Agent 12 | Teen Ink

Agent 12

By bulldog66, Beverly Hills, Michigan
bulldog66, Beverly Hills, Michigan

It ain't bout how hard you hit. It's bout how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward.
-Rocky Baldboa

Author's note:

This is just a brief short story of the first book of the Agent 12 series. I did plan to make it longer. 

This is just a brief short story. This stor will eventually be longer. 

Agent 12

Leroy Jones was the best agent the FBI had. Leroy joined the FBI at the age of twenty-five and has already closed more cases in a four year span than any other agent, helped take down the Russian mob in Los Angeles, worked undercover for more than a year to get evidence to convict the powerful crime boss Bobby Stonebanks, and recently took on a rookie agent to train. The rookie’s name was Brian Walker. Their first case together was to track down and capture a warlord by the name of Bertnalli. For two years, they have tracked him down but no luck at all. All of that changed one day in the office when an agent walked into Leroy’s office with Brian.
“Hey Leroy,” Brian said. “A package came for you.”
Leroy was confused. He wasn’t expecting anything today.
“Who is it from?” Leroy asked.
“No idea. All we got is an address. It’s local. It’s in Queens,” Brian said.
Leroy signed the form and the agent left the office, leaving the package in there.
Leroy opened it up and it was a DVD and it said For Agent Jones on it.
“Close the door and shades Brian,” Leroy said.
Brian did so and walked to Leroy. Leroy put the disc in his computer and the disc played. There was a white man in his early to mid forties on the tap with an Australian accent.
“Agent Jones, heard you’ve been looking for me for some time now. I’m the one they call Bertnalli. Since you have been looking for me for so long, I’m gonna help you out here. I left a hint for you on my whereabouts. You better hurry because in one hour from now, you will never hear from me again.”
The video ended and Leroy closed the laptop.
“What is the hint he gave us?” Leroy asked Brian.
“He wouldn’t make it easy for us, so it’s not the Queens address on the package. Okay judging by the background of the video, he was in an abandoned warehouse. So we should have Rameriez check for abandoned buildings in a 15 mile radius,” Brian said.
Leroy smiled and said, “Well I am glad you are thinking outside the box there my friend. But I hate to break it to you, he is in Queens.”
Brian was shocked. It was never that easy. Never.
“But why would he make things that easy for us?” Brian asked.
“Because he was hoping we would over think it. According to these blueprints, there are two abandoned warehouses in Queens. We check them out, he will be in one of them,” Leroy said.
“I don’t know about this Le. This smells funny,” Brian said.
“You probably smell that tuna sandwich you ate for lunch,” Leroy said as he put on his jacket and holstered his nine millimeter.

