A Family in Prison | Teen Ink

A Family in Prison MAG

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

dancingirl BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington

“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

I agree, this must of been extremely hard for you to write all this down. I hope that that miracle does happen for you and your family.

sophietle BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters." - Seneca

I think it took amazing strength for you to have gone through all of this and then write it all out. Thank you.

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

This article made me cry. I thank-you for posting such an emotional and personal piece. That takes a lot of courage.

Madison Craypo SILVER, Liberty Lake, Washington
This story is kind of similar to a movie called the Shawshank Redemption. I am so sorry about the false charges but just remember that life has a way of evening itself out.

very_literary SILVER, Ballwin, Missouri
You're really strong to be able to write about this, and I know it must feel terrible that you're being deprived of someone so important to you like you're dad all because of false evidence. Thankfully, I have never experienced something like this, but, I'll keep you in my thoughts.

grace2719 said...
grace2719, Port Washington, New York

"If you love something, let it go. And if it comes back, you can eat it"

praying for you! :)

Crystal_McMillion GOLD, Peach Bottom, Pennsylvania

Love hurts worse than hate because when you love some one you have to love all that comes with them.

I know how you feel my boyfriends been in jail for 6 months its hard knowing someone you love is locked up I'm only 17 so its hard being away from him but the wit will be worth it i tell myself that every morning and night when i go to bed

EmelyJ GOLD said...
EmelyJ GOLD, Bronx, New York

"A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it. If you learn from it, it's not a mistake, it's a lesson."

Remember that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And I think that you are VERY strong. And please remember that everything happens for a reason; the Lord knows what He's doing, so have faith!

XoLaUrEnOx7 GOLD, Mapleville, Rhode Island

"When chocolates show up at your door, you know a boy loves you and is watching you."
- Me!
"Who needs a guy when you have chocolate and friends?!"
- Me again!

i think tht ur rlly brave 2 write about this. i would never be able to. i rlly hope tht some1 realizes it wasn't him. praying 4 u <3

Adrenalinejunkie52 SILVER, Sweet Home, Oregon

geez louise!
Hot Dang!!
Wasshupp?!!? (wuh-shup)
Hey You!

You really can write from the heart. I'm so sorry that that happened. Amazing story!

on Dec. 31 2009 at 10:08 am
Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
You ought to show this article to some judicial authority.

on Dec. 31 2009 at 9:33 am
jake2011 DIAMOND, Cheyenne Wells, Colorado

"With God all things are possible" Matthew 19:26

I'm sorry for what happened to your familiy. I hope justice will happen and your dad will be set free. My prayers are with your family.

serwaah said...
on Dec. 23 2009 at 10:46 am
nice story, and am so sorry for what had happen to your fam.

-alice- PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I care very little if I am judged by you or any other human court; indeed I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. -1 Corinthians 4:3-4

Oh yes, I hope so too. This almost made me cry, by the way. I'm so sorry for you.

addisonmc521 GOLD, Oak Harbor, Ohio
we be praying[:

Zobst1 GOLD said...
Zobst1 GOLD, Buffalo, New York

"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic." -The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde

Stay strong. <3

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

i can't convey how much i understand you

the pain of waiting, waiting, waiting...

remembering suddenly that your dad is somwhere terrible, somewhere you can't help him much.

i haven't seen my dad in three years. he was taken away three days after new year. i never even said goodbye. i didn't see it happen.

let your dad know you love him... it's the least you can do...

on Dec. 9 2009 at 9:58 am
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

I hope you get your father back someday soon! If he is innocent- which i hope he is- then surely justice will be found

on Dec. 9 2009 at 8:35 am
ConstanceScott BRONZE, Marion, South Carolina
Once again, you have to have an odd ball jerk in the bunch.

>!TheyBeShootin!<, Gary, Indiana

"Play hard or go home!!"

I am sorry but I am not religious but my mom always tells me, "Everything happens for a reason." Your dad may not have done anything but good will come from this event. I know how you feel though. I lost my father to a bottle of whiskey and a shotgun. Stay strong.