That Knife is NOT Your Friend | Teen Ink

That Knife is NOT Your Friend

By ChristinaC. PLATINUM, Corry, Pennsylvania
ChristinaC. PLATINUM, Corry, Pennsylvania

"Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

We’ve all been sad at one point or another. We have been sad for one reason or another also. Whether it was being tired, a broken bone, a break up, or maybe it was your friends having a fight. Now, how many people have actually been depressed? I don’t mean, “I’m so depressed I could die because John broke up with me,” I mean full blown, hit-rock-bottom-and-I-ain’t-getting-back-up depressed. Maybe every third person in a group of ten. What I’m trying to say is, not everybody gets depressed. But there are people in this world who are. Most of those are teenagers around twelve to eighteen years old.
The most common source of deaths in the US in recent days is not murders or muggings like most parents wish to think. 95% of teenage deaths are because they are depressed. When a child is depressed, they are not really sure about how they feel. They are confused, angry, sad, and all these other emotions crammed in to an already stressed out head and they don’t know what to do. They feel like there is no one in this world that they can trust or tell how they feel. Most students who feel this way stuff all these feelings in the pit of their stomach and leave them there, let them fester. That’s when the damage really starts.
Have you ever had something so bad, it eats away at your insides? You can feel it, day in and day out, just eating you until there is nothing left but raw emotions? That’s how depression is. All those emotions one shoves in some small crevice of their body, it eats at them until it all comes out in a negative way. There are people in this world who are so depressed; they just can’t take it anymore. I could list thousands of reasons why they should live, but they are unable to care about how their demise will impact others. It hurts so bad, they need it to be over immediately. Some overdose on drugs, medication, or alcohol, some slit their wrists or jugulars open, some are jumpers. There are so many bad ways depression can end. None and I do mean none of them are pretty.
Why, you may ask, am I making a whole paper on depression? Because, believe it or not, I care about every single child out there who is depressed and I highly encourage you, GET HELP BEFORE IT IS TO LATE!!! I have been depressed and I have friends who have been depressed and we know how it feels to be on your own with nobody to talk to. There are lots of people out there who can talk to you about your feelings. I know, being a teenager means you’re too cool to talk to your parents or teachers, I did the same thing. I actually put off talking to someone until I was caught by a teacher and I HAD to talk to the councilor. I also got help from my pastor and my friends. Anybody who can help you let them. Believe me, it is better to have someone help you now then deal with the consequences of your depression.