in a sarcastic tone.

“Hey! I am always a gentleman!” Caine expresses playfully. 

Caine closes the door for Haidee, gets a running start, and slides across the hood of the car back to the driver’s side. 

“Well that was something.” Haidee says, raising her eyebrows and grinning.

“You know you enjoyed watching it.” Caine quickly replies. Haidee let out a small giggle.

“Oh of course I did.” She continues with her sarcasm. They hold eye contact, and can’t help but smile. “Now c’mon, we’re gonna be late!” Haidee insists.

They arrive at the highschool, and walk through the large glass doors. Many people greet the popular couple that just entered the building. After navigating through the crowd of all the students arriving at school, Caine walks Haidee to her class just as he does everyday. He then goes on his way to his math class. 

Alabama is almost always sunny with a high of 90 degrees, but today was different. Dark, dreary storm clouds rolled in slowly, covering up the sky that was once a deep blue. 

“Our game better not get rained out!” J.J. says furiously, glancing out the window.

“Calm down. A little rain never hurt anyone!” speaks Caine.

“Yeah, unless there’s lightning.” says Andrew, fidgeting with his pen.

“It’s Alabama! I’m sure the weather will be cleared up by noon.” Caine says, gesturing to the window. 

BEEP! “Caine Brig, Please come down to the office, Caine Brig.” BEEP! The intercom rings.

“Expecting anyone?” J.J. cocks his head.

“No, school just started. Why would I even come if I had a chance to stay home?” Caine replies.

“Well why else would you get called down?” J.J. utters.

“Guess we won’t know till I go down there.” Caine states, throwing his bag over his shoulder.

Caine makes his way down the dreadfully long hallway to the office. He begins to get a little anxious. No one ever gets called down to the office for a good reason. When he gets about halfway there, he sees his father patiently waiting by the front doors. He continues walking until he meets his father.

“Caine, son, we have a major problem.” Mr. Brig says, anxiously.

“Is it mom?” Caine asks fearfully.

“No, no. Mom is fine. It’s science.” Mr. Brig shrugs.

“Science?” Caine questions. 

“Yes.” His father replies.

“You showed up at my school to give me a science lesson?” Caine askes confused.

“Not really a lesson, more of a universal disaster.” He replies .

“What are you talking about?” Caine asks, cocking his eyebrow.

“Well, you see, last year when I took that ‘business trip’, I was in Paris, inside of the Eiffel tower. I was sent by the FBI to go on a mission, and find the Gem of life.” 

“Are you on drugs?” Caine concerningly asks.

“I wish I were. That would be better than this.” Mr. Brig admits.

“Go on.” He replies.

“Caine, we aren’t really on Earth. We’re in a simulation.”

“You are positive you aren’t on drugs?” Caine still didn’t buy it. His dad remains silent.

“On New Year’s Eve, 2021, we thought everything would reset, but it didn’t. There was so much sorrow in the world, and so much pain. Animals were going extinct faster and faster, the water was no longer clean enough to use. The World was going to end. Earth would never be the same again. I know I sound crazy, but you have to believe me. We predicted this happening years ago, and we knew we had to come up with a plan. So, we found a different planet. One that was just like Earth.” Mr. Brig explained, “I have been working with the FBI on this project for a long time now. Before deciding we needed a new planet to live on, I made a big discovery. When I was in Paris doing research for it, I found a way we could create our Earth on another planet. The Gem of Life. I found this green stone that appeared to be some sort of magic when I was cave hunting. I broke a little piece off to take home, and when I did that, the skies suddenly turned grey, and everyone around me became depressed. I knew this Gem was something very powerful, so I took it with me and returned to work. After running hundreds of tests, we discovered that it controlled all of Earth. After finding the perfect planet, we froze time on January 1st, 2022, and transported everyone to this new planet in pods.”

“That’s not possible.” Caine says, rubbing his head.

“It is possible, because that’s what happened. But that’s not why I’m here. The Gem broke Caine, and if we don’t fix it fast, there will be no more life.” His father explains.

“Yeah I am still lost.” He admits.

