Outcasted- Chapter One | Teen Ink

Outcasted- Chapter One

December 15, 2016
By Blizzardstorm DIAMOND, Willow Street, Pennsylvania
Blizzardstorm DIAMOND, Willow Street, Pennsylvania
68 articles 2 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Wrongfully do men lament the flight of time….Let your work be such that after death you become an image of immortality.” -Leonardo Da Vinci


Light bled across the skies, painting them in vivid oranges and yellows. The lovely star was once again hiding behind the horizon of the myriad of trees that dotted the surrounding land. Nature was always finding its ways to surpass the upbeat life of the city splitting it, but the valiant efforts were hopeless. Secrets were always whispered through the wind, some would say; it was only ever a myth. Sighs escape from the waving willows that guard the walls, protecting them from demons and other creatures. Spirits were worshipped throughout the town, but extremely frowned upon. It’s upsetting to see the people abused and mistaken because of their beliefs; there was no chance of starting an uprising either.


I swing my legs off the large-paneled roof, the rows of merchants lining up the sides of the cobble street. It was a nice city- a city fit for a king, and it was certainly luxurious. Small hanging baskets of bright flowers were equally spaced out every now and then down the serpentine street. The town hall itself is ravishing with its sapphire banners and tapestries against its ivory stone walls. The King had definitely outdone himself with these superfluous decorations, yet citizens still suffer the consequences and ultimate prices of starvation and poverty.


The panels click suddenly; I’m suddenly knocked to my side, “Boo!” The lean boy sat next to me chuckles a bit as a smile escapes his lips.


“What the hell was that for, Fletcher?” I snap, a hand clasped against my chest, “You’re gonna slide off this damn roof one day, and I won’t feel the slightest bit sorry!”


He scrunches up his face, the freckles that dot his face grouping closer together along his cheeks, “Well that’s awfully rude of you.”


I go to swat at him, but as he flinches away, I gasp, eyes filling with pure joy. Strutting his way over, Adder holds his long, fluffy tail high in the air, piercing the bright sun. His lovely dark pelt is imperfectly flawless with his ruffled, mud-ridden fur and that famous knick in his ear from when we first had met. He is always a troublemaker, as well as my annoying older brother. Adder tends to have his sweet side show sometimes. He’s such a spoiled street-cat.


“Oh look what the cat dragged in.” Fletcher chuckles as he sits by me and cautiously pets Adder.


With a roll of my eyes, I hug Adder tightly, “Himself. Now stop torturing him.” I cradle the poor cat in my arms as he squirms to escape. He was always hyper as a kitten.


We sit there like that for awhile, the sun disappearing, leaving the sky’s masterpiece laid out before us. Every night we would sit like this, through rain and snow, but of course Mom always demanded us to stay inside during large storms that would rip through from time to time. When Fletcher and I were little, we had sat on the roof and had to climb back down after a hailstorm swept through. Mom had to grab father to help me down while I held young Adder in my arms. I swear, I’ll never let go of that cat.


“Fletcher!” A sweet voice calls from below, “Bring your sister with you; dinner’s ready!”


My brother and I exchange excited faces as we quickly slide down the back of the roof. Adder jumps out of my arms, startled. Fletcher quickly lands on the platform of the patio below that leads to the living room. As I quickly follow, I slam the door harder than I thought I did, causing Adder, who had slid through the window, to jump to his paws. We fly down the stairs into the dining room where Mom is setting the table with the help of Tatianna who’s dressed in a little checkered blue and white dress with light caramel braids. She was only six, but still did the most work in the house besides Mom with her love for helping her.


“So what’s the news?” Dad looks over towards Fletcher, and eyebrow raised from his spot in the kitchen. He leans against a wall, holding a few plates for Mom who rushes over and takes them to continue setting the table.


Fletcher’s smile fades, “Prices are going up at the market. I’m sure Rae will end up having to stir up the pot for money soon.”


I look up at the nickname. I was used to it, but the sound of a job crushed me. Sure I was already 16, but I’m not quite a social person. Making friends on the streets was tough enough. I did make a few, but every one that I tended to make died because of the government’s rules on spiritual people as well as magic. It’s really sad the government doesn’t trust its own people, but I guess they want to make precautions on future murders and crimes.


“I’m not getting a stupid job.” I mutter to Fletcher, kicking my heels up on the table after sitting down in one of the handmade wooden chairs.


“Raelyn, get your feet off the table. I worked hard on setting it up, darling.” Mom scolds me, giving me a small glare as I do as she says.


Dad walks in, helping Mom bring in food as Fletcher helps seat Tatianna before seating himself. Dad takes his place at the head of the table after setting the roast down with Mom’s mashed potatoes and greens. It was the usual meal, again. The conversation was kept quiet, as it always was. We never spoke as we ate, and we never did prayer before our meals because of the fear of being beaten into the ground.


I slowly eat piece after piece of roast before I just stare blankly at my plate. Just the thought of innocent people being beaten up was stomach wrenching, more than I could fathom. I set down my fork and rise from my seat, all eyes on me. They didn't dare speak, though worry filled those soft souls. Heels click from boots hitting the wooden floor. I make my way back towards my room, but just as I make my way up to the first step, the door swings open, slamming against the wall. Three brawny men stand in the doorway, guns raised towards the dining table. Navy jackets with white trim bring out their shining medals.


“Which one of you are Harold Lovell?” The center man motions towards Dad and Fletcher, his dark, patchy mug hugging his face. As Dad stands, hands raised, the man drags him out the door as he’s about to speak. They took Dad. My heart screams to run after him, but it’s no use; I’d only get myself in trouble.