When they arrive the first warehouse, Brian and Leroy got out of the car and put on their protective vests.
“Le, you sure about this?” Brian asked. “I think we should call in for S.W.A.T just in case.”
“Brian, we have been trying to get this guy for two years. If we don’t stop him now, we never will get him.”
They ran inside the warehouse and had their guns at the ready. It was dark and it looked like no one has been in the warehouse for months.
“Le, don’t think this is the right warehouse,” Brian said.
Leroy looked at the ground and saw tire tracks. They were fresh too.
“Looks like we just missed them,” Brian said.
Leroy was pissed off. They missed their one chance on getting Bertnalli.
That couldn’t be farther from the truth. All of the sudden, the lights flashed on and Leroy and Brian were surrounded by a small army.
“Agent Jones, you’re right on time,” said a voice. It was Bertnalli.
Leroy saw him and said, “Bertnalli, you’re under arrest. Let’s go,” Leroy said.
Betnalli chuckled under his breath and said, “You are in no position to make a deal. As you can see, you are outnumbered.”
Brian knew it. It was a trap. They were finished and there was no way out of here. However, Leroy remained calm.
“You’re willing to kill two federal agents? You do that, then not only will the FBI continue to hunt you down, but the CIA, Homeland Security, DSS, DEA, the freaking secret service. You will be public enemy number one,” Leroy said.
“Cool,” Bertnalli said. “I love being at the top of the world.”
Bertnalli pulled out his pistol and aimed it at Leroy and Brian. Brian was really getting nervous and even began to pray. Leroy just remained calm as ever. Brian didn’t get it. Did Leroy know something that he didn’t?
“You really think I would come here not expecting a trap Bertnalli?” Leroy asked.
Now Bertnalli was caught off guard.
“What are you talking about?” Bertnalli asked.
“I have back up on stand by. If they don’t hear from me in like five minutes from now, you will have no where to go. There will be copters, trucks, SUVS, boats. You name it. There is no way out of this,” Leroy said.
Now Bertnalli was speechless…but he was a quick thinker. Bertnalli smiled and said, “Well then, I guess it would be a bad idea to kill you then.”
Suddenly, Bertnalli fired his gun and shot Brian in the chest.
“NOOOO!!!!” shouted Leroy.
“You can either save your partner or go after me, Agent Jones. Your choice,” Bertnalli said.
Bertnalli whispered and his men moved out.
“Brian, you stay awake you hear me?” Leroy said to Brian, trying to stop the bleeding.
Brian looked at Leroy and said, “Tell my wife that I love her.”
“No, you are going to tell her that yourself. Help is on the way,” Leroy said.
“Le..when you find that bastard…you kill him,” Brian said.
Then back up and medics came into the warehouse. But it was already too late. Brian was gone. Leroy closed Brian’s eyes and said a quick prayer. Leroy got up and walked to the SWAT leader. Bertnalli was already long gone. They just missed him.

Leroy returned to the agency shortly after Brian’s funeral. He had been recently been reached out by a team of scientists about a special project they have been working on called Outcome. The only people that know about it are the scientists who have been working on it, the FBI director, and the CIA director. Evidently, Leroy is a person of interest to use the project on. The scientists told him that his IQ will skyrocket and his physical abilities will increase dramatically. They told him that he would be like a real life Jason Bourne. Leroy accepted the offer, knowing that this could give him an edge the next time he finds Bertnalli. When he walked into the lab room, there were three scientists and the two directors. The FBI director walked up to Leroy and shook his hand.
“Leroy, what you are doing here is a service to your country. You will be one of a kind,” he said.
As Leroy took off his shirt, he said, “Let’s just get this done and over with.”
A scientist explained to Leroy the procedure and that it might hurt a little bit. Leroy nodded and sat down. The scientists stuck needles into his arms and back and they were right, it did hurt a little. As they injected the serum into his blood, Leroy felt an immediate difference. When the procedure ended, Leroy put his shirt back on and left the lab. When he went to his office, he immediately started to track down Bertnalli’s whereabouts. At the end of the day, Leroy requested a fresh start from the director. He wanted to be a full time undercover agent, use his actual name as a cover name since he delete any prove of existence of Leroy Jones. And since he was such a huge fan of James Bond growing up, he requested to become a number. He called himself Agent 12 from there on out at the agency and had been granted a license to kill. That is how Agent 12 was born.