“You’re going on a trip to fix the gem. I have to stay here at the FBI HQ and make sure everything is still okay. I will be watching you through a series of cameras placed all over the world. There is a private jet waiting for you outside, make us proud, kid.”

“Oh so you’re telling me that I have to save the world? And completely by myself?” Caine sarcastically asks while tilting his head and folding his arms.

“Unfortunately, yes. I am.” His father explains.

“No way! I’ve got a game tonight, and this whole thing sounds ridiculous! First you tell me that nothing in this world is real, then you tell me you froze time and moved everyone to a whole different planet? And now you’re asking me to go by myself and fix a problem I didn’t even cause! Don’t get me involved in your science-y problems. Also why in the Eiffel tower?” Caine yells.

“Caine, please? We really need you.” 

“Yeah, no. Get one of your FBI people to do it or something.” Caine says, shaking his head. He turns and begins walking back to class.

“You don’t understand, it has to be you who fixes it. You’re special.” Caine stops to think after hearing his father speak.

“Special how?” Caine asks, turning back around and folding his arms.

“Uhh, I don’t know. I was really hoping I would think of something on the spot.” Mr. Brig admits. Caine turns and begins walking again. “Okay wait, what if I buy you a new car?”

Caine stands for a minute, thinking. “Okay, I’ll do it. But only if Haidee gets to come.” He says, shrugging.

“Fine, you can bring Haidee. But there isn’t a lot of time, you need to leave now!” His father says sternly.

The office calls Haidee down, and she is greeted at the office by Caine and Mr. Brig. Caine takes her by the hand, and starts pulling her towards the door.

“I’ll explain everything along the way, but we have to hurry.” 

“Um, okay?” says Haidee, following behind him.

They rush to the jet, and begin their journey to the Eiffel tower. The heavy metal body rumbles and shakes as it escalates into the sky. The jet floats effortlessly over the white, puffy clouds. 

“Wait, so you’re telling me that we aren’t on Earth anymore? And that we all got transported in January 2022? And this gem thing controls all of our emotions and life as we know it? AND YOUR DAD DISCOVERED IT?!” Haide asks flustered. 

“Don’t worry, all we gotta do is fix this thing, then we can go back home!” Caine assures her in a cheerful tone.

“Are you kidding me? How are we supposed to go back home knowing that nothing is real?” Haidee whines.

“I don’t know, but I do know that if we don’t fix this gem, there will be nothing to go back to! There won’t be a life for us anymore!” Caine argues. 

“Dude, you just told me that my whole life is a lie and now you’re yelling at me?” Haidee responds.

“Oh, so you think this isn’t affecting me?” He yells. 

“I never said that.”

“I don’t want to be here either, okay? But here we are, doing this.” Caine expresses.

“Oh but that’s where you’re wrong. I didn’t agree to any of this. Take me home!” She says.

“No! If I have to do this, so do you!” 

“Oh do I? Because last time I checked this doesn’t involve me. Like at all. I’m not just some side kick you get to take along with you!” She speaks angrily.

“Haidee, stop it!” He commands.

“Stop what?” She asks.

“Acting like you are the only person on this planet, and that your emotions are the only ones that matter!”
“Do you even hear yourself Caine? Why are you being such an asshole?” Haidee angrily glares at him.

“Yeah, cause I’m the asshole.” He says under his breath, glancing out the jet window.

“You know what? Just leave me alone.” Haidee turns her body, and stares hopelessly out the window. After a while, she lays her seat back and closes her eyes to take a nap. Since they were on a private jet, the jet could travel ten times faster than a regular plane. About an hour and a half later, they arrive.
“Hey love birds! Get off my jet!” yells the pilot.

Caine walks over and shakes Haidee to wake her up. As he grabs her arm, she jerks her body to get away from him, showing that she is still angry. She gets up, and walks behind Caine. They climb out of the jet, and are shocked when they look up at the massive tower in front of them. In the center of the tower, what appears to be a shiny object, reflects the light of the sun into this young couple’s eyes. 

“Well I think we found our gem.” Caine mentions squinting at the light, and holding his hand up to block it.

