Good Work | Teen Ink

Good Work

By Joshua Bonham BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Joshua Bonham BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

In my over a dozen years of schooling I have experienced many different kinds of teachers. Everything from my fourth grade teacher that hated me because I asked to many questions, to my freshman English teacher who encouraged thinking outside of the box. My selection for teacher of the year this year is my English teacher this year Mrs. Bell. She has found an incredible balance as a teacher that I think all teachers to strive for. She is able to connect with her students on a personal level, but in the exact same moment command enormous respect. I have learned more this year in her class than I have previously in almost all the last three years combined. She is able to help teach us to reach that next deeper lever of thinking, but she doesn’t sacrifice depth for strong writing structure. She has helped me pay much more attention to the small details whenever I write. She has been the only teacher my senior year that has made any attempt to help us in class with college things. Students are able to go through Mrs. Bell’s class with the understanding that she works extremely hard. She will set a due date for a paper, and from that point of she will look exhausted at school from grading so late until she is finished. This does not mean that she takes a day off. Every day she comes to school ready to work and pushes us as writer’s daily. One of the most important things about Mrs. Bell that sets her apart from other teachers is that she seems to sincerely enjoy her job.