Coach Bob | Teen Ink

Coach Bob

February 14, 2023
By 4fritsche SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4fritsche SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have done gymnastics my whole life, but I never enjoyed the coaches. Gymnastics is a physical sport and a key component is pushing yourself. Growing up I had multiple coaches that were not only mentally demanding and hurtful but also physically. I ended up quitting after almost 10 years. A year after quitting, I decided to join Arrowhead Gymnastics after a few friends encouraged me to. 


On the first day of practice, Bob made it obvious that the team should be taken seriously but also, this team sport should be enjoyable. Bob did not flat-out say that we should have fun, but instead, he made our group fill with joy. This made all the new individuals feel comfortable and welcome. 


Regardless of skill level and previous experience, he treats everyone equally. He gets to know each and every individual, and can quickly make everyone laugh. Every day during our team meeting, we all sit down together and talk about new upcoming events/announcements. In this meeting, Bob continues to make everyone start practice with a smile on their face. An example of this was when it was Thanksgiving time, he gave us the details on how he makes the best dishes. The relatability he gives us–creates a strong foundation for a team. 


Bob also gives everyone an equal opportunity to compete. Instead of listing who made it into certain spots, he allows everyone to compete. He treats Varsity players the same as exhibition players. This includes the time he spends with them as well. He gives equal attention to everyone. 


As well as treating us equally, he also makes the team feel comfortable showing their own personalities. He does this by showing his unique personality while not caring what other people think of him. We admire this and therefore show who we are without being embarrassed.


While previously in club gymnastics, there was no excuse for missing practice. This is not the  case with Bob. While the gymnasts should try and attend as many practices as they can, family and school always come first. Even to the point where you are not feeling prepared enough to compete in a meet, Bob will always excuse it and will never push you to feel uncomfortable. He will always encourage but will never force. 


I think being able to be on first-name terms with him says enough about the relationship that our team has with him.


Thank you, Bob, for making the Arrowhead Gymnastics team the positive environment it is.