“I think we found our gem!” Haidee says, mocking him.

“Dude, you’re being ridiculous.” He says annoyed.

“You are on very thin ice, sir.” Haidee sassily points her finger in his face. 

Caine starts walking towards the mysterious light coming from the tower. Haidee however, remains in the same spot, folding her arms. Caine stops suddenly, and turns towards her. He angrily marches over to her, throws her over his shoulder, then carries her over to the tower. 

“Hey! Put me down!” She wiggles around.

“I’m not going without you, so hold on tight!” Caine says.

After arriving at the tower, they find a green, glittering stone at the bottom of it. This green stone almost had a glow to it. It was a piece of the Gem of Life. Caine gently sets Haidee down, examines the gem, and places it into his pocket. 

“How are we supposed to get up there?” Haidee asks, looking up towards the top of the Eiffel tower.
“I have no idea.” Caine admits.

“Maybe we climb!” says a voice coming from behind them.

Haidee and Caine jump back at the surprise of the voice. Out of nowhere, a beautiful blonde girl shows up. She’s dressed in an all black uniform, and seems to be around their age.

“Omg I totally forgot to introduce myself! Hi, I’m Sam! I’m your guardian angel!” The beautiful girl speaks.

“Our guardian angel?” Haidee asks, folding her arms and cocking her head sassily.

“Yep! I work with the FBI. I’m basically just here to make sure you guys don’t mess this up, destroy the whole planet, and ruin everything. No pressure though!” Sam is oddly cheerful for trying to help save the world. 

“Yeah I don’t know if we should trust you.” Haidee comments.

“Is there really no other way to get up to the gem?” Caine questions, ignoring Haidee.

“I mean I guess we could just take the elevator.” Sam shrugs.

“Did you just ignore me?” Haidee shouts.

“Why yes, yes I did.” Caine says with a pitiful smile.

The three are let in by security after Caine shows them the badge his dad lent him, and Sam shows her badge. After entering the tower, and finding themselves on the bottom floor, they find the elevator, then climb into it. There were over one-hundred floors to choose from, but at the very bottom of the panel, there was a big green button. 

“Must be that big green one!” Caine exclaims.

“Oh it must be that big green one!” Haidee continues her mocking.

“Will you cut it out! I don’t want to be here anymore than you do!” Caine argues.

“Omg! I can’t believe we are actually going to see the Gem of Life!” Sam exclaimes “Push the button!”

Caine pushes the button, and they shoot through the tower at a very quick pace. Finally, the doors open up. At a first glance, it is just a normal room, but go a little farther, and you see the Gem of life standing on a diamond platform. The three kids stand there in awe.

“Let’s fix this thing and get the heck out of here.” expresses Haidee. She dramatically walks out of the elevator and walks towards the broken rock.

“Hey! Slow down!” Caine yells after her. Haidee turns around, and begins to walk back towards him. He smiles as she does.

“Don’t tell me what to do.” She takes the piece of the gem from Caine’s pocket, and makes her way back over to the green, glittering jewel without turning back. Caine leans against the wall, and Sam stays with him.

“I hate that she’s mad at me.” Caine admits.

“Okay? So break up with her.” suggests Sam.

“Are you crazy? I would never! She means the world to me.” He exclaims. 

“But you guys are fighting. Why would you want to be with someone that you don’t get along with?” Sam asks. “If I were dating you, I would never upset you.” She leans into him. “You know, you’re pretty cute.” Sam stares into his eyes.

Haidee turns back towards them to ask for help, but before she says anything, she spots the two together. Haidee noticed how close they were to each other, and suddenly she felt sick. It was the feeling you get after you eat the fish sticks from school. Your stomach turns, you start to feel hot and a little bit nauseous. 

“What is this feeling?” Haidee asks herself. 

She looks back at them, but this time Sam has a hold of Caine’s shirt, and keeps pulling him closer until they kiss. Haidee starts to have a different feeling now. It isn’t sadness or fear. It is anger. Haidee gets herself up, storms over to Caine, and slaps him. 

