Feedback On Crack Cocaine and the Ghetto | Teen Ink

Feedback On Crack Cocaine and the Ghetto

January 7, 2016
By skyvex1 SILVER, New York City, New York
skyvex1 SILVER, New York City, New York
8 articles 1 photo 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There's always a price for what you want"- Steve Perry


Your opinion was very clear in saying that blacks should not be oppressed for their "rude" culture or neighborhood origins and that they should be proud of it. I'm slightly confused on what you're saying about black culture though. Are you saying that bad neigbhorhoods shouldn't be looked down upon or that even though it's bad it's what shaped you? And are you saying that using slang is okay when talking to people? Not everything can be said as "acting white", as you stated. That is just a target statement. It does not matter what race you are, it depends on your environment and who you are. You started with your uncle being a drug addict and then compared him to the many other young blacks who commited crimes while taking drugs. Also confused on the purpose of that comparision. Is it positive or negative? And black culture was not always "ghetto" and rap. In the 70s, black culture was mostly soul and R&B, where people "moved to the groove" and stood by their community. Now the community part has lasted for years, but not everyone listens to rap. 


The author's comments:

I was just so confused reading this article on what the author is trying to say. He looked on the negative parts of black culture such as violence. So what is black culture? I would say that is just the way ghetto neighborhoods operate, the violence and negatively around them since nowhere is safe in these places with drug dealers and crack houses. I wouldn't say that's black culture, it's just a bad neighborhood that happens to have blacks living there. Any ghetto neighborhood with any race would be the same.