Loud and Bold | Teen Ink

Loud and Bold

By sophschwarzkopf BRONZE, Waxhaw, North Carolina
sophschwarzkopf BRONZE, Waxhaw, North Carolina

2:54 in the afternoon, does this seem like a time when teenage girls should be on the lookout for dangerous people? Is this the time to keep your head on a swivel? 

2:54 pm I walk into my local gas station with $20 of my babysitting money to put in my gas tank. Immediately I am confronted at the door by a middle aged man telling me how pathetic his life is but how he would care for a sweet girl like me. This 45 year old man knew he was talking to a 17 year old girl. 

Each word he spoke he edged closer. One tiny, yet very noticeable step at a time. With each step my heart beat a little faster. 

The gas station attendant watched, we locked eye contact and I looked over and up at the man, seeking help. Why won’t anyone intercede? Why is nobody helping me? 

I zoned back in “babygirl, what do you say, do you want to see my truck? It's right outside?” Babygirl, what a disgusting word. The word “no” shakily came out of my mouth. “Would a beautiful girl like you give me your phone number?” Asked the strange man. “No, I have to go.” I said with force, and I walked around him, my hands still shaking. 

After I left the gas station and was safely in the car I called my mom, she told me “It will not be the last time something like this happens.” It dawned on me, I was more annoyed that nobody stepped in, the gas station attendant definitely noticed, he went as far as to tell me other girls avoid him. Why didn’t he help me? Situations like mine are so normalized and it is not normal. 

I decided at that moment to go back in and explain how I felt. I knew the male gas station worker may not understand but I could not let it go. I wanted to make a difference, even if it was only at one gas station. 

“Hello, I wanted to tell you, with that situation I could have used help.” I stated. 

“Oh I know I was about to come over and say something.” Says the cashier. I thought to myself, was the first ten minutes not enough time? But I refrained and continued with my point. 

“That would have been really helpful, I was scared. In the future, If you see a girl in need of help, please help. Even if she ends up being alright it is always better safe than sorry.”

“You are right, I assumed you had it handled but as an adult I should have stepped in.” 

I do not think it is a secret to anyone that if you see someone in need of help you should help. However if people do not help you, please speak up so the same thing does not happen to someone else. 

I want this to be a lesson that sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone to stand up for yourself.