“I hate you!” She yells at Caine. “And you know what really sucks? I thought that maybe this fight would just blow over, and we would be fine, but I guess I was wrong. I’m going home. Have a good life without me.” Haidee walks over to the elevator and waits for it to open.

“Haidee! Stop! I know it looks bad, but that’s not what happened! She kissed me!” Caine yells after her. No response. “Haidee I- I-,” he finally spits out the words, “I love you!”

She turns around. “Go on.” Haidee says, folding her arms. They have never said that to each other before, so she knows he must mean it.
“I love you Haidee. I didn’t want to kiss Sam, she kissed me. I’m sorry.” He said.
“Oh don’t act like you didn’t enjoy it!” Sam butts in.

“Shut up!” Caine and Haidee yell in unison.

Haidee walks over to Caine, “You really mean it?” She asks.

“I do.” He responds. Haidee smiles at him, and he wraps his arms around her to hug her.

“As much as I hate to ruin this special moment,” Sam sarcastically says, using her fingers to make quotations around ‘special moment’, “we gotta fix this thing before all of us are dead, so chop chop people. We got lives to save here!” 

Haidee looks at Sam with a glare as Caine pulls away from her. 

“I hate to admit it, but she’s right.” He says.

They rush over to the gem, and ponder how to fix it. Looking out of the tower, the world is slowly disappearing. What was once Paris grounds, are now empty, gray, space. The grayness is rolling in towards the Eiffel Tower, which contains the three teens. Out of nowhere, Sam gets an idea.

“This thing is magic right? Maybe we have to say the magic word!” Sam yells.

“Seriously, why is she here?” Asks Haidee, gesturing to Sam.

Sam starts yelling random words at the Green Gem, but it is no use. They have no idea how they are supposed to fix it. They run back to the jet one at a time to get glue, tape, and whatever else they can find to try and get it to bond. Nothing.

The land around them is slowly turning grey. Trees, buildings, houses, everything is disappearing. They all gather around the gem.

“Guys, I-” Caine’s head drops down. “I’m so sorry. It’s no use. This is really the end.” He drops the piece of the gem that was sitting in his hand on the floor.

Haidee stands next to him, and places her hand on his arm. “Hey, it’s okay. We did our best. That’s all we could have done.” Caine stands there, ashamed of himself. Haidee places her hand on his left cheek, and turns his head so that it was pointed at her. Their eyes meet each other. “No matter what happens, I love you.” After hearing those words, Caine smiles, then leans down and kisses her on the forehead. 

“I love you too. I’m really sorry for bringing you into all of this.” He mentions

“Aw!” Sam sniffs loudly and wipes her tears. “That was beautiful!”

The piece of the gem that is sitting on the floor is now shaking. It is glowing brighter than ever. The piece slowly floats up into the air before connecting to its other half.

“Guys! The Gem!” Sam points at the stone.

Haidee and Caine quickly turn their heads to look. They can’t believe it. After all of that hard work, they fixed the gem by using their love. Caine pulls Haidee over to one of the windows of the tower, and they look out together. Everything starts reappearing. 

“We did it!” Sam yells.

“I guess we did.” Caine smiles. 

After doing their little celebration dances, Caine and Haidee are ready to go home. They board the jet, and Sam waits outside of it. 

“You sure you don’t want me coming back with you?” Sam questioned.

“Yes!” Haidee quickly shuts the door and yells up to the pilot, “Let’s go home!” 

Saturday morning. After all that they had been put through, the kids are finally back in Alabama. The jet lands at the FBI HQ and Caine’s father comes running out. “You did it! I knew you could! Come in! I have some very important people I want you to meet!”
Caine looks over at Haidee, and gives her a look suggesting that he wants to know if she would like to go inside. She gives him a nod, and they follow their father inside. Right inside waits a tall mysterious man, wearing all black. He is holding a small machine that appears to be a camera of some sort. 

“Okay guys, stand right here on this line.” Mr. Brig positions Caine and Haidee in front of the mysterious man. 

“Smile!” When the man presses the button on the small machine, a loud ringing noise begins. The machine erases their memories, and turns back time.

Friday morning. Caine loves Friday mornings.