“Stop! What are you doing to my baby girl?” Mom suddenly cries out, snapping my attention towards her instead of the empty doorframe. Another man, more lean than his partners, carries Tatiana out as her wails pierce the electrified air.


“Miss, I’m afraid we can’t-” The last man begins, but Mom suddenly swoops in, fury in those frosted eyes.


“Bring her back, now!” She snaps. Her little hands are balled up into powerful fists. I’ve never seen Mom like this, ever, but there she is right before me, standing on a pedestal. Her spirit, heart, and mind soar like a freed bird. She was tranquil as a dove, yet when it came to losing family, she became as fierce as a tiger.


“Mrs. Lovell, please, calm-” Mom suddenly reaches towards the man, but her fist is caught. With a small sigh, the man escorts Mom out behind the man who carries Tatiana.


Silence splits the intensified scene. I slowly make my way out from hiding, turning to see Fletcher stand at his place at the table. Tears stain his cheeks, a kitchen knife flipping flawlessly in his one hand. It's suddenly stabbed into the table as he falls back into his chair.


“Fletch…” My voice wavers as I swallow thickly from the situation.
He doesn't have to face me when I feel the hurt and pain across his face, “No, we can’t go. Mom wouldn't want this.”


Puddles fall from my eyes as I hug him tightly, “You won't go, but I will. I need to help Mom.” As I pull away to head out the door, he stands quickly, “What?”


“I'm not letting you get killed, Rae.”


I growl, fed up with him, “Yeah? Well I’ll risk everything for Mom and Dad, and you aren't gonna stop me!” I glare at him, and as I run off, he yells back towards me.


“Well I won't save your sorry ass this time!” I feel his glare sink into the back of my head, but I had something far more important than a sibling rivalry to deal with.


Boots click along the cobble streets in town. I frantically search among the dying down crowds of people in the streets for the three men who took Mom, Dad, and Tatiana. So what if Fletcher didn't want to help, it's not my problem. Anger boils within me, causing me to fall unfocused. Who the hell did he think he was? I groan, fed up with my brother’s uncaring ways.


I finally stumble upon the large open Square, the numbing pain of something dark dawning upon me as I first notice the infamous stake. It was a large wooden pole, towering high on a stone pedestal, stairs on each side leading up to the platform. The gathered crowd blurs out of vision. Chained to the stake are roughly 20 people, men, women, and children. My limbs are weighed down as I trudge through the human quicksand. Then I see her. She holds a small child in her one arm, a hand disappeared into a man’s hand. Mom. I can't tell if my voice forms around the thoughts, but Mom looks over with a weak smile. Dad’s tears bring my heart aching over something unknown, something new, something so raw. I rush over, but hear no footsteps, hollers, or wails. I'm drowning.


“Rae.” I hear my mother’s whispers as I rush up the stairs. Sounds suddenly rush in a tidal wave. Guards start to take me away, but a sudden light envelopes the two men. Their grip is loosened until it’s gone; the light fades leaving nothing but air, “Leave my babies alone!” She hollers.


“So be it, Mrs. Lovell.” An older man steps towards the stake and unwraps Tatiana, handing her to me. Mom and Dad are still strapped up.


“Let them go!” Wails escape from only a confused child. They come from a terrified, out of her mind, child. I hold Tatiana close. She shakes terribly, gripping my shoulders with her tiny hands.


“Ms. Lovell, we’re only doing what’s best.” The man looks towards me, his thinning dark hair combed neatly to the side, jewels lining every inch of his frail but tall body, ¨You’ll thank me later after these monsters are put to rest.”


Demon’s must have possessed me because the man flinches a bit at my gaze upon him. What was first seen, the claws, fangs, horns? Maybe he felt the heat of anger boil from me feet away, or the earth below him quake into a disturbed growl. Guards beckon me back into the crowd, but with Tatiana in my hands, I can’t squirm away from them. Energy seeps out from my body as I look at Mom and Dad nearly exhausted. I couldn’t save them this time. This was it.


“Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you forth tonight to celebrate the extinguishing of a handful of Flintwood’s magic praisers.” The same man who was addressing me earlier speaks from his spot on the pedestal, gems clinking together a toast to this dreadful celebration, “These men, women, and children have been caught along the streets of Flintwood using various methods of magic praising. Whether they be a wizard, or just a worshipper of the forest spirits, they pay the ultimate price for going behind our backs.” He goes on with his speech for a while before he states every name of the people that are chained to the stake. I bite my lip as I share a glance with Mom. Her sapphire eyes always comforted me, but when she leaves me, I’ll never see them again.


“Mommy?” Tatiana looks towards Mom, confused and innocent.
“Don’t worry, honey, Mommy will be okay.” Mom’s voice never wavers, “Mommy will always be here.”


“But Mom-” A guard suddenly shoves an elbow into my side, a warning to keep silent. Mom, noticing this, just smiles weakly. Tears start to stream down my cheeks, but I notice something shine at Mom’s feet, having dropped. She motions towards it, and with a nod, and stealthily take it, sliding it into my pocket.


“-and now, the moment you all have been waiting for…” The man on the pedestal releases a devilish grin as a torch is handed to him by the guard who had elbowed me. The crowd roars. Dad looks towards me, giving me a small smile, “May these worshippers be put to death!”


I turn Tatiana away as the blaze eats the wooden stake and the people chained to it. Mom and Dad disappear into the flames, no sign of them whatsoever. Screams emerge from the suffering, cheers escape from the crowd, but all that falls from me is sorrow, loss, and pain, so much pain. I turn away quickly and tackle people out of my way to stagger my way unsteadily towards the street I came down from, towards the street my parents walked down to their death. As I break free from the throngs of people, I hear one holler over the rest of them.


“Down with Flintwood!”