A Family in Prison | Teen Ink

A Family in Prison MAG

January 28, 2009
By Anonymous

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 234 comments.


on Nov. 17 2009 at 6:31 pm
ilovetinkerbell GOLD, Raytown, Missouri
13 articles 0 photos 85 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be yourself!!!

You are in my prayers and I hope you have your dad back soon. I

on Nov. 17 2009 at 6:27 pm
4everluvjc BRONZE, Plantation, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
nothing is impossible with God! Try him and you'll see :)

Wow...it's hard to say much. It's pretty sad. i don't understand how the judicial system would put someone in life sentence for something they didn't commit. I don't get that. I am so sorry. And you know what, I'll pray for you. There is nothing God cannot do. Trust him.

And remember, "he'll replenish all that the canker warm, the canterpillar has eaten."

Love to you

Book Addict said...
on Nov. 17 2009 at 4:41 pm
I will--as i'm sure many others--will pray for your family. I'm so sorry. This is such an example of how wrong the judicial system can be. I wish you and your family strength. Just hold on.

on Nov. 17 2009 at 1:29 pm
Miss_Bliss GOLD, Waban, Massachusetts
17 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If we did all the things we were capable of, we would literally astound ourselves."

-Thomas Edison

This sounds like a horrible experience...I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am for your family. Your writing itself is very good, and coupled with the power of the story this piece is amazing. Wonderful job, and I hope the best for you and your family.

mDawg said...
on Nov. 17 2009 at 12:36 pm
That's horrible. I'm sorry, I hope for the best for him and your family.

on Oct. 26 2009 at 10:08 pm
im very sorry for everything you had to go through and continue to go through........my love, wishes and prayers are with you and your family.

on Oct. 26 2009 at 7:44 pm
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other
71 articles 20 photos 296 comments

Favorite Quote:
"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

How horrible. How simply horrible. All the best to your family, and that one day you will all be together. Wonderful article. Please continue writing! Our hearts are with you and the rest of your family.

on Oct. 26 2009 at 6:09 pm
fearlessalways13 SILVER, N/A, New Hampshire
7 articles 6 photos 46 comments
I'm so, so sorry. This is so heartbreaking. Your family will be in my prayers. On another note, you have a real writing talent! I love your style. Please continue!

on Oct. 26 2009 at 2:47 pm
writingrox BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore)

I'm feel so sorry for your dad. I hope they catch the person who actually did it and let your dad go.

Ali.B GOLD said...
on Oct. 26 2009 at 10:46 am
Ali.B GOLD, Lexington, North Carolina
10 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
I write whatever flows from my fingers- AJY

im am so sorry about your dad. you and your family will be in my prayers.

on Oct. 26 2009 at 9:22 am
Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado
14 articles 0 photos 279 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

I'm so sorry! I hope your father will make parole.

reesha SILVER said...
on Oct. 26 2009 at 8:01 am
reesha SILVER, Rawalpindi, Other
6 articles 15 photos 124 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
Walt Disney

"Hakuna Matata!"
Lion King

"The British policy was 'unite and conquer'. But I say 'unite and conquer'."
Greg Mortenson (Three Cups of Tea)

Touching. I am crying right now! I will pray for your father!!

lungi101 said...
on Oct. 26 2009 at 1:47 am
you are such a strong person. the way you wrote this is so courageous of youa and i know Go dwill be with you every step of every way, an he will perform a miracle. and carry on being strong and courageous because God is with you always! God bless

on Oct. 4 2009 at 8:25 pm
xxMissingyouxx GOLD, Newfield, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"love is like a butterfly, hold it too close, it'll crush.. hold it too loose, it'll fly away"

i am very sorry about your dad..you willl be in my prayers always..i believe you when you say that your father is innocent..

on Oct. 4 2009 at 7:34 pm
SummerMornings GOLD, Dunwoody, Georgia
11 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is beautiful, but it's complicated... we don't need to understand. There are miracles, miracles..."

I will also be praying for you and your family. Thank you for sharing your inspiring story with other teenagers; it was emotional and beautifully written.

on Oct. 4 2009 at 6:51 pm
FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado
51 articles 0 photos 203 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

Wow. This piece is absolutley, tremendously astounding! I am praying for you and your family, and you need to always, always continue praying, praying that God will do the right thing. Oh, and never lose hope. As Jon Foreman said, The Shadow Proves The Sunshine

RLJoy said...
on Oct. 4 2009 at 5:54 pm
This is so sad!!!!! I am littrally crying!!! It was very well written

on Oct. 4 2009 at 5:34 pm
headinclouds BRONZE, Miami, Florida
3 articles 2 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We were given: Two hands to hold. To legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walk"

Oh my God... I am seriously crying and praying for you and your family... you are an amazing writer and I hope in the future that your dad will be freed and you will be able to write an entire book about your dad walking you down the aisle... never give up hope, because anything can happen ;)

on Oct. 4 2009 at 5:02 pm
LexyK2015 SILVER, Tucson, Arizona
5 articles 6 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I will not be a goody bag at your pity party" ~ Rachel Cohn
“On, there are so many lives. How we wish we could live them concurrently instead of one by one by one. We could select the best pieces of each, stringing them together like a strand of pearls. But that's not how it works. A human life is a beautiful mess.” ~ Gabrielle Zevin

OMG im so sorry...i know nothing i say can really help much, but im praying for you.

on Oct. 4 2009 at 2:32 pm
xXYourxRainXx BRONZE, Moyock, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't be afraid of shadows, it only means there's a light nearby" -Amy lee

OMG!!!

I'm so sorry i give your family all the hope you can get i hope your dad is let out early :.C never stop hoping