Five years have passed since Brian’s death and Agent 12 still continues to hunt down Bertnalli. He has gone on every undercover mission that could possibly lead to Bertnalli, but no luck. Bertnalli was a ghost. But Agent 12 refused to give up. That was when he received a mysterious call from a girl from his past. Her name was Marissa Small.
“Marissa?” Agent 12 said.
“Agent Jones. Nice to hear your voice again,” said a man’s voice.
Agent 12 jumped out of his chair and said, “Bertnalli.”
“I warned you what would happen if you continued to hunt me down. Now your actions are going to cost you.”
“I swear to God if you hurt her, I am going to kill you slowly,” Agent 12 said.
“Your threats don’t sweat me, Agent 12. I’ve beaten you once already. I can easily do it again,” Bertnalli said.
“If you easily could kill me, why don’t you stop hiding like a coward?” Agent 12 mocked.
“Come and get me then, Agent 12. I’m in the same warehouse we met last time. Some nice memories here. Wouldn’t you agree?”
That was when Bertnalli hung up the phone. Agent 12 grabbed his firearm and was stopped by the director.
“I know what you’re thinking buddy. But I can’t let you go. This mission is too personal for you,” the director said.
“You’re damn right that it’s personal. I’m not going to bring this guy into custody. I’m going to kill him. And you can’t stop me,” Agent 12 said.
“I sure as hell can stop you. I can take your badge and your gun,” the director said.
Agent 12 tossed him his gun and badge and said, “Take them. But that still won’t stop me from killing this son of a b****.”
Agent 12 left the office and went home to get some supplies. He grabbed a shotgun, a machine gun, and two pistols.

When he arrived to the warehouse, he saw two guards out front. He ran closer to the warehouse and hid behind a truck. He grabbed his machine gun and fired at the two guards. He ran into the warehouse and started firing his machine gun at more guards. He took out all twenty of Bertnalli’s guards and he was out of bullets with his machine gun. He grabbed his shotgun and went up to the next level. Then there was gun fire. Five more guards. Agent 12 took cover and ran to the guards. He fired at two guards and tossed his shotgun to one of the guards. The guard grabbed the gun and Agent 12 used him as a shield from the bullets. The guards took out the guard and Agent 12 threw the guard at one of the guards. Agent 12 grabbed the other guard’s hand and broke it. The guard screamed in pain and Agent 12 grabbed the gun and threw it at the last guard and hit his face. Agent two kicked the guard in the nuts twice and knocked him out. The remaining guard took out his knife and started swinging at Agent 12. Agent 12 dodged the knife and slid past the guard and grabbed his shot gun. Agent 12 quickly turned around and fired at the guard, shooting his face clean off. Agent 12 got up and reloaded his shot gun. Suddenly, he heard footsteps behind him. He turned around and fired the gun at another guard. Agent 12 walked up to the next level and he saw Bertnalli, just looking out the window.
“I must admit, I am impressed. You just took out twenty-eight of my best guys like they were minimum wage mall cops. Something is different about you isn’t there?”
“Where is she?” Agent 12 asked.
Bertnalli smiled and snapped his fingers. Two guards walked into the room with Marissa, tied up.
“Let her go, Bertnalli. It’s me you want,” Agent 12 said.
“Leroy, what the heck is going on here?” Marissa frightenly asked.
Bertnalli smiled and said, “She doesn’t know what you do for a living, does she?”
“Of course I do. He’s a computer engineer,” Marissa said.
Bertnalli and the guards both laughed.
Marissa looked at Leroy and asked, “Leroy, why are they laughing?”
“I’m going to kill you. You hear me Bertnalli? I am going to kill you,” Agent 12 said as he pulled out his pistols.
The guards placed their guns on Marissa’s head and Bertnalli said, “You shoot me, they kill her. So who’s more important here, Agent Jones? Are you finally gonna end this and shoot me but let her die? Or are you going save her and let me go?”
“I think I will take the third choice,” Agent 12 said.
Bertnalli didn’t see that coming.
“The third choice?” he asked.
Before Agent 12 said anything, he shot the two guards in the head and aimed his guns at Bertnalli.
“Okay that was unexpected,” Bertnalli said.
“Marissa, get out of here,” Agent 12 said.
“She can’t leave. I have men on stand by. She even steps outside without me, she is a dead woman,” Bertnalli said.
“Marissa, I need you to hide somewhere,” Agent 12 said. “I don’t want you to see this.”
Bertnalli smiled and asked, “So are you going to kill me like a man or kill me like a sheep?”
That really pissed off Agent 12. Bertnalli was taunting him to fight him like a man.
“What is it going to be,” Bertnalli asked as he tossed his guns out the window.
“You want me to man you up? I’ll man you up,” Agent 12 said as he holstered his guns and took off his belt.
Bertnalli smiled and said, “You must want to hurt me bad.”
Agent 12 shook his head and said, “Naw I ain’t gonna hurt ya. I’m gonna take your goddamn life.”
“Oh I’m shaking in my boots,” Bertnalli said.

