Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place | Teen Ink

Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

By Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

The Queen said...
on Dec. 3 2010 at 8:50 am
Very well written, builds the suspense! Also congratulations on your award for "Bricks of Knowledge" in "Science is the key to the answer" is it you playing "Hungarian Dances" on the guitar?

Yes, dextrocardia is a real condition. It is a congenital disease, which means it is genetic:you are born with it or without it. Thanks for your interest and comment!

bob ment said...
Hi, intreseted on this dextrocardiac condition, is it a real disease? If so, how do you get it?

I would really like to read it. Maybe the author was inspired by mine. Well, thanks for commenting!

madm0e BRONZE said...
madm0e BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

People say I have no heart, that is not true, I have the heart of a small child. It's in a jar on my desk. -Stephen King

Nah.

We got this story in our Creative Writing class :l

Could you please tell me the name of the story, book, film, TV series, video, etc. where you saw it and, supposing it is on a specific website where I can find it? I am not sure when the story you are speaking of was written or published: "Death has its ..." was written in 2008 and published in March of 2009. Thanks for the help and the comment! Glad you enjoyed it!

madm0e BRONZE said...
madm0e BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

I don't want to kill your mood here. It's a great story and all...but I've seen it before...Like the EXACT same thing.

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the comment!

It's called transfection: you introduce a certain type of gene (cDNA) into the cell such that when it is expressed it produces green fluorescent protein (GFP). Thanks for commenting!

Karamel PLATINUM, Gwinn, Michigan

"Clever people will recognize and tolerate nothing but cleverness." -Anonymous

Fabulous! I love the ending: it was perfectly clever and unexpected. :) 

Ringo said...

Very original!

Went into youtube to see the videos for "mjbc99" user. Are the moving  cells in "Science is the key to the answer" really green??? How did you do that?

Also loved the ending of "Thanks to Science", simple but strong!

Cardo said...

Sorry I meant that still a gold medal is a gold medal!

By the way, how did you make the movies with moving cells in "Science is the key to the answer"?

Cardo said...
Liked your story very much. Original  & unexpected ending. Just watched "Bricks of Knowledge" on Youtube by the user "mjbc99", I liked "Greek Legacy", "El Poder" & "Science is the answer", still a golf medal is a gold medal. Well done!

Danny said...

This dextrocardiac ending is excellent. I am now studying embriology so for sure I'll remember the way the heart comes aorund for the exam!

Just watched the videos by user mjbc99 on Youtube. As I wrote to your sister, "Bricks of Knowledge" and "Science is the key to the answer" are really cool, specially the images taken on migrating cells. "Thanks to Science" is simple but strong and gets the message through. I really liked "Science is the answer" and the idea of "Join the Band".

I am happy you liked it. Thanks for your comment!

avb123 said...
avb123, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Don't blame the messenger because the message is unpleasant, blame the person who wrote the message.

It was sooo good! I love the ending- dextrocardiacs- was not expecting it, yet again neither was the assassin! So good!

sweet piece

I see your point. Assassin and mercenary do not mean the same thing. However, within the context of the story and the characterization of the shooter, I found the word suitable. Plus, I find that if one use the same word over and over again, especially in a short piece like this one, the story looses pace and excitement. After saying all of this, I still agree that the words do not have the same definition. Thanks for the feedback, it is always very useful. Glad you enjoyed it!

AaronLawrence SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

I may be an idiot, but i'm not stupid

Until you change me enough that i'm convinced I need to change, I won't change

I enjoyed this, it was defiantly a thriller.  Sometimes though (in noticed this cause i do it too) in the search to find original words you used ones that don't relate well enough, exmpl; the Assasin also being called a mercenary, there similer but i just would have stuck with assasin and maybe used mercenary for the second murderer. 

Nothing published, no. However, if you're interested, look up "Bricks of Knowledge" on Youtube by the user "mjbc99". My sister and I made it and it was awarded a Gold Medal in the Commonwealth Vision Awards. Again, thanks for your comment!