The Glass Castle Critique | Teen Ink

The Glass Castle Critique

If someone is looking for an inspirational and adventurous book that will leave them wanting more, then The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is the perfect book. It is written in a way that is clear and easy to understand for most ages. However, some parents may find it inappropriate due to sexual content and some odd language. It is also a true reflection of how reality can change at any given time, and how people have to be willing to keep up and stay strong no matter what the circumstances are. Throughout the story Walls excels at explaining the hardships that she overcomes throughout her unbelievable life, and how strong she really is. She lets us know that we have to be positive even during our most difficult times.

Walls takes the reader on the journey of her family through her own eyes while describing some of her jaw dropping experiences. The book allows the reader to feel like they are living with her through her not-so-glamorous childhood, while also learning some valuable life lessons along the way. Walls describes what it is like to constantly move from town to town while trying to keep up with her insanely dysfunctional family. At this point, Walls does an excellent job at letting the reader know how her story is an exact reflection of reality. Her story perfectly mirrors the difficulties of living in poverty, and going from having money to loosing it all. The characters in the novel are described in detail, and are true to human nature. Throughout her story, the way that Walls describes her life truly allows the reader to appreciate all that they have. This makes it a genuinely heartwarming story that lets the audience know that family is everything, and that we always need to stick together in life.

Throughout the entire story, Walls stays quite consistent with her writing. Almost everything in the story makes sense, and is easy to follow. The setting and characters are not necessarily "easy to read", but most of the events that occur in the story are fairly expected. However, this does not make The Glass Castle boring at all. Walls is able to grasp the reader's attention and keep them interested from the time the book starts, to the time it ends. The story is filled with tons of interesting and exciting situations that make it almost impossible to stop reading. The book also has many different parts where Walls expresses her family life. This allows the reader to appreciate the time that they have left with their loved ones before they are gone.

The true underlying message that Walls portrays in The Glass Castle is to not take anything for granted, and to never give up on any dreams, no matter how crazy they may be.