Shopping Sustainably on a Budget | Teen Ink

Shopping Sustainably on a Budget

June 19, 2022
By hanshopee GOLD, San Diego, California
hanshopee GOLD, San Diego, California
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The fashion industry accounts for about 10% of global carbon emissions and nearly 20% of wastewater. The vast majority of this waste comes from fast fashion brands such as Forever 21, Shein, or Fashion Nova. Many purchase from these brands because of their convenience and low price point. I’ll admit, I have definitely bought my fair share from brands like these, but fashion doesn’t have to be this unsustainable.

Sustainable fashion can often seem out of reach for people who aren’t “rich”, but that is just not the case. Many brands that produce clothes in an ethical and sustainable manner are often extremely expensive. Brands such as Reformation can run you around $100 for a pair of jeans or $200 for a dress. For many, this outrageous price is simply not feasible. There are many ways, though, to shop sustainably without breaking the bank.

1. Thrifting
Thrifting is arguably the most affordable shopping option out there, while also being sustainable. All pieces found at thrift stores are being sold second hand and were pre-loved. Buying from thrift stores helps reduce the amount of clothes going into landfills. 26 billion pounds of clothing is thrown away annually, so thrifting just makes sense for the environment. At the moment, my favorite thing to thrift is button up collared shirts to wear for the summer. They tend to be in great quality, super cute, and cheap!

2. Online Sellers
An online alternative to thrifting, sites like Depop, Poshmark, and ThreadUp are also sustainable fashion options. Online sellers are also more accessible than thrift stores. While you can’t try on items before you buy them, you can input key words to look for specific pieces and brands. This makes it easier if you want a specific brand or don’t want to buy a specific piece first-hand, but you are still dying for the piece.

3. Cheap Sustainable Brands
As a general rule of thumb, the more sustainable and ethically made an item is, the more it costs to produce. The price rises as sustainable materials are sourced, waste is reduced, and workers are paid a fair amount. Brands like H&M Conscious, Warp + Weft, and Girlfriend Collective are all brands working to be more sustainable at an accessible price. While these brands may not be completely good for the planet and the people, they are still a start.

4. Expensive Sustainable Brands on Sale
Many sustainable brands with outrageous price tags have sales every so often, which can significantly cut their cost. For example, Reformation’s End of Season Sale at the end of August can show most prices being cut by up to 50 percent. They also often have a site wide sale during May with every single piece being 30 percent off. These sales can significantly lower the price from these sustainable brands, making their merchandise much more accessible.

Final Thoughts
Sustainable and ethical clothing does not have to be inaccessible and expensive. There are many options ranging in price range and durability that makes sustainable fashion accessible to people in all walks of life. Slowly incorporating sustainable fashion into your closet can bring an eco-friendly lifestyle into a previously unaffected area of your life. Bringing sustainability into all corners of your life can help, even if just a little bit. After all, every little bit that helps the earth counts!


The author's comments:

Hope is a 17 year old student from Southern California. This article was written in a three-part series on sustainability in the fashion industry.