Agent 12 tackled Bertnalli to the ground and punched him in the face over and over again. Bertnalli pushed Agent 12 off of him and got back onto his feet. Bertnalli jumped into the air and kicked Agent 12 in the face. Agent 12 fell onto his back and groaned in pain.
“Over so quickly?” Bertnalli asked.
Agent 12 got up and charged at Bertnalli. Bertnalli moved out of the way and elbowed Agent 12 in the back. Agent 12 fell on to the ground again. He quickly got up and exchanged punches with Bertnalli. Bertnalli kicked Agent 12 to the ground again. Agent 12 moved out of the way and tripped Bertnalli to the ground. Agent 12 got on top of Bertnalli and punched him in the face over and over again. Bertnalli tried to push him off of him again but Agent 12 didn’t move. Bertnalli lifted his knee and kicked him in the back. Agent 12 screamed in pain and fell off of Bertnalli. Bertnalli threw Agent 12 across the room and drew a knife.
“I must admit Agent Jones, you can really put up a good fight. If only your dead partner were here to see this. What was his name? What did you call him?” Bertnalli said.
Right before Bertnalli could stab Agent 12, Agent 12 grabbed his wrists and punched him in the nuts. Bertnalli groaned in pain. Agent 12 grabbed the knife from his hands and kicked him in the stomach. Bertnalli fell to the ground, putting pressure on his crotch.
“Get up..Bertnalli,” Agent 12 angerily said.
“Leroy, he’s had enough,” Marissa said, coming out of her hiding spot.
“Marissa, close your eyes. I don’t want you to see this,” Agent 12 said.
When Agent 12 saw that Bertnalli was still on the ground, he said, “Get up you sheep.”
Bertnalli finally got onto his feet. 
“Leroy, don’t do this. He’s had enough,” Marissa pleaded with Agent 12.
“Marissa, I said close your eyes,” Agent 12 said.
“DON’T DO IT LEROY,” Marissa shouted.
Agent 12 began to charge at Bertnalli and he shouted, “MARISSA CLOSE YOUR EYES!!!”
That was when he thrust the knife into Bertnalli’s stomach. Blood began to drool out of his mouth.
“His name was Brian,” Agent 12 said as he drove the knife up Bertnalli’s chest.
Bertnalli’s body fell to the ground. Agent 12 looked at Marissa and saw that her eyes were closed. He walked to her and opened her eyes.
Marissa saw Bertnalli’s body and said, “You killed him…why?”
Agent 12 thought about his answer and said, “He was too dangerous to be kept alive. It needed to be done.”
Marissa shook her head and said, “No you could’ve just taken him prisoner. He was our only way out of here. Now we’re trapped here.”
Agent 12 smiled and reached into his pocket. It was a tracking device.
“Help is already on the way, Marissa,” he said.

When the entire FBI strike team and agents arrived at the warehouse, Agent 12 took Marissa to the ambulance. Before he left her, she asked, “How come you never told me that you were with the FBI?”
Agent 12 looked at her and said, “I didn’t want you to see the real me.”
Before Marissa could say anything, Agent 12 left and met with the director.
The director just smiled at him and said, “You really can’t take a direct order, even when you lose your badge and gun.”
Agent 12 smiled and asked, “You going to arrest me or what?”
The director chuckled under his breath and only handed his badge and gun back.
“You did good, Leroy. Brian would be proud,” the director said.
Agent 12 just nodded and walked away.
“Jones,” the director said.
Agent 12 stopped and looked at the director.
“Don’t ever pull a stunt like that again,” he said.
Agent 12 smiled and said, “Like you said, I can never take a director order.”

The
End