Nomar Garciaparra | Teen Ink

Nomar Garciaparra MAG

He is last year's American League Rookie of the Year and just one of the many up-and-coming Red Sox stars. Nomar Garciaparra has gained the respect of baseball fans around the country and the hearts of people around Boston. He plays hard every day and just loves the game.

Nomar hates discussing his statistics and awards, and isn't stuck up about them at all. He wants to prove everything on the field with wins. All last year, while he was piling up his stats, he refused to discuss his chances of winning the Rookie of the Year award, because the Red Sox weren't playing very well.

He ended up hitting .306 with 30 home runs and 98 RBIs. He set Major League records for RBIs by a lead-off hitter and most home runs for a rookie shortstop. During the season he had a 30-game hit streak while leading the League in hits. He may also be the best fielding shortstop that the Red Sox has ever had, with his great range, arm and knowledge.

He has quickly become a hero to many folks around Boston because of his on-field play and contributions to the community.

The start of his second season has already shown that last year was not a fluke. He is back with his amazing grace in the field and great bat handling abilities.