Political Humor: Not a Laughing Matter | Teen Ink

Political Humor: Not a Laughing Matter

I must respectfully disagree with the article entitled "Political Humor: Not a Laughing Matter." In it, Allison Somers claims that talk shows such as "The Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" perpetuate political ignorance. However, I've found the opposite to be true; before watching either of these shows, I was completely ungrateful for my status as an American citizen and blissfully unaware of political news.

While both shows are defined by their comedic status, upon watching them, I've been far more interested in current events than before. Rather than glance at the front of the newspaper, I sit down every day and immerse myself in the many sections of The New York Times and The Baltimore Sun. This, I believe, can be largely attributed to watching "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report"; both are relentlessly funny, but clearly, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert foster a deep respect for the United States of America. The shows attract a substantial amount of younger viewers who would otherwise be apathetic towards issues plaguing our nation.

I won't deny that political knowledge has declined in recent years, but placing the blame primarily on The Daily Show and The Colbert Report is simply unfair. Major news organizations like Fox have done nothing but spread misinformation and lies to sway the public opinion about the war and other important issues, rather than do what news organizations are designed to do: report the news. It's important to remember, though, that Jon Stewart himself has said that The Daily Show's main priority is to entertain, and watching his show is better than receiving no political news at all.