Learn Chinese, But Not for an Exam | Teen Ink

Learn Chinese, But Not for an Exam

My Chinese teacher in middle school, Mrs. Huang, is one of the most critical guides in my life till now, in the aspect of how to live a better life with Chinese instead of taking the Chinese test to get high scores. I do not know whether readers in other countries will consider this a remarkable thing, but for a Chinese student, it is pretty rare to have an educator like her.

In the current situation of Chinese education, high scores and top rank have gradually become vital in every single person's life. No matter whether in school or at home, the stressful atmosphere of high-pressure competition could exist as heavy as stone. Hence, most teachers would teach their students how to get more points for short answers and how to write an article favored by the examiners, leading to many rebels against studying. Unfortunately, for most children in China, learning Chinese turns from a joyful thing into a chore.

However, she is a rescuer who came into our lives and taught us how to become friends with the Chinese. From Grade 7 to Grade 9, we were always asked to write about our daily events worth writing about or sharing. With no limits of format, writing a poem prohibited in the exams is encouraged, articles about pessimistic moods that might lead to low scores in the exams are allowable, and natural expressions of emotions and stories are recorded by paper and pens. At last, we found that her guidance on writing articles made learning much more pleasant and brought good scores.

Mrs Huang is also a person who loves reading and recommended the reading lifestyle to me. She would share the articles she liked with us in her class, which are not included in the textbook or exams. Just like The Moon and Sixpence and The Razor's Edge by William Somerset Maugham, Boule de Suif by Guy de Maupassant, and A Dream in Red Mansions by Cao Xueqin, they brought me the passion of reading, step by step. Even now, as a student who decides to go abroad to attend university, I still keep the habit of reading before going to bed.

Looking back on my articles, those memories about the days I miss so much came back to me, surrounding me like warm sunshine. If not writing them down, perhaps I could remember nothing but the tedious examinations. So, it is she who gave me the opportunity to preserve the past and another probability of the future.

From a Chinese student who finish the Zhongkao: the high school entrance test